GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow owners,
Just took the Acadia to Yellowstone National Park for the weekend. We live in Boise ID that is around 2000 ft elevation and Yellowstone is 6000 to 8500 feet. It was also much colder in West Yellowstone and the park than it has been in Boise. When we got up on Friday morning to head into the park my tire pressure warning light came on and I kept getting the message to check the tire pressure in the right and left rear tires. We were well into the park when this happened so I could not add air at that time. After driving for several miles, the StabiliTrak System shut off and gave me the warning "Traction Control Off, Service Traction Control..." This message stayed on for about 10 minutes and then the system started working again. I blame the tire pressure on high altitude and cold temps (it was in the 60s in Boise when I filled the tires before leaving and it got down to 27 at night in West Yellowstone) but the stabilitrak message scared me. Especially since it was going to snow on Saturday. Has anyone else experienced anything like this at high altitudes?
Other than the warning messages, the Acadia handled great. Put 1000 miles on it and averaged 22 MPH.
I also saw at least 4 other Acadias cruising around Yellowstone this weekend. Honked and waved at every one of them and only got a response from one. What's with these people?

Check out the cool picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't have my Acadia yet so I have experienced any of that. Just wanted to say Great Picture! And, I would have waved back. :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also had the traction conrol message come on in the Colorado Mtns. (about 9000 feet) It reset it self after resarting the car and no further problems.
Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. If I was thinking I would have hit the onstar button at the time and had them run a diagnostic (probably would have told me to have it serviced). Pretty scary message to see when in the mountains.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
134 Posts
We bought our Acadia in Salt Lake City, about 4800 feet elevation. It lives in Park City, about 7000 feet, and has been driven above 8000 feet dozens of times.

We have not experienced any of the problems described here (yet!). So far, it's been a trouble-free ride.

It has not seen very cold temps, however. Overnight lows have been mid-20's, but we keep it in the (unheated) garage. I suppose it's about 40 oF in there overnight.

I'll keep an eye on things as winter progresses.

Hope the problem is diagnosed and fixed; it's no fun to have car problems in the cold weather.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I'm also in Salt Lake City. I've had my Acadia up to 10,000 feet and have not had this Stabilitrak problem. I did get a tire pressure warning on all four tires the first morning we had colder weather. I pumped them up, and have not had a problem with them since.

Kelly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.