GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally have my new Acadia, the 07 has been returned to GM and I have a new 09 sitting in my garage. Overall the process went rather well with a few hiccups due to an incompetent Attorney and staff at the local GMC dealer which was not ready for me and had none of the paperwork ready for the exchange of vehicles.

It must be an early 09 as it still has the heated wipers... build quality seems really good, I think better then my 07, overall it just feels like a tighter vehicle, but some materials do feel cheaper.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I hope this one is better than the last. The Acadia and it's siblings have a lot going for them, and it's too bad there have been so many quality issues to spoil the ownership for some.

·
Super Moderator
22,417 Posts
big bear craig said:
... it's too bad there have been so many quality issues to spoil the ownership for some.
It seems that REAL quality issues have been few. cmg27 is just one of the unfortunates. Many of the issues here have been lack of understanding the technology or mistrust of U.S. made vehicles. I find THAT to be the most unfortunate thing of all!
:wine:

·
Registered
956 Posts
speleos said:
It seems that REAL quality issues have been few. cmg27 is just one of the unfortunates. Many of the issues here have been lack of understanding the technology or mistrust of U.S. made vehicles. I find THAT to be the most unfortunate thing of all!
Every survey I have read states that the Acadia and it's siblings have below average to average repair record. Hopefully this will improve, but at the present it's certainly nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, my issue was as much about quality of build as it is about quality of service.

I believe my problems could have been resolved, as I believe they were related to the engine mounts. The local dealer however was unwilling to look at the problem any further, instead telling me it was normal.

I am trying to stay positive as we were very happy with the Acadia when we first got it in 07. We will see how this one holds up.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I'm glad you got everything worked out :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
speleos said:
Thats kind of a strange statement actually. In my case, I had many Chrysler cars and trucks over the years, as well as Audi, Acura, Mercedes, VW, and several others. The Acadia is not exactly filled with technology that needs to be understood (I just got rid of an 06 Acura RL that had REAL technology problems). The Acadia is a rather simple car operationally, while the technology that makes it run is simply not as reliable as many other people have experienced

As far as trust of US made vehicles, not sure if thats true either. I would say in my case, this being my first GM vehicle EVER, I went in Wanting to like doing business with GM, but I ended up NOT trusting them because my car is having so many many problems and they (GMC dealers and the company in general) handles the issues terribly. GM suffers from years of not really caring about its customers (this is a deeply rooted problem up and down the dealer/retail chain of command, as well as in the service/post-sale organization).

I personally, am stunned at how painful the Acadia has been to have as a primary car. When its running well, its VERY nice to drive, but overall, its painful to own as it breaks every 6-8 weeks or so.

When people ask about it, my wife and I usually say "nice to drive, but painful to own"

·
Registered
370 Posts
nanohead said:
I personally, am stunned at how painful the Acadia has been to have as a primary car. When its running well, its VERY nice to drive, but overall, its painful to own as it breaks every 6-8 weeks or so.

When people ask about it, my wife and I usually say "nice to drive, but painful to own"
Amazing the drastic difference of opinion. Our Acadia has been anything but "painful" to own.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Irish said:
Amazing the drastic difference of opinion. Our Acadia has been anything but "painful" to own.
Here Here; Irish; I am with you on that one :thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Irish said:
It's usually this way.... :)

I've noticed over the years that most people in general will "like" their purchase, simply because they purchased it. And then there are there the other folks that just hate everything they have and complain rampantly about things.... ???

I (my wife too) try to be neutral and take things for what they are. Very few things are all good and all bad, they're usually in the middle somewhere. As I said above, we really like the Acadia quite a bit, except it has been anything but reliable.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Glad it has worked out for you. I agree with CMG27's comment differentiating the car versus dealers. Dealerships...and their service staff...have gone through 2 and will never go back to either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cmg27 said:
Well, I finally have my new Acadia, the 07 has been returned to GM and I have a new 09 sitting in my garage. Overall the process went rather well with a few hiccups due to an incompetent Attorney and staff at the local GMC dealer which was not ready for me and had none of the paperwork ready for the exchange of vehicles.

It must be an early 09 as it still has the heated wipers... build quality seems really good, I think better then my 07, overall it just feels like a tighter vehicle, but some materials do feel cheaper.
OK I’m new to this. Did you get a buyback from GM? How long did it take to do all of this returning? We are right in the middle of arguing with the dealership about our 2009. How long did the process take? Any information would be helpful. We do not know where to turn.

Moderator edit
Text converted from ALL CAPS to sentence case for readability.[/color]

·
Registered
614 Posts
Check this forum, http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4429.0

and also use the seach box using the words "lemon law" and you'll find even more info as to what you're looking for.

FWIW, once you involve the BBB (Better Business Bureau) there are deadlines to be met, and the manufacturer gets things moving.
The BBB will not offer legal advice, but they will let you know what your state rules are concerning the lemon laws. I called the BBB June 18th, and GM bought the old one (we used the money toward a 2010 model) September 1st, so it's about 9 or 10 weeks, which could have been shortened a week or so if I'd gotten some of my paperwork turned in a little earlier.

Welcome to the website, we're glad you're here.

·
Super Moderator
22,417 Posts
mrvids said:
And don't forget to add your profile information! :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
mrvids said:
Check this forum, http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4429.0

and also use the seach box using the words "lemon law" and you'll find even more info as to what you're looking for.

FWIW, once you involve the BBB (Better Business Bureau) there are deadlines to be met, and the manufacturer gets things moving.
The BBB will not offer legal advice, but they will let you know what your state rules are concerning the lemon laws. I called the BBB June 18th, and GM bought the old one (we used the money toward a 2010 model) September 1st, so it's about 9 or 10 weeks, which could have been shortened a week or so if I'd gotten some of my paperwork turned in a little earlier.

Ok. How much money do they take away from the car you are returning. Do you take a big loss doing this? thank you for the information.

·
Registered
415 Posts
albert01 said:
OK I’m new to this. Did you get a buyback from GM? How long did it take to do all of this returning? We are right in the middle of arguing with the dealership about our 2009. How long did the process take? Any information would be helpful. We do not know where to turn.
whats wrong with your Acadia any details would help

thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
We had to pay about $3500 for the 36,000 miles we put on the Acadia, plus the difference in the MSRP.
They don't make one as stripped as our original '08 Acadia so we paid about $3000 difference in the MSRP for the 2010 model but got the better engine (D.I.), backup camera, automatic rear hatch door, bluetooth, and one other option the old one didn't have.
So about $6500 difference, and we had the old one for 22 months so that would be similar to a lease at $295 a month.
Not a great deal, but at least we have something that is more dependable. Plus GM paid us in full for the extended warrenty we purchased, so we bought the same warrenty for a lesser price.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts