GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since more members are getting their Acadias now,I thought it was time to devote a board to posting problems and solutions. Please try to keep this board on topic and keep chatter to a minimum to make it easier to identify fixes that we have found to various problems that might pop up with our Acadias.

If a thread already exists that lists your problem, please post in that thread so that we have one dedicated thread for each problem. Also, when a solution is found to definitely fix an issue, I'd like the thread starter (or a moderator) to modify the post title by adding "FIXED" at the end so we can easily identify problems that already have solutions and those that don't.

Thanks!
admin

Moderator edit September 2009
Due to the large number of sticky threads here, the several How To type of sticky threads here have been moved to their respective technical sections, i.e. roof rails= body/exterior, anything having to do with the nav or radio= AV/nav section, etc.[/color]

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys, I was thinking maybe we should attach a poll to every thread in this section titled "Are you having this issue with your Acadia?" with just "yes","no" and "N/A" options. That way, we can judge the scope of each issue - i.e. is it isolate to just one or two acadias or widespread? I'd ask that people DO NOT VOTE until you own an acadia and know for sure whether the problem affects you. If it's an issue on a component you don't have (A NAV issue which you don't own, for example) would be the only time you would choose "Not Applicable".

What do you think?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Admin,
That's a superb idea. Also, if it is a transient or recall, etc. fixed issue, like how the title has changed to "Fixed" on the interior light thread. Should be done for all in this section when the fix is in place? Also, should posters be asked to keep things separate AND avoid general chatter that is off the topic?

Is there a way to (or need to) break up the multi-page issue and problems thread to clean it up and make it easier to navigate and find questions and solutions?

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's go ahead and leave the old "issues and problems" thread in place and like it was. this can be a generic place to discuss issues in more depth and generally have an open discussion about small issues, etc. You can always link to the thread if you are discussing an issue that has its own post. Some of the lingering problems within that original thread might need to be reproduced into their own thread/poll in here, though.

In this particular board, I would ask that we keep general chatter to a minimum. In here, my requests are as follows:

1) ONE thread per problem. If you are thinking about starting a new thread in here, be sure to look through all the threads to make sure it isn't a duplicate. If you have more info to contribute to an issue, please do it in the existing thread. If none exists, then feel free to start a new thread with your problem plainly documented in the topic title.
2) From here on out, please create "NEW POLL" instead of new topic. Make the title a description of your issue, make the poll question
"Are you experiencing this problem with your Acadia?" and make three options: "Yes", "No", "N/A"
3) Please try to stay on-topic and keep general chatter to a bare minimum. Only reply if you have more information to contribute, have questions to help understand the problem more clearly, or have found a fix/solution to the issue.
4) If a definitely solution has been found to the posted issue and you are the thread starter, please go back to your original post, click on "modify" and add "FIXED" to the end of your title. Then add a small announcement at the bottom of your original post with either the fix or some direction on how to find it (i.e. "Gill solved my dome light problem with his post on page 2 of this thread!").
OPTIONAL: Assuming there isn't a real FIX for a problem, but a workaround, you can also modify the thread title by adding "WORKAROUND" to the end of it as well. The DVD Audio issue currently has a workaround, as an example.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Since this board was getting overrun with sticky threads (the ones at the top of the page), I have moved the several "How To" threads to their respective sections, i.e. the glovebox lamp is in interior/electrical, roof rails to body/exterior, etc. They are still sticky posts so the info will be easy to find when needed and the remaining info is also easier to read.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Turn signals malfunctioning

Good Evening,

I purchased a 2008 Acadia in May 2008. Everything has been working fine up until recently. In May 09, i had a hitch installed with a 4 pin wiring harness. Everything ops checked good with the turn signals and brake lights at that time. Recently the turn signals started flashing fast indicating a bulb was bad. After checking all, they appear to be fine. I did note that the ground wire installed when the wiring harness was installed had pulled out of the connector. I replaced it, but the problems continued. The lights seem to sometimes work and other times they mess up. I did find that if i turn off the automatic light control, the turn signals and brake lights work fine and as advertised. If i turn the automatic control back on, the left turn signal does not work at all and actually the right light actually flashes with the turn signal handle in the left position. The right works but still flashes fast. Neither brake lights come on with the the automatic light control engaged. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
mike51w..Welcome to the Forum... it's a lot easier to help if we know which vehicle you have. As soon as you get a chance fill in your profile so we can see the YM, and equipment.

Did you install the hitch or a dealer? What brand? I would be willing to bet you a beer the problem is "bad ground". Go back and replace the ground and make sure the area is clean and touching bare metal. A second ground up the way may help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a 2008 gmc acadia SLE. A garage that installs trailer hitches is who installed the hitch. The invoice states that it is a 07-09 Traverse hitch. As for the ground, i did replace the connector and screwed it back in. The wiring from the connector is 4 colors, (White, Brown, Green, and yellow). The brown and yellow go to the left light assembly and the green goes across to the right. During my troubleshooting, i turned off the automatic light control and everything seemed to work fine. Turned it back on and things went crazy. The real fustrating thing is that it sometimes works fine and sometimes it doesn't. Is it possible that it is not even related to the wiring for the hitch?

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
mike51w, have you also checked the ground on the trailer? Can I assume the fault only occurs when the trailer is hitched?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is faulting without the trailer hooked up. Actually don't have a trailer to test out that theory yet. I had the hitch installed anticipating getting a small utility trailer. I did test it out on a trailer right after it was installed and all worked fine.

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
Re: Turn signals malfunctioning

mike51w said:
... I did find that if i turn off the automatic light control, the turn signals and brake lights work fine and as advertised. If i turn the automatic control back on, ...
This statement suggests a possible problem in the light control switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It started acting up so i took it to the dealership today hoping that they could atleast take a quick look at what is occuring. By the time i got there, it was working fine. They told me to schedule an appointment and bring it back in. When i got home, while troubleshooting different scenarios, i came across the automatic light theory. I want to give them as much to work with as possible since i am a little concerned that since i had the hitch installed with wiring that my extended warranty won't cover the repairs. Since i am moving back to the D.C area in APril, i am also thinking about making due till then since i am currently posted to Canada with the U.S. Air Force.

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
If they check out everything and find no problem with the added wiring but possibly a failed part on the vehicle, they shouldn't deny you a repair that would be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is what it is exactly doing right now:
1. WIth automatic light control on, the left turn signal does not work when placed left.
Placed the right turn signal on and the right works but flashes fast.
When placed left, the right signal flashes fast. WEIRD
The brake light will illuminate on the right but not the left.

2. Turned off the automatic light control and both sides work fine including both brake lights. Does this help you?

·
Super Moderator
18,302 Posts
mike51w said:
This is what it is exactly doing right now:
1. WIth automatic light control on, the left turn signal does not work when placed left.
Placed the right turn signal on and the right works but flashes fast.
When placed left, the right signal flashes fast. WEIRD
The brake light will illuminate on the right but not the left.

2. Turned off the automatic light control and both sides work fine including both brake lights. Does this help you?
:rofl: not really! I'm sitting in the living room watching '24' - but it should help you when you take it in for repair. Seems like you might be on the right track - Good Luck!!

And Thank You for your service in the Air Force! :thumb:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey mike51w,
I think there was a recall on fast blinking tail lights. Check the board. I remember the post even gave the vin. numbers involved. Check the Problems, Recalls section. Geohawk had a post about it. It said 2009's and 2010's. Worth a look.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
There was a thread about fast blinking lights as centurion has said. How did they get power for the trailer lights? Did they just "T" in to the wiring? If they just put a T piece it, I would remove it back to factory and see if you still have a problem, that would eliminate any new wiring as the cause. If they cut and spliced the wires, good luck. If the problem still happens with the new trailer connector removed, then you know to go to GMC. If the problem only happens with the trailer wiring, they you have a problem with the install guy. It sounds to me like the trailer wiring got some wires messed up somehow.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
The last post is a good diagnostic step. I have not seen mentioned the body control module (BCM). As I understand these vehicles, all lighting tasks (interior & exterior) go through it. From what you have described, it sounds like it could well be a bad BCM. I would perform the test MedicRxDoc said, and if this is negative, take it to the dealer & have the BCM checked- I do not think a regular code scanner will pick up faults with these, a special tool (Tech 2) is needed.

Good luck with it, these problems are often hair-pullers!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If the BCM is now ruined because of the installer then major $$ for you or him, I doubt if the dealer finds that to be the reason they would cover it. Maybe they can update the BCM and clear all codes.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
44 Participants
GMCMN
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing