GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a vacation to the Lake of the Ozarks over Memorial Day weekend with family. The trip was about 360 miles round-trip (with about another 100 miles of misc. driving) and we took two vehicles for 7 people: our Acadia and my mother-in-law's GX470. My wife, not being comfortable driving unfamiliar vehicles, drove the Acadia and I got to drive the Lexus, unfortuately as I learned during the trip.

Interior: First thing I missed was XM, but at least it had an AUX input for an iPod. Stereo sound quality was far behind the Bose system in the Acadia too, but the Lexus didn't have the optional Mark Levinson system to make a fair comparison. Another observation about the GX's interior: It's snoozville. This may be what Lexus buyers like, but two different shades of tan just don't do it for me (then again, we got the Brick interior for our Acadia to spice things up ;D ) Advantage: Acadia

Interior Part 2: The biggest complaint I had with the GX was the uncomfortable seats. The leather material was nice, perhaps a touch better than our Acadia, but the cushions were thin and hard, and way too short to provide adequate under-thigh support (and I'm only 6' tall). In addition, it felt like I was sitting on the floor with the seat adjusted to its highest setting (something I've found common in several Toyota corp. vehicles from some reason). For being in a tall SUV, Toyota doesn't seem to want you to feel like it. An hour and a half into the drive there, we thankfully stopped for a restroom break since my legs and keister were falling asleep. :sleepy: Advantage: Acadia

Driving Dynamics: Anyway, back on the road I found the extra power of the GX's 4.7L V-8 welcome when the opportunity came up to pass on the mostly twisty, two-lane highways. The Acadia's V-6 out-horsepowers the GX 275 hp to 263 hp, but the extra 72 lb-ft torque of the V-8 (323 lb-ft vs. 251 lb-ft) was nice. However, I found the Lexus decidedly truck-like in its maneuvering (hardly surprising since it is a body-on-frame SUV), and I found myself having a hard time keeping up with the wife when the road got really twisty, and having to use the brakes in turns much more often than she did. Advantage: Tie

Interior Part 3: Cargo room wasn't a big issue since we took two vehicles, but with all 3-rows of seats in use the Acadia had much more room behind the 3rd row for cargo. Additionally, once at the lake when we all wanted to use one vehicle to carry everyone, the Acadia was pretty much a no-brainer. The way-back of the Acadia was significantly more passenger friendly, especially for adults who wanted nothing to do with the 3rd row jumpseating in the GX. Advantage: Acadia

Financial: For the approximate 460 miles that we drove, the Acadia averaged 21.6 mpg, using roughly 21.3 gallons @ $3.85/gallon for $82 in fuel. The GX470 averaged 16.1 mpg, using approx 28.6 gallons of premium @ $4.05/gallon for $115 in fuel. An interesting note here, the hand-calculated mileage of the Acadia was 21.6 mpg with the DIC showing 21.8 mpg. For the GX, I calculated 16.1 mpg, but its trip computer showed a wildly optimistic 19.2 mpg. :eek: During the trip to the lake, right after I had reset the mpg average and had only been doing highway driving, the GX's computer showed I was getting over 20 mpg, even though the EPA estimates only 18 for highway. Advantage: Acadia

I know this is just a snapshot of both vehicles and they aren't really direct competitors, but at least for the short time I was able to make direct comparisons I couldn't have been happier with our Acadia, especially since it lists for about $10K less than the Lexus. :cheers:

And one final note: On Sunday I was able to slide a 78-inch tall x 46-inch wide bookcase into the back of the Acadia with the 2nd and 3rd rows down, instead of having to use my truck and get the bookcase rained on. :thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow... great comparison... Maybe slightly biased ;D But I found it very informative. Especially since our final choice was between the Toyota 4runner (GX470 = luxury 4runner) and the Acadia.. and we obviously went w/ the Acadia... mainly due to the 3rd row and fuel mileage concerns.

·
Registered
812 Posts
dont forget these Lexus have been around for ages not a direct ideal comparison when it comes to an Acadia but ill agree, have driven quite a few of them, only thing that stands out for me is the quality of the interior but not a fan of their styling, they are far from the driving dynamics of an Acura MDX or and Infinity FX much less the the Acadia, blame it on the body-on-frame chasis.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KBacon said:
Wow... great comparison... Maybe slightly biased ;D But I found it very informative. Especially since our final choice was between the Toyota 4runner (GX470 = luxury 4runner) and the Acadia.. and we obviously went w/ the Acadia... mainly due to the 3rd row and fuel mileage concerns.
Nah, I wouldn't think of being biased at all. 8)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts