GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 2009 Acadia SLT-2 AWD. I really want the Acadia because you can get more options for your money then on the MDX, but my wife wants the MDX for luxury purposes. After all it is going to be her car. Has anyone driven both cars? The MDX is nice but seems much smaller then the Acadia.

I live in Northern Nevada where it snows quite a bit during the winter. How is the All-Wheel Drive System? Does the Acadia handle well in the snow?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
:welcome: The Acadia is luxury as well, but if you want just a tad more, check out the Enclave. If it's wood trim, and a few more standard features, not to meation a longer warranty then the Acadia, then the Enclave would be the perfect vehicle for you. BUT, this is the Acadia forum, so I better shush up now. :p

(I've attached a photo of my dash, in case you haven't seen the Enclave's yet) (and my Enclave sitting next to an Acadia so you can see side by side comparison.)

Have fun shopping.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
I have the awd Acadia and it does fine in the snow. We had about 100" where I live last winter and I never had a problem even when the roads were not plowed.

Hands down I would pick the MDX over the Acadia unless you need the room or you want to tow a trailer. I think the Acadia is rated to tow more but not sure. The MDX will handle better, has a lot more performance, and it's repair record is better than the GM brand. Mileage between the two should be close, but the MDX uses premium gas which cost more.
I personally would not buy another Acadia. The performance is lackluster at best, the quality control seems to be typical GM which is hit or miss, and unless you need the room it is a big car to drive and park. If you need the interior space it is worth a look, but I would look at all the others brands first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
Sounds like your wife wants the "Acura" in the driveway - GMC not enough status I guess so go for what makes her happy. I've driven both - MDX drives quite well but I chose the Acadia for the room, more bang for the buck and the lower repair and maintenance cost down the road. We have 31K on our Acadia now and its been completely trouble free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
mikemu said:
Sounds like your wife wants the "Acura" in the driveway - GMC not enough status I guess so go for what makes her happy. I've driven both - MDX drives quite well but I chose the Acadia for the room, more bang for the buck and the lower repair and maintenance cost down the road. We have 31K on our Acadia now and its been completely trouble free.
Your are probably right about maintenance cost, although my last Acura no more expensive to own than any other car I've had. Insurance might me higher on the Acura, but I bet five years from now the resale will be better on the Acura.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
What??? No one's played the "support domestic" card yet... I keed...

In all seriousness. Best thing to do is test drive both and buy the one you (both) like best and that suits your needs the best. But if the wife's giving you permission to spend more money (mdx) why not, hell go look at the Range Rover Sport if she wants something nice in the driveway (since when is the Acadia's ugly).

IMO, The Acadia is an awesome vehicle and I have no regrets buying one, but to each their own.

OT, BBC
Hands down I would pick the MDX over the Acadia unless you need the room or you want to tow a trailer. I think the Acadia is rated to tow more but not sure. The MDX will handle better, has a lot more performance, and it's repair record is better than the GM brand. Mileage between the two should be close, but the MDX uses premium gas which cost more.
I personally would not buy another Acadia. The performance is lackluster at best, the quality control seems to be typical GM which is hit or miss, and unless you need the room it is a big car to drive and park. If you need the interior space it is worth a look, but I would look at all the others brands first.
Just out of curiosity, why did you buy an Acadia then? Did you not test drive and research it before you bought it? Seems to me that since you dislike it so much (you complain in almost every post) that you should trade it off on something else, instead of constantly complaining about it :banghead:. That's what my parents taught me, if you don't like something, deal with it or do something about it.

Or maybe you're an Acura Salesperson. :confused: ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
jb_lambda said:
What??? No one's played the "support domestic" card yet... I keed...

In all seriousness. Best thing to do is test drive both and buy the one you (both) like best and that suits your needs the best. But if the wife's giving you permission to spend more money (mdx) why not, hell go look at the Range Rover Sport if she wants something nice in the driveway (since when is the Acadia's ugly).

IMO, The Acadia is an awesome vehicle and I have no regrets buying one, but to each their own.

OT, BBC
Just out of curiosity, why did you buy an Acadia then? Did you not test drive and research it before you bought it? Seems to me that since you dislike it so much (you complain in almost every post) that you should trade it off on something else, instead of constantly complaining about it :banghead:. That's what my parents taught me, if you don't like something, deal with it or do something about it.

Or maybe you're an Acura Salesperson. :confused: ;D
I bought the Acadia as a gift for my wife who at the time needed a large vehicle. I wanted to buy a domestic make because I thought it was the right thing to do and I thought GM had improved their quality since my last GM purchase. You are right I should have researched it more but due to time I did not. I have never been wild about the MDX styling and I am not still so I was not drawn to one. I seldom drive the car so I can live with it's faults and I think the automotive world is in a state of flux currently so my guess is that in the next couple of years there is going to be some big changes in fuel mileage and the cars we drive so I will wait for the next generation of cars before I buy again. I try and be honest in my assessment of my Acadia, but I am not going to tell someone to buy one if I don't believe in the vehicle myself and by the way my Acadia is in the shop as I write this to have the steering column replaced delaying my leaving on vacation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I bought the Acadia as a gift for my wife who at the time needed a large vehicle. I wanted to buy a domestic make because I thought it was the right thing to do and I thought GM had improved their quality since my last GM purchase. You are right I should have researched it more but due to time I did not. I have never been wild about the MDX styling and I am not still so I was not drawn to one. I seldom drive the car so I can live with it's faults
Thanks for the response, I understand what you are saying.

I read your posts as "you absolutely hated the Acadia, and will do anything possible to make sure no one buys one". Not along the lines of "you're happy (for the most part), but there are some things that you really hate about it. Believe me was in the same boat when selecting the Acadia. I wanted something bigger (Yukon Denali), but the wife didn't want to drive it around town. So this was our compromise.

I think the automotive world is in a state of flux currently so my guess is that in the next couple of years there is going to be some big changes in fuel mileage and the cars we drive so I will wait for the next generation of cars before I buy again.
I totally agree with you. I look forward to see what they come up with. Hopefully performance won't suck as bad as the late 70's. There is ways to have the cake and eat it too.

and by the way my Acadia is in the shop as I write this to have the steering column replaced delaying my leaving on vacation.
Sorry to hear that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
big bear craig said:
Your are probably right about maintenance cost, although my last Acura no more expensive to own than any other car I've had. Insurance might me higher on the Acura, but I bet five years from now the resale will be better on the Acura.
Correct on the resale but I never ever buy for resale value.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
mikemu said:
Correct on the resale but I never ever buy for resale value.
I agree - if you're concerned about resale you should never buy any new car. You're going to take a big bath on all of them so I don't concern myself too much with the relative size of the bath. New cars are the worst investment this side of Bernie Madoff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
Since I own both an Acadia and an Enclave I would IMPLORE you to please take your wife to see an Enclave before you let her talk you into the Acura. With the exception of the interior 2nd row and back, the Enclave is a COMPLETELY different vehicle than the Acadia. It is luxury at it's best in ride, quietness, exterior "wow" factor and interior luxury feel. Even the "silk infused" leather seats in the Enclave leave you with a much more pampered feeling. If it's lux she wants, the Enclave will blow away the Acura and Lexus if she will just give it a fair consideration. Good luck on your decision and thanks for seriously considering GM!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
09Enclave said:
:welcome: The Acadia is luxury as well, but if you want just a tad more, check out the Enclave. If it's wood trim, and a few more standard features, not to meation a longer warranty then the Acadia, then the Enclave would be the perfect vehicle for you. BUT, this is the Acadia forum, so I better shush up now. :p

(I've attached a photo of my dash, in case you haven't seen the Enclave's yet) (and my Enclave sitting next to an Acadia so you can see side by side comparison.)

Have fun shopping.
Hey man, I didn't know you bought an Acadia too! Good for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
loach said:
I agree - if you're concerned about resale you should never buy any new car. You're going to take a big bath on all of them so I don't concern myself too much with the relative size of the bath. New cars are the worst investment this side of Bernie Madoff.
Precisely - a well maintained used car is really the way to go but we all fall for the temptation for brand new when we enter the showroom. I bought my daughter a used Mustang - on road for nine months with 11K miles - was close to one half the original sticker. Granted it was in 05 when the new design was just released but it was still a steal in my opinion.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,420 Posts
spydergs1 said:
I am looking at purchasing a 2009 Acadia SLT-2 AWD. I really want the Acadia because you can get more options for your money then on the MDX, but my wife wants the MDX for luxury purposes.
Well man, at least your wife doesn't want a Mercedes or BMW equivalent. Now there's a real waste of money for "luxury."

In this line of vehicles, there are no really 'good' or really 'bad' ones. I like my Acadia! It looks sharp, drives well, and has enough room for anything I want to do in it. GMC has always been the luxury arm of GM's truck and utility vehicle business - all the way to the large 18-wheeler types. Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and (yes) even Buick jumped to a band-wagon on which they should never have hitched a ride. (frankly, I feel that way about Acura, Infinity, Lexus, Lincoln, Mercury, BMW and VW also)

I guess if mama wants to feel like she's driving a 'car' rather than a 'truck' then the MDX might be the way to go. It would be nice if you could persuade her into the GM line, though. Have her watch the new Enclave commercials!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
My wife and I were in the same predicament last year. I too looked at the Acura MDX as well as the Toyota Highlander, Lexus RX350, Honda Pilot/Odyssey, GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook, and Chevy Traverse. We landed up buying a Buick Enclave. Here's why:

- The interior design of the Buick Enclave is classy and fit and finish is excellent.

- Most people probably don't look underneath the car, but I did. I checked out both and the GM Lamdas frame/suspension seemed very rugged, better built.

- Acuras/Hondas are NOISY. I don't like a noisy luxury car. If you don't believe me, please go test drive the Acura on the freeway, then go test drive the Buick Enclave. One of the reasons for the Acura/Hondas being noisy is that they use thinner sheet metal, thinner glass, etc., to keep the weight down.

- The MDX's gas mileage is worse - check out the EPA ratings.

- The MDX's interior is not as roomy and the third row seat is tight. Again, go sit in both cars and you'll see.

- The MDX is overpriced. My base Enclave CX was about $10K less than the MDX but came with more features.

- I got scared owning a Honda/Acura because of all the horror stories I heard about transmission problems on earlier models. Do a search on google for "Honda transmission problems" and you'll see why. None of my Ford or GM cars ever had transmission failures. My family did have a Honda Accord and after 70,000 miles the transmission was giving out, so we have first hand experience of crappy honda/acura transmissions that don't last.

- I had a 97 Pontiac Firebird with over 145,000 miles and it still ran like new the day I sold it. Maintenance was inexpensive as well. Go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
I really like the interior space of the Acadia and the looks. A lot of thought and engineering went into the interior and it shows. I just wish the transmission had better programming and the vehicle was more responsive as far as power goes. This alone in my opinion is the Acadia biggest fault and no amount of wood and leather in the interior can correct this. Again I realize this is just my opinion and certainly not everyone will feel the same way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
big bear craig said:
I really like the interior space of the Acadia and the looks. A lot of thought and engineering went into the interior and it shows. I just wish the transmission had better programming and the vehicle was more responsive as far as power goes. This alone in my opinion is the Acadia biggest fault and no amount of wood and leather in the interior can correct this. Again I realize this is just my opinion and certainly not everyone will feel the same way.
The tranny definitely a bit of an annoyance but I concede the issue given the reasonably efficient hway MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,542 Posts
ccaats said:
Hey man, I didn't know you bought an Acadia too! Good for you!
Sorry to disappoint, but it's not our Acadia, it's a friend's vehicle. I took the picture originally to show the difference in our Silver Green vs. their Blue-Gold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,929 Posts
If you like a SMALL vehicle like the MDX,.......... go for it!! With shorter wheelbase, the ride might not be as smooth. With those shorter wheelbase vehicles, they recommend tire PSI of 30-33lbs to give you a smoother ride like the Acadia while sacrificing tire wear. Choose whatever makes one happy! Buy small or buy mamouth size.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,420 Posts
teetertotter said:
... Choose whatever makes one happy! Buy small or buy mammoth size.
How about intermediate? That's what category I believe the Acadia, Enclave, Outlook, Hummer H3, and Traverse are considered. Park any one of them next to a Suburban, Hummer H2 or full-sized Yukon and see what I mean!
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top