GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this as information on a certain situation that happened.

The Acadia was parked in the garage with the driver's window down and apparently I locked the doors with the remote (still trying to figure out why I would have locked the doors with the vehicle in the garage). The next morning my son came down to get into the vehicle, reached in a unlocked the driver's door (without the remote), opened the door and wham the alarm goes off. He finally gets the remote and turns off the alarm. Now a few minutes (about 5 minutes) later; my wife gets in to leave for work and nothing.........the vehicle won't start. She got all instrument lights etc, but no start. She ended up waiting a while longer and the vehicle started.

The morale of the story, if you accidentally trip the vehicle alarm be prepared to wait for the system to allow you to start the vehicle. I think there is a 15 minute delay once you activate the alarm. I kind of like this feature.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
jsimms said:
(still trying to figure out why I would have locked the doors with the vehicle in the garage).
Habit? I know I often lock the doors out of habit, even if I know I'm just running into the house to grab something and then leaving again. :)

I know not many people pay attention to car alarms in parking lots anymore, but at least the vehicle not starting for 15 minutes should slow down any would-be thief.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing; my wife swears I must have locked the vehicle, but I normally don't when I park it in the garage.............................memory is the first thing to go ;D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I thought the doors locked automatically after a certain amount of time. Mine does sometimes and doesn't at others. Not sure what I am doing differently.

I do like that it takes awhile before you can drive it after the alarm trips.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I think the auto locking thing is for when the vehicle is driven... Mrs. Blue has it set to lock the doors when it goes into gear (or hits 15 MPH?) & then unlock in park. If I recall correctly, this is set through the info center or possibly the radio for non-info center vehicles. I know on the '03 Impala I had all this stuff was set through the radio.

The starter timeout could really be a pain if you had to be someplace and this had happened.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I thought the start timeout would be reset if you lock and unlock the doors with remote then try starting it... I will go try it and see.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
bonk1313 said:
I thought the start timeout would be reset if you lock and unlock the doors with remote then try starting it... I will go try it and see.
Okay, i put the window down. Opened and closed the door, locked it with the remote. then reached in pulled the door lock up, then opened it with the handle on the outside. It beeped, I hit the unlock button one time, got in and it started on the first turn. odd.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
bonk1313 said:
bonk1313 said:
Okay, i put the window down. Opened and closed the door, locked it with the remote. then reached in pulled the door lock up, then opened it with the handle on the outside. It beeped, I hit the unlock button one time, got in and it started on the first turn. odd.
Maybe jsimms' Acadia behaved differently because the alarm continued to go off until his son was able to locate the key fob and reset it?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Web Raven said:
bonk1313 said:
bonk1313 said:
Maybe jsimms' Acadia behaved differently because the alarm continued to go off until his son was able to locate the key fob and reset it?
Could be. I will play with mine some more.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Web Raven said:
bonk1313 said:
bonk1313 said:
There was at least a 2 minute difference between the alarm and disarming the system with the remote. My remote start (15 year old son) was surprised and wasn't sure what to do

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
jsimms said:
Web Raven said:
bonk1313 said:
bonk1313 said:
There was at least a 2 minute difference between the alarm and disarming the system with the remote. My remote start (15 year old son) was surprised and wasn't sure what to do
"Holy #%@!, I broke dad's Acadia! What do I do?" hehe I'm sure it was quite startling. I know I panic any time I accidentally hit the panic button on my key fob when I'm attempting to unlock my Acadia. My first reaction is "Yikes!" and then my second reaction is "Duh, hit the button again." :confused:

·
Super Moderator
22,585 Posts
mckcab said:
I thought the doors locked automatically after a certain amount of time. Mine does sometimes and doesn't at others. Not sure what I am doing differently.
Sometimes I, or a passenger, get out of the 'A' in the garage and accidentally touch the lock button. If you don't hear the chime and beep (way mine is programmed), you won't know that the doors have locked.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK folks; had my Acadia parked in the garage all night; doors unlocked (system was not armed as far as I know) and the hood open. I opened the garage door to take out some trash and came back in; left the garage door opened.

About 5 minutes later, the alarm started going off.............hmmmm.........went out there and tried shut off the alarm; it wouldn't go off so I jumped in and started it. I expected to see the "theft attempted" warning on the DIC, but there was no messages of any kind.

Just thought I would share :-\

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
**** GREMLINS again!!! :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts