GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Acadia had a smoother ride, dual sunroofs, nicer interior, and my husband thought the Pilot's hood looked "wussy" and he refused to buy a Pilot. So we went with the Acadia! ::)

My SIL has a Pilot, and my in laws were here for a week from the east coast, and drove in both of our cars and said ours was WAY nicer. (Of course ours is an SLT2 loaded.... but they said the drive was much smoother in ours by far.)

JMHO

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think the Pilot's 3rd row and cargo area behind the 3rd row are going to be smaller than in the Acadia. If you don't need the extra room, then this may not be a big deal for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Before I bought my 2007 Acadia I had it narrowed down to the Acadia or the Pilot. Four things that changed my mind about the pilot:
- I hate the steering column shifter on the pilot. The console shifter is just better for me
- The 3rd row seats did not fold down flat in the back of the Pilot
- the headrests on the 3 row seat had to be taken off and stowed in the storage compartment vs. just folding down on the Acadia
- The Pilot is really in need of a make-over

The cargo area was critical for me along with the ease of storing the 3rd row seats.

Just one guys take on the two.

On a side note - I am a huge Honda fan and really wanted to love the Pilot. Very nice ride, just didn't feel as roomy and cool as the Acadia. We have owned 3 Hondas previously and I just bought my wife a 2008 Honda Accord EXL... Hell of a car.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As you can see from an old post, I own both vehicles. I'm also a member of both this Acadia forum and the HondaPilot.org forums.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=666.msg9224#msg9224

My reasons for purchasing each vehicle were a bit different. When I bought the Pilot I only had two kids. Now I have 3 kids. We were initially looking at mini-vans, but went with the Acadia, because with the 2nd row captain chairs, it's essentially a mini-van on the inside.

I had to pre-order by 2003 Honda Pilot as it was in its first year run. I also pre-ordered by 2007 GMC Acadia as it too was in its first year run. Yes I'm a sucker for having the latest and greatest. Both vehicles are top of the line models (Acadia SLT-2, Pilot EXL). After putting 15k miles now in my Acadia and 90k miles in my Pilot... here are a couple thoughts I have on both vehicles:

While they both compete in the same 3 row "mid sized" SUV space. The Acadia is a much bigger vehicle. I think because of this size difference, I feel like I can toss my Pilot back and forth jumping in and out of lanes as I dodge traffic much easier then the Acadia. While they both don't have big engines, they both have decent/comparable acceleration (yes I had my Acadia tranny flash and yes that made a big difference for me). The difference is at highway speeds, where the Acadia drives much smoother, quieter(less wind noise), and feels like a luxury liner compared to the Pilot.

Rearward vision in the Acadia is at a premium. As a result backing up is a bit tougher (thank god for rear sensors and now with the 08's with the backup camera). Vision in the Pilot is good all around.

The 3rd row in the Pilot seems like an after thought. Engineers just put it there to claim 3 rows availability. The Pilot's 3rd row is really only for children. Adult’s knees jam up against the 2nd row, shoulder space is less then the Acadia, and getting into and out of the Pilot 3rd row requires a circus contortion act. The Acadia 3rd row is much more spacious. Adults can live back there comfortably. Getting into and out of the Acadia 3rd row is much easier with the sliding 2nd row. With the 3rd row up in my Honda Pilot, I cannot store my 2 seat stroller in the trunk without taking it apart (i.e. popping off the wheels). In the Acadia, stroller fits in the trunk easily with the 3rd row up.

In my opinion they Acadia is drop dead gorgeous, with it's broad shoulders and more muscular look, while the Pilot has that weak, plain and dated SUV look.

I have captain’s chairs in my Acadia. My kids love that they can go to the 3rd row via the middle isle. Both vehicles are equipped with rear entertainment DVD; both perform on par with each other. I love my Acadia’s HUD, DIC, HIDs, dual sunroofs, and tire pressure monitoring system. The 03 Pilot does not have these options.

With 90k miles in my 03 Pilot, it still drives as if it were a new vehicle, for Honda’s 90k miles is just breaking it in! Problems encountered, requiring trips to the dealer:
1. At 80k my driver’s power window motor had to be replaced.

With 15k miles in my 07 Acadia, problems encountered, requiring trips to the dealer:
1. Dead battery issue
2. Tranny flash
3. Stabili Trak warning light

Result: We still love our Acadia. Both my wife and I fight over the keys everyday. We have a rule... dirty work (malls, grocery, garden, etc) goes to the old Honda Pilot while the Acadia gets the posh work.

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
johnway said:
Drumr said:
- The Pilot is really in need of a make-over
I agree the Pilot needs a makeover in a big way, kind of a boring design. Unfortunately the 2009 prototype of the makeover is not very impressive IMO.

http://jalopnik.com/344160/detroit-auto-show-2009-honda-pilot-unveiled

Looks like a Ford Escape on steriods. :D

If I were going to drive something that looked like the new Pilot, I'd just as soon have a '70 Ford Bronco (orange and white, thank you very much)!

·
Registered
148 Posts
-The Pilot is ugly.

-Smaller

-Gets worse gas mileage.

I picked between the Pilot and the Acadia as well. Really it was a no brainer for me. The Pilot drive was uncomfortable, the seats were uncomfortable, the interior was boring and seemed like the 4-runner I used to drive in 1995, and overall it did nothing for me. The Acadia's interior blows it away without a doubt, much roomier, lays down flat, 3rd row can actually be used but normal sized human beings. The exterior is not even comparable, the Pilot is a borefest, when one drives by do you even look at it? It's boring.

·
Registered
275 Posts
wantanewcar said:
I love the looks of the Acadia/Outlook, but the price tag of the Pilot. What are the pros and cons?
More details please. Since they are toe-to-toe concerning price (with the premium going to the Pilot), the only advantage would be finance rates (if financing).

·
Registered
108 Posts
We have one of each, they are both dependable. They each have there purpose in our family, My husband drives the Pilot, loves everything about it! I drive it on occation when I need to park in a parking garage or Hospital lot, it is much easier to park. It's nice to drive but the only thing besides price that I like better about the Pilot is its headrests are more comfortable than the Acadias. If your putting small kids in the third row seat the Pilot is fine but cramped for older kids.
The Acadia is mine, it's our family car and I love everything about it. We bought it for the van like interior and space and I love the look of it.

Has anyone else noticed the 2009 Pilot looks very much like Izu Trooper!
Lee

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My wife and I compared both, the acadia is a nicer vehicle.
After owning a honda element, don't think I'd buy another honda.
Customer service is poor with honda, reliabilty has been about average.
I'm not too impressed with Honda.

·
Registered
492 Posts
wantanewcar said:
I love the looks of the Acadia/Outlook, but the price tag of the Pilot. What are the pros and cons?
Wantanewcar, after seeing your post I realized I know nothing about the Honda Pilot and went to the website to build a few and learn about it, just as I did with the GMC Acadia over a year ago.

As a southern gentleman (hick). Its Friday night ( :beer: ) , and I have been known to have a little fun on here now & then, I can give my thoughts & (subliminal message) on my findings. Mind you I am a bit biased as having owned an Acadia(USA) for 354 days. So no offense ( like Tampa bay) please.

I went to the Pilot web page & built a few. WTF :eek: when I optioned the Honda (not USA) out max to try to equal my Acadia, it was $40534 :eek: . Just yesterday I was fooling around on the Acadia site building a few just to see what was new. I then realized that if I had left out the sunroof ($1300), Rear DvD ($$$$$ something) & 19 inch wheels (more$$$$) I could have an Acadia (nice ride USA) with more stuff @ the same price as a loaded Pilot (turd on 4 wheels) 8) and would not have had to add XM as a add on & got no OnStar.

Unless your price range is the plane jane no option Pilot (booooring) Then the more equipped Acadia for a few $$ more is not a good choice.

But if you are looking at a few options on the pilot it adds up. Compare the price to an Acadia and you will see you will get more with the GMC (USA). IE: I built a well equipped Pilot @ $40500. For the same price I built a bigger, more equipped, (HID, HUD, Liftgate, XM, etc) larger (more room) better riding, more power, better MPG, than the pilot.

The Pilot says 3 rows-will seat 8. HahaHa :rofl: yea right (I ain't stupid). If i sneeze in one of those I will put someone's eye out.

Pros- You will look good in a Pilot ( 4 wheel turd) (Not attractive) . You will look like a million $$ in a Acadia. Idea... take the body off a Acadia and put it over the Pilot (yes it will fit inside) and look smart.

I could go on but I remind you that I'm just poking a little fun. No Offense. If a Pilot is more interesting or meets the budget, I'm sure it's a great car. If you get any options I'd compare prices and see if you get more for your $$$ on an Acadia.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Again just having some fun. racefla :cheers:

·
Registered
812 Posts
to compare
Racefla said:
wantanewcar said:
Wantanewcar, after seeing your post I realized I know nothing about the Honda Pilot and went to the website to build a few and learn about it, just as I did with the GMC Acadia over a year ago.

I could go on but I remind you that I'm just poking a little fun. No Offense. If a Pilot is more interesting or meets the budget, I'm sure it's a great car. If you get any options I'd compare prices and see if you get more for your $$$ on an Acadia.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Again just having some fun. racefla :cheers:
:ditto: the current Pilot has been around for years, a much better comparison would be the upcoming new 09 model. but for now, its the Acadia hands down!!! ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I really do LOVE the looks of the Acadia, so I think it's between that and the Outlook for us. Just not sure if I want a Saturn....

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you get a Pilot, I'd go for the new one...The Acadia looks 10x better, but the new Pilot looks better than the old in my opinion...

However, check out the Acura MDX forum at http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/ to see what types of problems they've been having. The Acura MDX and Honda Pilot are basically the same underneath. Some Acura MDX owners have been reporting noisy suspension, ridiculously thin paint that nicks easily, ill-fitting body panels, cheap interior trim, etc. Obviously some of these issues are 1st year gremlins, and the Acadia has had some as well. Keep in mind that nowadays Hondas and Toyotas aren't any better than a GM or Ford in terms of reliability. I've heard of Hondas, Acuras, and Toyotas with major transmission issues requiring a complete replacement. Try doing a search on Google for "Honda Pilot transmission problems" and you will see.

You should also clarify how much the maintenance is going to cost if you plan to keep the car past the warranty. I'm not sure about the new Honda 3.7 V-6, but the older one had a timing belt. This is an expensive maintenance cost that hits around 90-100K. Parts are more expensive too.

Nevertheless, if you take care of a car, it will last. The key is proper maintenance. Go with the SUV that make you happy to be driving it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts