GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Local paper had a write up on the Enclave today and praised the ride. I have no problems with the ride of the Acadia but am wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference in the suspension between the two?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I work as a salesperson at a Buick Pontiac GMC dealer and just came back from a ride and drive in New Jersey. GM brought an Acura MDX and a Lexus RX350 for camparison purposes and I got to ride and drive in all of the cars. The enclave is much quieter than the Acadia. The acoustic headliner, quiet steel floor, plusher interior, and quiet glass do a good job cancelling out noise. People always think that a quieter car rides better, but from the seat of my pants, the ride was a lot smoother to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
joetz said:
I work as a salesperson at a Buick Pontiac GMC dealer and just came back from a ride and drive in New Jersey. GM brought an Acura MDX and a Lexus RX350 for camparison purposes and I got to ride and drive in all of the cars. The enclave is much quieter than the Acadia. The acoustic headliner, quiet steel floor, plusher interior, and quiet glass do a good job cancelling out noise. People always think that a quieter car rides better, but from the seat of my pants, the ride was a lot smoother to me.

alright, but how did the fellow lamda-ite fair against the acura and lexus????

·
Registered
123 Posts
toastyz71 said:
joetz said:

well, in my personal opinion i would choose the enclave over the lexus and the acura. 1. they are too small especially that lexus. 2. i dont like the body of either one of them. 3. they cost too much money and are both over hyped and not worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
toastyz71 said:
joetz said:

Well, the weakest of the two cars I thought was the lexus. It had a windows sticker on the floor of the car that said it was 46,000 dollars and the car didn't have navigation at that price. It felt small, cramped, flimsy and overpriced, but it was faster. The Acura MDX surprised me. I thought it was a vastly superior car to the lexus. It had good steering, brakes, and handling, but it didn't ride as well as the Enclave, wasn't finished as well and wasn't anywhere near as spacious as the Buick. Both of them are noisier than the Enclave, but, as biased as I am, I must admit that they were both faster when you put the hammer down. The Lexus is so squishy and rocks around so much on it's suspension, I wouldn't feel too comfotable driving it very fast though. There were a couple of times on the course where the bobbing up and down got so out of hand I thought I was risking my safety as I hustled it through the cones.

They had some interesting tests comparing the cars. There was a trip wire on the road and when you drove over it, it set off two huge speakers that blasted "white noise" at the side of the car. With the windows up, you could barely hear it inside the Buick, but it was very bothersome in the other 2 cars. The Buick has some features on it that help it do a good job quieting the interior down that are missing on the acadia. It has special glass on the windshield and side windows with sound deadening properties. The steel on the floor of the car is "quiet steel" which is good at canceling out noise. There is an acoustic headliner which quiets things down too. We were handed a cup of foam that had the consistancy of concrete. This foam is squirted liberally in areas where noise can get through. There are also padded materials throughout the cabin which cancel out noise. The car was a lot quieter than the lexus which everyone considers to be one of the benchmarks for quietness these days

They also showed us how superior the AWD system is on the Lambda cars. They had a rubber surface on the asphalt they covered with dishwashing soap. They rolled the front wheels on the slick surface and then floored it in both cars. In the Acura and Lexus, what followed was a bit scary to witness first hand. The 2 japanese cars were very skittish, spinning their front tires and bucking wildly before engaging the rear wheels with lots of banging and shuddering. In the real world of ice and snow, I can imagine such a slow-witted system making for jerky, unsafe progress. When the Enclave was subjected to the same test, the Lambda AWD system engages in a way that is undetectable to the driver, passengers, or ounlookers outside of the vehicle. It just goes as if it had all 4 wheels on grippy asphalt.

The Buick Enclave is an amazing vehicle. It rides better than the Lexus without that floaty tippy ride and nautical body roll while **** near matching the handling of the MDX in a much larger vehicle. It's quieter than both cars, looks better, and is priced lower. The only area I think needs improvement is under the hood. Cadillac is going to have a direct injection 300 hp version of this motor, but I would like to see a V8 offered. If it had an v8 I wouldn't have to concede that when you put the hammer down and keep it there that the competition is a bit quicker. I hear that the 5.3 liter v8 fits, so we'll see

·
Registered
123 Posts
i dont see what the big deal is about a gas guzzling v8 engine. my volvo is a 5 cylinder and that baby moooooooooves. im just fine w/the v6. the purpose of the lambda's was to create something comprable insize to the larger suv's interior and better on gas. so, why mess up a good thing w/ a friggin v8 engine. that crap is over rated. most people drive to darn fast anyway, turning the darn hwys into race tracks. slow down people you are rushing your lives away.

i drove the enclave and the acadia and i like the enclave much better for ride and quietness. as i said b4 the mdx and the lexus are just over hyped cars that are not worth the money. the saturn lambda body still looks better than the gmc acadia. this is all imo.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Keith said:
Curious as to why you bought the Acadia then. You prefer the look of the Saturn and ride of the Enclave.
didnt buy the acadia just drove it.... buying the enclave.... and gave my opoinion of the acadia as the ? suggested. didnt say i didnt like it just said the body of the saturn looks better

·
Registered
9 Posts
We looked at the Acadia and Enclave and finally decided on the Acadia because gas mileage. The Acadia gets better gas mileage ( 17 and 24 mpg vs 16 and 22 awd). The Enclave interior seems nicer though.

·
Registered
425 Posts
joetz said:
toastyz71 said:
joetz said:

Well, the weakest of the two cars I thought was the lexus. It had a windows sticker on the floor of the car that said it was 46,000 dollars and the car didn't have navigation at that price. It felt small, cramped, flimsy and overpriced, but it was faster. The Acura MDX surprised me. I thought it was a vastly superior car to the lexus. It had good steering, brakes, and handling, but it didn't ride as well as the Enclave, wasn't finished as well and wasn't anywhere near as spacious as the Buick. Both of them are noisier than the Enclave, but, as biased as I am, I must admit that they were both faster when you put the hammer down. The Lexus is so squishy and rocks around so much on it's suspension, I wouldn't feel too comfotable driving it very fast though. There were a couple of times on the course where the bobbing up and down got so out of hand I thought I was risking my safety as I hustled it through the cones.

They had some interesting tests comparing the cars. There was a trip wire on the road and when you drove over it, it set off two huge speakers that blasted "white noise" at the side of the car. With the windows up, you could barely hear it inside the Buick, but it was very bothersome in the other 2 cars. The Buick has some features on it that help it do a good job quieting the interior down that are missing on the acadia. It has special glass on the windshield and side windows with sound deadening properties. The steel on the floor of the car is "quiet steel" which is good at canceling out noise. There is an acoustic headliner which quiets things down too. We were handed a cup of foam that had the consistancy of concrete. This foam is squirted liberally in areas where noise can get through. There are also padded materials throughout the cabin which cancel out noise. The car was a lot quieter than the lexus which everyone considers to be one of the benchmarks for quietness these days

They also showed us how superior the AWD system is on the Lambda cars. They had a rubber surface on the asphalt they covered with dishwashing soap. They rolled the front wheels on the slick surface and then floored it in both cars. In the Acura and Lexus, what followed was a bit scary to witness first hand. The 2 japanese cars were very skittish, spinning their front tires and bucking wildly before engaging the rear wheels with lots of banging and shuddering. In the real world of ice and snow, I can imagine such a slow-witted system making for jerky, unsafe progress. When the Enclave was subjected to the same test, the Lambda AWD system engages in a way that is undetectable to the driver, passengers, or ounlookers outside of the vehicle. It just goes as if it had all 4 wheels on grippy asphalt.

The Buick Enclave is an amazing vehicle. It rides better than the Lexus without that floaty tippy ride and nautical body roll while **** near matching the handling of the MDX in a much larger vehicle. It's quieter than both cars, looks better, and is priced lower. The only area I think needs improvement is under the hood. Cadillac is going to have a direct injection 300 hp version of this motor, but I would like to see a V8 offered. If it had an v8 I wouldn't have to concede that when you put the hammer down and keep it there that the competition is a bit quicker. I hear that the 5.3 liter v8 fits, so we'll see
Joetz...you don't happen to live in the Dayton, OH area do you? They had a course setup over at the Nutter Center at Wright State last week where they were having people (maybe dealership salesmen or Consumer Reports type people drive different cars/trucks on a closed course with numerous challenges (braking on wet surfaces, simulated rough road, tight cornering tests, etc). I stopped at the gas station across the street from where they were doing the testing. It was quite entertaining to watch...but would much rather be driving on the course.

·
Registered
468 Posts
CaroleV said:
We looked at the Acadia and Enclave and finally decided on the Acadia because gas mileage. The Acadia gets better gas mileage ( 17 and 24 mpg vs 16 and 22 awd). The Enclave interior seems nicer though.
Actually it probably doesn't get any different mileage. The EPA ratings system changes for 2008 model year, which the Enclave is. I fully suspect the 2008 Acadia to match the Enclave's lower numbers once the 2008's come out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Whats the price difference between the Acadia and the Enclave?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Keith said:
No offense taken Ms S. Just curious. Did not know you bought the Enclave
np hun... im between all 3 forums ;D reading, checking out pics and enjoying. the information from the 3 forums is great because the cars are on the same platform just diff body styles. all are good cars it just depends on your style preference.

zman, i think you are correct regarding the mileage and i also think the 08 acadia will change and reflect the same mileage average. 2 tiny miles between the two didnt make a diff anyway in influcing my decision it was not big enough to matter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
fenwah said:
Joetz...you don't happen to live in the Dayton, OH area do you? They had a course setup over at the Nutter Center at Wright State last week where they were having people (maybe dealership salesmen or Consumer Reports type people drive different cars/trucks on a closed course with numerous challenges (braking on wet surfaces, simulated rough road, tight cornering tests, etc). I stopped at the gas station across the street from where they were doing the testing. It was quite entertaining to watch...but would much rather be driving on the course.
This ride and drive was in New Jersey and I work in Connecticut. The Acadia one was a few months before the Enclave Ride and Drive. When we went for the GMC Acadia event, they brought along a Honda Pilot and a Dodge Durango. The GM people at the event warned us not to be wreckless. "Be careful when you drive the Pilot because the Pilot doesn't handle as well as the Acadia" The Durango I can forgive for being a big heavy feeling truck, because that's what it is and it can tow a lot. There is nothing like a big wide open space to probe the limits of a vehicle and weaknesses show up very quickly that may not show up on a short test drive. It didn't take much for the Pilot to fishtail. The Acadia was a much better car than either of these cars. The Acadia Ride and Drive reminded me of the Ride and Drive we did for the GMC Sierra trucks when they came out earlier this year. The new GM pickups are so hysterically superior, the entire event was a bit of a joke. At the pickup truck ride and drive they brought a Nissan Titan, a Ford F150 and a Dodge Ram and it was like comparing wheel barrows to a concord jets. The Acura MDX and Lexus RX were quite a step up from the pilot and durango.

I asked someone who has been in the business for a while if our cars were always better at these ride and drives or if this is a relatively new phenomenon. He told me that in the not to distant past the cars GM often brought to these events were actually better than the GM cars. If the Lambda cars and the new GM trucks are a sign of what to expect in the future from GM, then I'm very excited about the cars we'll be seeing in the next few years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IScubaSlo said:
I believe it starts at a thousand dollars higher, but it has a lot of standard equipment like HID lights and the motorized liftgate. Also, you can get NAV in a cloth Enclave, so sometimes you can wind up with a less expensive vehicle when comparably equipped.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I noticed that if I went online and ordered an Enclave with the same options as my Acadia it would actually be cheaper than the Acadia.......I just assumed that the Buick would be more...........

·
Registered
48 Posts
IScubaSlo said:
Base price on the Enclave is higher. But, after adding options and packages to equip them as close as possible, they price out very close. I think that syling and feature differences will drive the decision between the two much more than any price difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
zman said:
CaroleV said:
Actually it probably doesn't get any different mileage. The EPA ratings system changes for 2008 model year, which the Enclave is. I fully suspect the 2008 Acadia to match the Enclave's lower numbers once the 2008's come out.
All Lambda's share the same MPG numbers. The 2008 Enclave (by law) must ship with the new 2008 EPA numbers. 2008 Outlook and Acadia will also ship with these numbers. See http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp for 2008 numbers of 2007 and earlier vehicles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts