GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the true test of the Acadia tow limits. I hooked up my boat and put the Acadia to the test. Boat approx. 2800 lbs and trailer approx. 1500 lbs = 4300 lbs!! enjoy the pics. I'll post a tow review soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looking forward to the tow review. The Acadia looks pretty level. The front end is not way up. AWD or FWD?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AWD..very little or no sag in the rear-end. The front-end did not feel light.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You have a nice set-up! Looks great. Be sure to let us know how it tows.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The chrome bracket on the receiver is called a hitch buddy. It takes out all the play in the receiver and keeps it tight. There is no jolt when you start or stop.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thats sweet looking.

The other night I had a trailer hooked up and found out something neat:

When you lock the doors with the remote, and the parking lights blink twice, the trailer lights blink as well.

Simple minds are easy to please ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
crash2864 said:
The chrome bracket on the receiver is called a hitch buddy. It takes out all the play in the receiver and keeps it tight. There is no jolt when you start or stop.
Where can you find this 'hitch buddy'? Through Google, the only hitch buddy I could find was a special trailer thing that allowed you to tow a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Did you paint the GMC symbol on the front black? I knew someone was talking about it earlier but i dont remember who!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The GMC emblem is chrome. It's an after-market product.I'm not sure on the price, it was a gift...I'll check on it..

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Prcarp..I must correct myself.. It's call a "Hitch Vise" by Hitch Rider Racks Inc. In Sunnyvale Ca. Try hitchrider.com....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh that looks pretty good!!!!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
That boat makes the Acadia look small. I'm very much looking forward to your towing review as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will be posting my tow review as soon as the trailering wires get fixed, and I'm hoping that will be tomarrow..It has only took GMC a week to find the problem on the Acadia and come up with a fix...we will see if it works...

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the wiring fix GMC is working on? We recently tried to add an aftermarket hitch to our Acadia. GMC is telling the dealer that the Acadia is not intended to have an aftermarket hitch despite the trailer wiring which is already in place. They are working on a solution.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The trailer wiring was not connected properly. The GM engineers were unaware of this wiring problem, but found it to be true. They were going to send out a memo to the dealership on the fix, which involves doing a wiring bypass. The problem was that the center plug on the wiring harness was not working. After they did the fix I've had no problems.

·
Registered
405 Posts
FRW said:
You have a nice set-up! Looks great. Be sure to let us know how it tows.

:ditto:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's the story behind these photos. We own the travel trailer jointly with my wife's brother and his wife. Our first chance to tow it was at the end of April, when we took it out locally for two nights. Our SLE has the factory tow package and All Wheel Drive. It is rigged with a Prodigy brake controller, purchased online and installed by our GMC dealer. Contrary to other stories on this blog, the wiring was fine. When we hooked it up, the trailer brakes didn't work at first, but that turned out to be a faulty connection with the plug on the trailer end. The trailer is 3800 pounds dry/empty, so with a little stuff in it and in the vehicle, it is loaded to the max. It labored some and I could feel the load, but I was pleased with the way it worked. I was most comfortable at 50-55 MPH max and we got 11-12 mpg (our usual mileage is 21-22). It's not the way I prefer to drive, but it will be fine for short trips or leisurely longer ones. So - I'd be interested in other trailering photos and stories, if anyone else is willing to add them here.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
sanrivman,

Did you purchase the Acadia to be the primary tow vehicle for your travel trailer? What was your previous two vehicle? Considering the size of the vehicle and the trailer, it is impressive that any V-6 would be able to handle the complete load. I don't think I would want to make a cross country trip though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI..that travel trailer has a completely different type of braking system. If it had the same type as mine ...you would have had the same problem...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.