GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just revealed tonight and, as nice as it looks, lets get into the nitty gritty. For comparison sake, I am putting the 4 door against the Acadia.

Acadia vs Bronco

Wheelbase - 112.5 vs 116
Length - 193.4 vs 189.5
Width - 75.4 vs 86.6
Height - 66.7 vs 78.7

Headroom Front - 40 vs 40.8
Headroom Rear - 40 vs 40.1
Legroom Front - 41 vs 43.1
Legroom Rear - 39.7 vs 36.3
Shoulder Room Front - 59 vs 57.1
Shoulder Room Rear - 59 vs 56.5
Hip Room Front - 56 vs 55.9
Hip Room Rear - 53 vs 54.8

So, in essence, you have a vehicle that has a 3.5 inch longer wheelbase, is 11.2 inches wider, 12 inches taller, but 3.9 inches shorter in length, and its SMALLER inside ?!?! I mean, it looks good, comes with the 2.3L EcoBoost standard with the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 optional making 310hp/400tq with either the 10A or 7M trans. However, considering its actually smaller inside while being a larger vehicle, I can't see myself making the change.

Share your thoughts.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I am thinking that since they flopped big time on the F150 reveal and design, they had a LOT riding on this Bronco. And it may actually sell, but once people compare similar models, there is no comparison. However, I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
After looking at most of the Ford lineup. . . including further comparing our Acadia to Edge and Explorer my findings are similar.
In interior room, wheel base, cargo space, seating versatility, ride, and price. . . . Acadia comes out on top for us. Yes there are some tech widgets standard on some Ford trim levels that might be only available on a Denali trim, but other than 2 or 3 tech/camera/perimeter tools the Acadia is the better buy and offers a 3rd row rear seating if desired from time to time. And. . .. when the 3rd row is folded down, the cargo room is comparable or greater than Ford counterparts.
Lastly. . I can't get past the turbo engines all requiring Premium fuel at $0.50 to $0.60 a gallon more at fill up time.
The Acadia 310HP and 0-60 MPH time is more than most people would ever need and on Regular grade gasoline.
Even the Ford Escape and Ecosport compact CUV require Premium fuel.

Reactions: generalstuart1

·
Registered
250 Posts
Lastly. . I can't get past the turbo engines all requiring Premium fuel at $0.50 to $0.60 a gallon more at fill up time.
A minimum octane rating of 87 is the requirement. Premium is recommended for the ecoboost engines but not required. Published HP and torque (and possibly fuel mileage) numbers are based on 91 (93?) octane and will be lower with 87.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
To me, comparing the new Bronco to the Acadia is an apples to oranges comparison. Bronco not meant to compete with the Acadia. Meant to compete with Jeep.

People are going to be buying it for it's off road ability and function. Not to many buy an Acadia for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The Ford vehicle that best compares to the Acadia is the Flex. Had one for a couple of weeks on my Vegas trip in 2019. It is an ugly vehicle, but lots of room and a good ride. Best of all it was easy for my son to transfer from his wheelchair into the front passenger sear.

George

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
A minimum octane rating of 87 is the requirement. Premium is recommended for the ecoboost engines but not required. Published HP and torque (and possibly fuel mileage) numbers are based on 91 (93?) octane and will be lower with 87.
Ford also says in some documents for at least the 2.0L . . .. Premium 91 octane is recommended.
My F150 owning brother and his Edge owning son both had the dealer service people tell them they would not use regular 87 octane in those engines. The 2.7L Ford turbo doesn't seem to like 87 octane also and OBD scanner monitoring reveals a high level of knock retard.
To me, it kind of defeats the purpose of having the turbo and potential power only to use fuel that cripples it and maybe also doesn't do the engine any good in the long term.

I'll take our 3.6L NA V6 LGX engine and the 310HP. I'm sure under some conditions any modern engine will sense knock and pull timing. But those small turbos are loosing a lot using 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Agree. . the Bronco is a different class of utility vehicle than Acadia.
Acadia (+2017) would best be compared with the Edge or Explorer with the Acadia in 5 seat configuration.
Then passenger and cargo space for each compare well.

Car reviewers and magazines always compare the +2017 Acadia with other CUV and SUV with 3rd row seating.
So it comes up short in some ways in that segment. But in the 5 seat configuration, or with the 3rd row folded flat, the Acadia compares well with Edge or Explorer. Actually, Acadia kind of straddles them in terms of passenger and cargo volume.
Plus, when comparing trim levels in those two Ford models, quite a few features and options trap a buyer into purchasing pricey packages (with sun roof, upscale radio, navigation) to get the same things ( like perforated leather seating, etc) that are present in even an Acadia SLT.
When we bought our 2019 Acadia SLT-1, we compared Acadia to Edge and Explorer in addition to pricing. Acadia delivers more at a lower price point even when adding in Ford or GMC incentives.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'll give them credit for at least trying to respect the Bronco name. Chevy should be ashamed for using the Blazer name for that vehicle.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
With Blazer . . . I could not understand GM's pricing considering it is made in Mexico while Acadia is made in Tennessee U.S.A.
I can see the appeal of the Blazer for some people who like the design which follows cues from the transplant CUV competition. But not for us especially when it came to pricing. Some dealers still have 2019 Blazers on their lots.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
With Blazer . . . I could not understand GM's pricing considering it is made in Mexico while Acadia is made in Tennessee U.S.A.
I can see the appeal of the Blazer for some people who like the design which follows cues from the transplant CUV competition. But not for us especially when it came to pricing. Some dealers still have 2019 Blazers on their lots.
I like the new Blazer, especially in RS trim. I agree it does seem pricey but it is designed to chase after the Lexus RX owner/buyer. It's on my short list of considerations when my lease is up next spring.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Isn't Chevy coming out with a TrailBlazer in 2021?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Even in China, where the Malibu was originally sold with the 1.3L 3 cylinder engines sales lagged.
" Many Chinese consumers, however, perceive cars with three-cylinder engines as noisier and prone to vibrating, and sales began to tumble in third quarter of 2018. "

So if even the Chinese did not like the 3 cylinder engines, why does GM think they will fly over here?

The noise and vibration aspects were the first thing to enter my mind besides the low power.

Back in the day, a guy I worked with and had to drive 50 miles to work every day had a Geo Metro with the Izuzu 1.0L 3 cylinder engine of 55 HP. He claimed he regularly got 44 MPG in the little Metro hatchback. But it was a rattle trap ride.

I don't understand what GM is thinking with the new TrailBlazer and it's choice of multiple engines, all being 3 cylinders.
It can't have very much appeal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Greetings! I bought a 2013 Acadia Denali AWD new from my local GMC Dealership. I would put my vehicle up against any new Ford SUV. Just to add to this conversation, I owned a 2005 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 for 8 Cyl. for 7 years. It never required a mechanical fix. I changed tires, oil and filters. It only had 35K miles at trade-in time for the Acadia. Somebody got an awesome vehicle. My current Acadia only has around 26K miles and is 7+ years. Right after my Arcadia hit 3 years, my A/C and Oil Pan Leak occurred. They were both expensive fixes, but fortunately I had an extended warranty which covered both repairs and car rental 100%.

P.S. The new Ford Explorers look awesome to me, but when the new models were built, they had to be shipped off to a secondary manufacturing plant to fix many issues the original manufacturing plant evidently created. Last time I checked, the top of the line Ford Explorer was in the $65,000 range.

Best of Luck to All.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can someone explain why we are comparing a family station wagon (Acadia) with an off-road SUV (Bronco)? Last I checked, most people aren't putting skids on an Acadia or jacking it up for 35" mudders.

Oh, and just for the record, the Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison diesel is still the best "stock" (as in can buy it straight from the manufacturer this way) off-roader/overlander out there. Probably why the U.S. military just made it the new Infantry Assault Vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just revealed tonight and, as nice as it looks, lets get into the nitty gritty. For comparison sake, I am putting the 4 door against the Acadia.

Acadia vs Bronco

Wheelbase - 112.5 vs 116
Length - 193.4 vs 189.5
Width - 75.4 vs 86.6
Height - 66.7 vs 78.7

Headroom Front - 40 vs 40.8
Headroom Rear - 40 vs 40.1
Legroom Front - 41 vs 43.1
Legroom Rear - 39.7 vs 36.3
Shoulder Room Front - 59 vs 57.1
Shoulder Room Rear - 59 vs 56.5
Hip Room Front - 56 vs 55.9
Hip Room Rear - 53 vs 54.8

So, in essence, you have a vehicle that has a 3.5 inch longer wheelbase, is 11.2 inches wider, 12 inches taller, but 3.9 inches shorter in length, and its SMALLER inside ?!?! I mean, it looks good, comes with the 2.3L EcoBoost standard with the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 optional making 310hp/400tq with either the 10A or 7M trans. However, considering its actually smaller inside while being a larger vehicle, I can't see myself making the change.

Share your thoughts.
They will sell Millions of Broncos. That vehicle has a large loyal following and it plugs a big hole in the market. If it’s build quality is good and turns out to be a reliable vehicle—look out. It’s hard to compare a Crossover like Acadia to it. 2 entire different niches.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts