GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gee, after having my '08 for less than a month (2750 miles) :'(and having a couple problems (power seat and check engine lights) I wonder what else I am in store for. Also, this forum seems to expose a lot of problems with this vehicle. I traded in a '05 Mercury Montego with 75K and NEVER had one problem. Never once took it to the dealer or mechanic. I only traded it in because I wanted something different.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had mine since April, and I love it! I know that there have been some problems, but I have 6000 miles now and everything has worked beautifully! There are going to be some issues with any new introduction, and forums like this are where these issues will be shown. Stick with it and you will love this vehicle :thumb:

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have had mine since February and I have had no problems, but with the problems that have surfaced here I have lost a lot of confidence in the car. GM just doesn't seem to be addressing them very fast or doesn't know the solutions.

·
Registered
284 Posts
People go through this time and time and time again on boards like this...

Think of it this way: They sell many THOUSANDS of every vehicle every year, and most owners just drive and are content--but people who experience problems are much more prone to go looking and posting on the net. Of course, so to do some of those people who have nothing but good things to say, balancing it out at least a little.

You want a good example, go to a Ford 500/Mercury Montego forum. Are there a lot of happy people? Yes. But is there also a problems/issues thread where people continually post small or big things they've ran into, had issues with, needed fixed, etc.? Yes, absolutely.

It's just the nature of the beast with an online car forum, particularly when you automatically assume the worst and don't think about the situation.

Very likely, you'll have as great of an experience as with your Montego, but will have to see with time and use.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I have over 11,000 miles on my Acadia and it hasn't been back to the dealer for any problems. I chalk that up to it being an SLE model though without all the fancy-pants bells and whistles that tend to breakdown on the SLT. *shrugs*

·
Registered
264 Posts
Got mine in april and 4200 miles and one a/c problem they found at oilchange and fixed before it became a problem. Very happy. :blob:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Online forums always spook buyers as they seem to reveal millions of problems. I visited the AVSForum for years and for awhile I was reading feedback trying to decide on what new plasma TV to buy. Every one seemed to have all kinds of issues. The best post I ever read said that if you are planning on buying a TV to stop reading. People would point out stuff that you would never know in a million years, but once you knew it...it bothers you. It hypersensitizes you to things and also makes you believe that everything is a design flaw...where in many cases they are simply manufacturing defects that only show up occassionally.

I can deal with an occassional trip to the dealer for issues on a new car that has some early life defects, although it is a royal pain and I hope GM's quality doesn't let me down. What I really cannot deal with is design defects, like my 2000 Windstar that was guaranteed to need a new trasmission in the 60-70k mile range.

So my moto is: Design it perfectly, build it perfectly most of the time, but correct any imperfections quickly and correctly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got 3000 miles on my SLT now, one annoying broken lumbar support that needs attention. I guess that's why every new car has a warranty, something is always bound to go wrong. Like someone said, it's all in how the problem is fixed that will determine if I buy a GM again. BTW. first American car/cuv and I think I'm hooked, love it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
foosman said:
Online forums always spook buyers as they seem to reveal millions of problems. I visited the AVSForum for years and for awhile I was reading feedback trying to decide on what new plasma TV to buy. Every one seemed to have all kinds of issues. The best post I ever read said that if you are planning on buying a TV to stop reading. People would point out stuff that you would never know in a million years, but once you knew it...it bothers you. It hypersensitizes you to things and also makes you believe that everything is a design flaw...where in many cases they are simply manufacturing defects that only show up occassionally.
Bingo :thumb:

Cars are like any product, and in the age of the internet, sometimes you really do get the opposite impression of something just by reading and thinking you know so MUCH. Every little thing gets vocalized, and people with issues are much more likely to post than the typical person enjoying a product and never going on the net.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do enjoy my Acadia. Just have a couple of problems with it but very happy. I have people all the time asking what kind of car it is and who makes and that it really looks sharp. Even had people take picture of it so they could show other people and talk about getting one

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've had my '07 SLT-2 since June 30th (over 3,500 miles already).  I have had no problems.  It's a great drive.  I'm looking forward to seeing how well AWD does in the snow.  ;D

·
Registered
251 Posts
caddycruiser said:
foosman said:
Bingo :thumb:

Cars are like any product, and in the age of the internet, sometimes you really do get the opposite impression of something just by reading and thinking you know so MUCH. Every little thing gets vocalized, and people with issues are much more likely to post than the typical person enjoying a product and never going on the net.
True, True, True.

If this were 1987 instead of 2007, you might read a Consumer Reports review first if you cared to, but that depends on what type of car buyer you are to begin with (there's typically an anti-American slant there IMHO).

A GM or "American made" loyalist on the other hand may skip that part and do what typically happened in those days. You test drive it. If you like it, you buy it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess you guys are right. I will just drive and enjoy my new car. But, in the past, I have purchased new a '88 cavalier, '94 Silverado and 97 Silverado with NO problems. I presently own a '00 Silverado with 40K miles that I paid CASH for, garaged kept and have never had issues with any of my GM vehicles. :beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my Acadia. I've owned it for about a month, no complaints. My in town mileage (now at 17.6 mpg) has come up steady since the initial tank of gas. I have only one concern right now and that is the transmission, shifting not smooth in certain situations. I wanted to make sure I had it sufficiently broken in before I took it in for a check up. Overall, I give it a thumbs up. :thumb:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Acadia1, have you seen the posts about the transmission flash available for 08 models? You may be up for a transmission tweak that could make you even more happy with your Acadia.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I would estimate the number of people that may have issues with the first year 07 Acadia is .001%. Keep the options to minimum and less will go wrong, just like any other manufacture. People on the assembly lines do more multitasking than years past and one interuption by a co-worker, they forget where they left off. Few options, fewer problems is my moto. Get the kids each a laptop for entertainment and save money when each can watch their own movie rather than have DVD installed in vehicle for $3000.00, for example. They each can enjoy their own CD music too! Look for substitutes that might be better options or just do without.

·
Registered
164 Posts
teetertotter said:
I would estimate the number of people that may have issues with the first year 07 Acadia is .001%. Keep the options to minimum and less will go wrong, just like any other manufacture. People on the assembly lines do more multitasking than years past and one interuption by a co-worker, they forget where they left off. Few options, fewer problems is my moto. Get the kids each a laptop for entertainment and save money when each can watch their own movie rather than have DVD installed in vehicle for $3000.00, for example. They each can enjoy their own CD music too! Look for substitutes that might be better options or just do without.
I believe .001% is about 1 car out of 100,000. No one makes a car that perfect.

·
Registered
269 Posts
mabco66 said:
Gee, after having my '08 for less than a month (2750 miles) :'(and having a couple problems (power seat and check engine lights) I wonder what else I am in store for. Also, this forum seems to expose a lot of problems with this vehicle. I traded in a '05 Mercury Montego with 75K and NEVER had one problem. Never once took it to the dealer or mechanic. I only traded it in because I wanted something different.
I am wondering about the power seat thing. Ours was made March 10th and I expected to see this problem by now from the other comments on the board, but it has been just fine. Perhaps it is because we have an SLT2 with memory, and the seats do all their moving while they are empty?

On the check engine light, what did GM say about that? Did OnStar tell you over the air what the issue could be? Our 2004 Grand Cherokee Ltd, had a check engine light while we were on a trip at about 6k miles which just ruined our whole experience. As it turned out the dealer and later us, became convinced it was just a bad load of gas. Since the other symptom was power loss with lots of pinging, I kept pumping Super in it the rest of the trip and within about 400 miles it was running like a top again. Is it possible you got some bad petrol?

My wife and I discussed the Acadia just this afternoon, and we both remarked how we expected an issue by now-- the closest is the "heated fluid dribble", which we resolved by just doing a regular wash first.

My wife was had a huge Honda/import bias before we bought the Jeep but has remarked a number of times on the lack of issues with Jeep, our Fords, or GMs in comparison to her previous 3 Hondas.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts