1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow that's awesome. But that's weird...where's the Mazda CX-9? ;D

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is great. I knew I made a good choice.

As far as the CX-9. I hated it. I went an looked at it at the Philly Auto Show. I was so unimpressed with almost everything about it. The dash was so big, and so empty. So much wasted space. And my biggest complaint was the back doors. They are so big. Extra long doors I gues so people can get into the third row. But with the doors being so big, I can see a huge proble, in a parking lot. Opening them, and not aving enough room between the car next to you to open it up to get out, or your kids flinging it open into the car next to it. Maybe it's just me. My two cents.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yep...I TOTALLY AGREE Tooth! I was definitely being tongue-in-cheek! Everyone had this huge love-in for the CX-9 and I took one look and hated it too. It felt cramped inside, and the third row seats were a joke. Considering the orgy of adoration it received, I was shocked they didn't fall victim for once here! Bravo!

·
Registered
57 Posts
That's the other thing. The driver cockpit or whatever you call it felt like my legs were in a coffin. I'm not a tall guy at all, but I felt really cramped. Especally for how deep the dash is. I never test drove it, so I don't know how it drove, but I had no desire to. It felt so cheap. My ast car was an 05 Mazda 6. I think that car felt much less cramped and ore luxury.

·
Registered
542 Posts
THE TOOTH said:
That's the other thing. The driver cockpit or whatever you call it felt like my legs were in a coffin. I'm not a tall guy at all, but I felt really cramped. Especally for how deep the dash is. I never test drove it, so I don't know how it drove, but I had no desire to. It felt so cheap. My ast car was an 05 Mazda 6. I think that car felt much less cramped and ore luxury.
Hopefully not sounding racist but thats what you get with Japanese cars. Built for 5'5" people under 150 lbs. Yet to find a good Japanese car that is sized for Americans.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Keith said:
Hopefully not sounding racist but thats what you get with Japanese cars. Built for 5'5" people under 150 lbs. Yet to find a good Japanese car that is sized for Americans.
You should check out a new Toyota Avalon. It is quite spacious on the interior. However, even though it is a "Japanese" car, I'm pretty sure it was designed in California and built in Georgetown, KY. So I'm not sure how "Japanese" it really is. Although of course the profits go back to the homeland.

I forget whether it was Car & Driver or Motortrend, but a while back (probably early last year) they did an article where they were doing a comparison of 4 particular cars. I forget what the cars were (I think one was a Ford Fusion), but the "imports" in the comparo were actually built in the US and the "domestics" were built in Mexico.

Back on topic though... I too am surprised that the "award winning" CX-9 isn't on the list.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
#1 Honda Passport - Bleh styling, plasticy interior (yes, even more so than the Acadia ::) ) no storage when the 3rd row is being used, tinny feeling

#2 Nissan Murano - No 3rd row, funky/ugly styling inside and out, even funkier CVT transmission (drove one as a rental and didn't like it)

#3-#4-#5 - Lambda Triplets should be 1-2-3

·
Registered
207 Posts
GeoHawk said:
#1 Honda Passport - Bleh styling, plasticy interior (yes, even more so than the Acadia ::) ) no storage when the 3rd row is being used, tinny feeling

#2 Nissan Murano - No 3rd row, funky/ugly styling inside and out, even funkier CVT transmission (drove one as a rental and didn't like it)

I agree. Mine neighbor just couldn't understand why I didn't want a Honda Pilot like his... :p

I would have to rearrange the order though. The enclave would be 3rd for me as I personally don't like the front end. I'm not a grandpa yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
GeoHawk said:

This is such an oddball tally system they use to rank vehicles.
They complain numerous times about the Pilot, yet give it high marks.
This made me chuckle:
Most other auto writers do not mention the design changes, but the Seattle Post-Intelligencer's reviewer says, "I didn't realize that anything was different until I read a Honda product description detailing the changes." MSN sums up, "The styling won't turn heads, but it's clean and sensible. For many, Honda's big "H" badge in the middle of the grille will be impressive enough."

My thought of a typical reviewer:"It looks like a shoebox, but the "H" brings out the lines so well. Best design ever!"

The Pilot gets pretty crappy mileage for weighing much less, being physically smaller and using cylinder deactivation.

The Lambdas cover all the required customer needs admirably.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Must be weighted total score.

Enclave finished 0.2 better than Acadia on interior.

Acadia finished 0.2 better on exterior and 0.1 better in performance.

So, I see Acadia ranking higher...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Anything published in North America is a joke, because every publication, despite what they claim, will be biased one way or the other by advertising dollars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I take such rankings such as "exterior" and "interior" with a grain of salt. The words provided help me decide my own scale. We read plenty of reviews and test drove plenty of vehicles before deciding on the Acadia.

I would bet everyone who bought one of the Lambda brothers (sisters?) would put that car first, but perhaps for different reasons. Our big reason for putting Acadia first as our choice was the ability to seat full-sized adults in the 3rd row. Having this (or not having this feature) was a deal-breaker for us. We looked at lots of different cross-overs and the Lambda was the only one with adequate room. We could have replaced our Suburban with another Suburban or Yukon/XL, but we were trying to get better gas mileage and also get a little better maneuverability when navigating the postage stamp sized parking lots and spots in Southern California.

As to which of the Lambdas was first for us -- we wanted tri-zone climate, so the Saturn was out. It may seem silly, but the cup holders in the Acadia were superior to the Buick, plus the Acadia was the only one with HUD. Any of the Lambdas would have worked for us, but we let these little things help sway us to the Acadia.

If you chose the Buick or Saturn, what was your reason -- what perk did you get in that vehicle you deemed better than the others?

·
Registered
84 Posts
hgpayne said:
As to which of the Lambdas was first for us -- we wanted tri-zone climate, so the Saturn was out. It may seem silly, but
All 3 (probably soon to be 4) lambdas have Tri-Zone climate control available.

·
Registered
46 Posts
stiffi said:
hgpayne said:
As to which of the Lambdas was first for us -- we wanted tri-zone climate, so the Saturn was out. It may seem silly, but
All 3 (probably soon to be 4) lambdas have Tri-Zone climate control available.
Not the Outlook. I've read, I've IM'ed with a Saturn Rep. See Previous Post on this topic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
stiffi said:
I have an Outlook. It has tri-zone climate control. That Saturn rep, was clueless. I can't believe they told you that.
I am fairly used to going to a car lot and knowing more about the wares available than the salesman hawking them, but you'd think an online rep specifically trained to answer these questions would know. Also they stopped to check out references before replying, so I would think they'd get it right. HOWEVER, if you have the goods with the option there's no way to argue with that! Funny thing they got it wrong because that was one of our deciding factors to go with the Acadia or Enclave instead of the Outlook.

·
Registered
84 Posts
hgpayne said:
stiffi said:
I have an Outlook. It has tri-zone climate control. That Saturn rep, was clueless. I can't believe they told you that.
Funny thing they got it wrong because that was one of our deciding factors to go with the Acadia or Enclave instead of the Outlook.
Me too! I was shopping the Acadia pretty hard. It came down to interior color options for me. As for the Climate control, It's a hard to find option. It seems you CAN'T add Tri-Zone by itself. You are FORCED to get it, however, when you add the Advanced audio package. I don't understand the logic there, but since we wanted the DVD with Advanced Audio, we got the Tri-Zone climate as an added bonus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts