GMC Acadia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Hi PattyF,

I’m very sorry to hear that your Acadia shut off and that the check engine light came on. Although you mention already taking your vehicle in to your dealer, I would be more than happy to look into things further on my end and touch base with your dealership. Please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact info, mileage and that name of your involved dealer. Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Shane M.
GMC Customer Care

PattyF said:
I just purchased a 2012 Acadia Denali. I had it 15 hours when I came to a stop sign and it started running rough and shut off. It restarted but continued this problem at low idle and check engine light came on. It was sent to the dealer and they didn't know what was wrong but finally replaced the map sensor after having it 8 days. On the way home from picking it up it did the same thing. Dealer says he doesn't know what is wrong with it. Can anyone help me, I love this car. I'd love to hear solutions otherwise I have no choice but to take it back for another car.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
PattyF said:
I just purchased a 2012 Acadia Denali. I had it 15 hours when I came to a stop sign and it started running rough and shut off. It restarted but continued this problem at low idle and check engine light came on. It was sent to the dealer and they didn't know what was wrong but finally replaced the map sensor after having it 8 days. On the way home from picking it up it did the same thing. Dealer says he doesn't know what is wrong with it. Can anyone help me, I love this car. I'd love to hear solutions otherwise I have no choice but to take it back for another car.
15 hours of ownership, 8 days in the shop and still not fixed......dang what would it take for you not to love it?

My first question is the same as rbarrios, was it a GMC dealer that told you they didn't know what was wrong?

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
PattyF said:
Check Engine light came on.... what are the codes?

·
Registered
8 Posts
First I want to thank the forum for providing such a great resource of valuable information! I contributed to the break pedal squeak issue and this is my second to a number of issues. 2010 Acadia with 109,000 k.

I recently received the advisory regarding the throttle plate position sensor but at the time did not have the problem. After having the problem I went to my GM dealer with that and my other issues.

My dime:
- oil and filter change(was due)
- cooling system drain and flush (was due)
- drain and flush transmission (Note; I latter learned from the forum, to my great relief, that my 2010 should not have the wave plate problem. Well better safe then sorry)

GM's dime:
- check the water pump for leaking. Fluid needs filling again.
- check the power steering. I hadn't noticed any stiffness, but in hindsight there was some as the wheel was not quite returning to centre position when off centred. The issue I had was that on occasion in parking lots the steering made clunking noises and felt like an old worn out manual steering unit. I learned from the forum that the pump was under sized. Maybe it was running out of fluid and/or pressure during repeated turns?
- throttle plate notice: It happened twice before I could get to my dealer. My experience was stalling after starting. Had to restart a few times before it would keep running. Messages: Loss of stabilitrack, reduced power, check engine. Also the tachometer went to zero even though the engine was running. I could drive ok, but dared not shut it off until I got home in case things got worse. I was out of town of course when it hit. Next day and startup and everything appeared ok and even the check engine light was out.

Result: GM dealer did the water pump, power steering pump and gear set, and replaced the throttle body and plate sensor (seemed to be all one unit). GM dealer advised that there were misfire codes and the engine was full of carbon and a plug had cracked. On my dime we included new plugs and cleaned out the carbon. I got it back after 2 days since the work exceeded my service time slot (no problem). Runs well.

Notes: I had noticed some misfires, but was taking care of it with fuel injection cleaner which seemed to help. I since learned about the "Top Tier Gasoline" rating denoting fuel additives/detergents, and I will only use those fuels. And cleaner at oil changes.

Questions: I received it back with a horrible burnt smell in the cabin that lasted for days. The dealer said the 1st water pump also leaked and caused the smell. Does the water pump leak result in any burning smells? I thought it might be oil an the exhaust manifold. I now only notice the smell very slightly at stops so it may be vanishing slowing. I am watching both coolant and oil levels to be sure.

Summary: In my case, no arguments or hassles. Went from a vehicle I thought I might have to unload... to one I am again happy with. I wish it was slightly longer like the extended vans it replaced and with a larger fuel tank. Still, works well for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Power window master switch: replace or just clean the contacts?

The driver side power window switches started to act up. First the front passenger would not go down, then the rear passenger side also started. It seemed like dirty contacts since it would work on repeated tries but grew progressively worse.

I researched how to remove the door panel and switch and ran off to my GM dealer for a new one. They wanted Cdn $268!! and would have to order it. Ridiculous and I knew from posts it could be had for much less.

I found it at Rock Auto for Cdn $104, but before I ordered it I thought I would see if anything could be done with the existing switch. I had found a post where the user had replaced the switch but suggested it might be repairable.

I removed the door panel exactly as described on YouTube. I then removed the switch and took it to the work bench. I checked the toggles to make sure it was not a mechanical issue between the rocker and the small plastic motion transfer pieces. Seemed ok. I then pried the switch open by working the six snaps that hold it together. There is a circuit board with one half of the contact for each switch and a rubber cover piece that holds the other half of the contact for each switch. Each switch rocker pushes the plastic piece that pushes on the rubber and contact compressing it onto the circuit board contact.

Very tiny parts, but by looking closely I could see the contacts were blackened by the electrical current as happens to all contacts. I cleaned all the contacts with fine emery paper and applied a little WD40 as protection (probably not the best coating, but all that I had).

I plugged the switch back into the panel and connected the panel for testing before reinstalling. All switches again working with no issues. Quite a simple fix really since the parts are all snap together / apart for once instead of sealed and throwaway.

PS: Took me longer to put together this post and the pictures than it did to fix the switch!!

1 Rocker cover off the switch

2 Rubber cover off the circuit board

3 The dirty contacts are the circles at the bottom. Top ones are clean

·
Registered
12 Posts
Need Help!! So tired of all the issues I could run it into the river and walk away, if that wasn't illegal and crazy ugh. Seriously though, since we purchased our 07 Acadia we have had 2 transmissions replaced, the radio & speakers replaced, a leak in the a/c, replaced 3 headlights and that's unbelievable how anyone can create a vehicle that forces the owner to pay a mechanic just to replace a headlight bulb. WHO DOES THAT!!! FYI - Jiffy Lube does it now way less expensive. Back to the issue, the rear wiper broke and trust me you cannot find a replacement. We had to get one from a different make and model to fit, the windshield washer things are melted a little so they don't work properly now and my favorite, it makes a whining sound that starts when in motion in low speeds as if driving through a parking lot. But now, it's making that sound ALL THE TIME. At times it's louder and I turn the radio to try and drown out the sound but I can still hear it. My Husband topped off the power steering fluid and the whining wasn't as loud but still really annoying. You can't hear it from the outside of the acadia but definitely inside and it sounds like it's coming from the steering wheel or in that general area. I'm told it could be the power steering pump which is located in the back of the truck but I don't understand how we can hear the whining up front. We are moving in a few months 650 miles away and I honestly don't know if this truck will make it and with the move we can't purchase another one and the warranty is no longer active. UGH!! I'm sure I'm forgetting something else but whew isn't that enough!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whining sound

Need Help!! So tired of all the issues I could run it into the river and walk away, if that wasn't illegal and crazy ugh. Seriously though, since we purchased our 07 Acadia we have had 2 transmissions replaced, the radio & speakers replaced, a leak in the a/c, replaced 3 headlights and that's unbelievable how anyone can create a vehicle that forces the owner to pay a mechanic just to replace a headlight bulb. WHO DOES THAT!!! FYI - Jiffy Lube does it now way less expensive. Back to the issue, the rear wiper broke and trust me you cannot find a replacement. We had to get one from a different make and model to fit, the windshield washer things are melted a little so they don't work properly now and my favorite, it makes a whining sound that starts when in motion in low speeds as if driving through a parking lot. But now, it's making that sound ALL THE TIME. At times it's louder and I turn the radio to try and drown out the sound but I can still hear it. My Husband topped off the power steering fluid and the whining wasn't as loud but still really annoying. You can't hear it from the outside of the acadia but definitely inside and it sounds like it's coming from the steering wheel or in that general area. I'm told it could be the power steering pump which is located in the back of the truck but I don't understand how we can hear the whining up front. We are moving in a few months 650 miles away and I honestly don't know if this truck will make it and with the move we can't purchase another one and the warranty is no longer active. UGH!! I'm sure I'm forgetting something else but whew isn't that enough!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I certainly don't want to make light of your troubles, but a couple of comments.

1. Regarding headlights, is there a super secret tool that only mechanics have to change a headlight bulb? Or are you saying they just shouldn't charge any labor to change a headlight bulb?

2. All of the rear wiper components are readily available, so not sure where that complaint is coming from.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2007/gmc/acadia/slt-trim/3-6l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/wiper-and-washer-components-scat

3. You have an apparent bad whine coming from the vehicle, and your solution is turning up the radio so you can't hear it, and then say you're not sure if the vehicle can make a 650 mile trip. I'd suggest that turning up the radio to mask a potentially serious problem increases the chances of it not making it rather dramatically. I'm actually kind of shocked you are more concerned about a problem you think is with the steering. That is a pretty integral component in the driving experience.

4. You do realize the warranty hasn't "been active" for 7 or 5 years depending on the component.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't understand why you think that? Everything I've mentioned has already been fixed except for the whining sould that may or may not be attributed to the power steering pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I certainly don't want to make light of your troubles, but a couple of comments.

1. Regarding headlights, is there a super secret tool that only mechanics have to change a headlight bulb? Or are you saying they just shouldn't charge any labor to change a headlight bulb?

2. All of the rear wiper components are readily available, so not sure where that complaint is coming from.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2007/gmc/acadia/slt-trim/3-6l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/wiper-and-washer-components-scat

3. You have an apparent bad whine coming from the vehicle, and your solution is turning up the radio so you can't hear it, and then say you're not sure if the vehicle can make a 650 mile trip. I'd suggest that turning up the radio to mask a potentially serious problem increases the chances of it not making it rather dramatically. I'm actually kind of shocked you are more concerned about a problem you think is with the steering. That is a pretty integral component in the driving experience.

4. You do realize the warranty hasn't "been active" for 7 or 5 years depending on the component.
1. The bumper has to be dropped down or the front tire taken off to get to the bulb to replace it. This is not something I have knowledge in doing so a mechanic must do it for me.

As far as gmpartsdirect I ordered the rear wiper from them twice. Once to order the wiper and they sent the wrong blade, so after sending numerous emails since you cannot actually speak with anyone on the phone I contacted BBB. I was finally able to speak with someone at that company and make arrangements to send the wiper back. I received the new wiper which was wrong again. Again numerous emails to finally be told they don't carry it. So no, they don't have the rear blade readily available.

3. My mechanic did state the pump may have been part of a recall and to contact a GM dealer which I did and was advised no it wasn't for the year of my vehicle and it would be pricy to repair. I turned the radio up over the noise on one occasion when I was having a bad day and that sound just simply annoyed me at that particular moment. It's not something I do everyday.

4. I don't believe I said I think it's from the steering. I said the sound is coming from the area. You really don't seem to know anything about the Acadia because every issue I've pointed out is typical for the Acadia. Also, I've learned that the power steering pump is in the rear of the truck but the sound it makes travels to the front.

5. As far as my warranty goes, I purchased the extended one and it expired last year actually.

Thank you for your critism rather than actually commenting useful information. With your response there was really no reason to comment in the first place. I may not be mechanically inclined but I'm not a nitwit either.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Who told you the power steering pump is in the back?

The only thing in the back that pumps fluid- is the IN TANK fuel pump.

As far as the bulb-
If I recall- its VERY VERY similar to the Traverse...
Turn wheel inward- remove about 4 screws, pull back the wheel well liner, and stick your hands up there and undo the cover/bulbs.
If you wish to make it easier to pull back the liner- you can remove the wheel.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
yup---
takes minutes according to the videos I just saw on youtube,
Also takes minutes on my Traverse....

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
I think the whining is a squirrel trying to escape from the cage attached to the rear blower motor. :hilarious:

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
44 Participants
GMCMN
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing