GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
So I was finally able to solve this problem. I just thought I would post the answer in case anyone else has the same problem, as well as to let those who kindly offered me advice know what it was.

I took it the same dealership who did the alignment. (I had not mentioned this issue to them at the time. I just asked them to do an alignment when they were replacing the AC evaporator -- concurrent problems with this Acadia. I am over $3K in repairs so far this year...) They suggested I take the mechanic out with me for a test drive. He thought it was coming from the back end, which seemed reasonable to me from the handling when it did this rocking back and forth). It turns out both rear toe links needed replacing. I am happy to say this has solved the problem...

After the repair, the dealership did the alignment again, and were kind enough to not charge me for it as I had just done one a week or so earlier in a attempt to resolve this problem. (They also gave me a good price on my evaporator repair, so I think I have found a new preferred dealership.)

Thanks again to those of you who helped me with this.

Laurent
Thanks for this info! I had the exact same problem on my 2009 Acadia SLT. The dealer said it was the rear shocks. Problem still persisted, more so at highway speeds. I am showing them this article so as to make them aware of what the problem really is. Thanks again for sharing.
Herold

· Registered
5 Posts
So I was finally able to solve this problem. I just thought I would post the answer in case anyone else has the same problem, as well as to let those who kindly offered me advice know what it was.

I took it the same dealership who did the alignment. (I had not mentioned this issue to them at the time. I just asked them to do an alignment when they were replacing the AC evaporator -- concurrent problems with this Acadia. I am over $3K in repairs so far this year...) They suggested I take the mechanic out with me for a test drive. He thought it was coming from the back end, which seemed reasonable to me from the handling when it did this rocking back and forth). It turns out both rear toe links needed replacing. I am happy to say this has solved the problem...

After the repair, the dealership did the alignment again, and were kind enough to not charge me for it as I had just done one a week or so earlier in a attempt to resolve this problem. (They also gave me a good price on my evaporator repair, so I think I have found a new preferred dealership.)

Laurent
I'm having the same problem but my mechanic says that he cant find nothing wrong, after reading this I might have him change them. Fingers crossed this works, only does this swaying back and forth when I'm going 50+

· Registered
3,487 Posts
I'm having the same problem but my mechanic says that he cant find nothing wrong, after reading this I might have him change them. Fingers crossed this works, only does this swaying back and forth when I'm going 50+
Let us know it the same link issue resolved the rocking. Good to know for future readers !(y)

· Registered
5 Posts
Well when I took my Acadia in to my mechanic it of course didn't do anything wrong, now today I took my back tire off passenger side back tire to check my brake pad, got a squeak, pads look fine. Put tire back on and went for a ride and the swaying is back, taking it to my mechanic tomorrow. Is it the sway bar? Oh and it wasnt swaying until I took the back tire off. Please help!

· Registered
1 Posts

Laurent
Thanks for the heads up where to start. My 2008 only has 74000, but the issue was so bad with a cross wind and icy roads I thought I was going to loose it 4-5 times...it does force you to keep your speeds down but I've been driving 50 years...it was white knuckles all the way!
Thx!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

My Acadia has started to rock side-to-side (left/right) at highway speeds (> 60 mph / 100 kph). It is a 2009 SLT1 (18" wheels) with 65,000 mi / 105,000 kms. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

I took it to the dealership (and paid $99 for an inspection), but they found nothing. but the rocking is now getting worse. (As an unrelated aside, the dealership did, however, tell me my cabin air filter needed replacing, even though my model does not have one... Needless to say I was not pleased. But I won't be taking it to them again.)

Any advice you have is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Laurent
I have a 08 and I'm also experiencing the same thing side to side motion while driving on the interstate. Rear[: I ordered upper and lower control arms , shocks , wheel hub bearings .]: front [ wheel hub bearing , axles , struts , strut links , steering knuckles , brakes and rotors front and rear . My vehicle has a driver side axle that clicks so I'm replacing both side due to milage , shocks and struts due to milage also , steering knuckles due to can't get wheel bearing out and the cost to have a shop do it , it's cheaper to replace them with new ones , back[: replacing shocks due to milage worn out , wheel bearings due to one humming . [[ control arms lower and upper due to side to side motion Worn bushings in upper and lower control arms or lateral arms will allow the vehicle to feel like it's moving side to side . Hope this helps you out . I ordered my parts off of the internet and will install them myself then go to shop and have it aligned .

· Registered
3,487 Posts
I have a 08 and I'm also experiencing the same thing side to side motion while driving on the interstate. Rear[: I ordered upper and lower control arms , shocks , wheel hub bearings .]: front [ wheel hub bearing , axles , struts , strut links , steering knuckles , brakes and rotors front and rear . My vehicle has a driver side axle that clicks so I'm replacing both side due to milage , shocks and struts due to milage also , steering knuckles due to can't get wheel bearing out and the cost to have a shop do it , it's cheaper to replace them with new ones , back[: replacing shocks due to milage worn out , wheel bearings due to one humming . [[ control arms lower and upper due to side to side motion Worn bushings in upper and lower control arms or lateral arms will allow the vehicle to feel like it's moving side to side . Hope this helps you out . I ordered my parts off of the internet and will install them myself then go to shop and have it aligned .
Good .. . please come back and let us know if all that fixed the swaying.(y)

· Registered
1 Posts
Great thread ppl. A friend was telling me that she has out over $3,000 this month trying to fix this "rocking" issue. She mentioned front end work, and 3 sets of tires. So I asked about the drive Train and is a 4 wheel drive er what. I'm not familiar with the vehicle. So I looked up Acadia drive train, for insight. Somehow found my way here. I'm going to thank you in advance for the experience with this problem, and hopefully her resolution.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts