GMC Acadia Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
slosvt said:
We just bought the car used (from a Ford dealership) and I was not aware the car was still covered under warranty. The car has 46k miles now.
your powertrain goes to 100,000. and the water pump is one of those items.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Or 5 years from the inservice date. We should be getting pretty close to early ones getting to the 5 year mark.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
Or 5 years from the inservice date. We should be getting pretty close to early ones getting to the 5 year mark.

DOH!!!- very true... 5yr or 100K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2010 Acadia and have had problems with overheating...in cool weather! About a month ago it started and the fans would run quite a while and really loud after turning off the engine. Had all fluids checked and changed. It stopped for a couple weeks and now has started again. Honestly, since it stopped I havent paid much attention to the temp gauge (yes, Im a woman). Swapped vehicles with my husband today and within 10 miinutes of driving it he said the temp gauge maxed out! Hoping I haven't really screwed up! Anyone had this issue or know of a recall? A fix?

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
has the water pump been changed?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
@wendyd, I would definitely get the vehicle into the dealership for diagnosis. If it turns out to be the water pump, under normal circumstances it would be covered under the Powertrain limited warranty.

I am happy to check recall and warranty information if you would like to send me a private message with the VIN of your Acadia.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 Acadia Overheating

My daughter just called coming home from school in my 2010 Acadia and she sd it's overheating going all the way up to 250 when she got home I checked all the fluid levels (coolant, oil) and they are fine.. haven't figured out how to check the radiator I am female and my dad taught mi on older cars when things were much easier to do.. but the fans were running and I've had it off about an hour looking up different options or answers.. now it's time to get my other kid from school and my husband isn't due home for another hour I need a quick fix or if someone knows what is wrong so I can tell him when he comes in would b greatly appreiciated!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
My daughter just called coming home from school in my 2010 Acadia and she sd it's overheating going all the way up to 250 when she got home I checked all the fluid levels (coolant, oil) and they are fine.. haven't figured out how to check the radiator I am female and my dad taught mi on older cars when things were much easier to do.. but the fans were running and I've had it off about an hour looking up different options or answers.. now it's time to get my other kid from school and my husband isn't due home for another hour I need a quick fix or if someone knows what is wrong so I can tell him when he comes in would b greatly appreiciated!! Thanks!!
My guess is that your water pump is dying. Has it been replaced yet? Best thing is to tell your daughter or whoever drives the Acadia is to stop driving in an event of an overheat.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
... haven't figured out how to check the radiator ...
That's the best place to check your coolant level. The cap is under the flat shroud in front. Remove it only after the car has cooled down. Make sure the radiator is full and fill the coolant expansion reservoir to the 'Full Cold' mark. It should be OK after that. Be sure to use the proper coolant. Factory coolant is called "Dexcool." You can save some time by purchasing the 50/50 Dexcool-water mix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 overheated

I have a 2007 that had an engine replace in 2016 due to a flood the engine that was installed was used and had 75k miles on it. And this year on the 3rd of July it overheated.. The hud said check dash i looked down it says engine overheated , engine stopping, service stabilitrak, traction on control off, change engine oil, all my lights where on MPH RPM dropping im in the far left lane I drop it to N hit my hazards and get to the shoulder by the time i got to the shoulder the engine was not running anymore i was coasting I waited almost an hour to try and start it when I did start it the sound that it made was like a fan hitting water with a stick hitting the blades and fan blade was missing... now my engine is DEAD will not start the battery is dead and now i'm fighting with insurance.

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
... now my engine is DEAD will not start the battery is dead and now i'm fighting with insurance.
What kind of guarantee did the insurance company get with the used engine? It's a shame they didn't offer to replace the flood-damaged engine with a remanufactured unit. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having similar issues with our 2014 GMC Acadia thinking it is overheating. Our temp gauge will drop to 0 and engine will shutter. I have been getting codes P0116, P0117 and P0119 all related to coolant temps. I have replaced the temp sensor 3 times, the last with an OEM Bosch sensor and have also replaced the temp sensor connector. I have had the coolant flushed and filled with new and thermostat replaced. I installed new spark plugs and coils thinking the initial shutter was a miss but it has gotten worse and check engine light stays on with the 3 codes mentioned all related to coolant temps. It has once said that engine is overheating stop car now when my wife was driving but temp read 0. I cleared the codes and she drove it on home. I was thinking that it may be the ECM or PCM but also see issues with water pump that is similar. I just double checked the fuses for ECM and PCM and they look good. I started the vehicle with the check engine light still on and turned off after 30 seconds. The fan continued to run for approximately 5 - 10 minutes as it always does now. Any suggestions on next move?

·
Super Moderator
20,120 Posts
Any suggestions on next move?
Some of the online fault code descriptions lead to a possibility the PCM is failing. Someone with a good diagnostic scan tool and knowledge of how to use it could determine of that's the case. Seems like a better option for you to find that someone than just throwing parts at the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently encountered a major issue with my acadia overheating. I am wondering if I am the only one! I have about 1500 miles on the vehicle and I was driving back from thanksgiving break. After sitting in traffic outside of New Jersey (45 degree weather) for about 20 minutes I noticed my temperature starting creeping up to 220. It normally runs near 210 degrees. After ten more minutes, the temperature was at 250 degrees, but I was sitting in traffic with no where to go. When the temp hit 260, the car went crazy.....the traction control kicked off....the service engine light came on...and the car went into a reduced power mode. I was able to pull the car off the turnpike onto a service road and tried to get On star to help me out. They were anything but helpful.....told me to take the vehicle to the nearest dealership on a Sunday (sure they will be open) while I was 400 miles away from home. After letting the car sit for about an hour...it cooled down. I checked the fluids....oil and coolant levels were fine. Anyone else have this happen. My acadia is now in the shop and I have a feeling they will not be able to find anything.

Bob

2008 FWD Acadia SLT2
I am reading this overheat situation, even though it is an old thread, my 2011 Acadia which I just installed a 34,000 mile new engine in from a 2015 Acadia runs at 210, when it was 104* outside I ran it up a local mountain. Goes from 500 ft elevation to about 2,000 ft in about 3 miles. The temp rose to over 220 in that short climb, unloaded car and only the driver on board. My other cars I work on stay right at the thermostat temp. The Acadia seems to vary frequently between 195 and 210 in normal driving in cool temps. It only climbed over 210 to 220+ when it was 104 and I worked it climbing a hill. Is this normal or do I need to go back and burp air from the cooling system? Thanks
Mark

41 - 54 of 54 Posts