GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
loach said:
Service invoice states that the pump was leaking. Yes, it was covered under warranty. Good thing that it happened this month instead of next, since my B2B warranty is up on 7/7. I think the cost was about $380 according to the warranty form they had me sign.
So you didn't notice any leaking? I'm sure that the pump would have been covered under your powertrain warranty

·
Registered
168 Posts
loach said:
Service invoice states that the pump was leaking. Yes, it was covered under warranty. [/color] Good thing that it happened this month instead of next, since my B2B warranty is up on 7/7. I think the cost was about $380 according to the warranty form they had me sign.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I was stating that the pump would also be covered under the power train warranty or the B2B warranty

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
MSRP on the pump is $191 (GM Partsdirect.com price is $99.32). Although not a planned repair, that doesn't seem like too high of a price to replace one if the need should arise.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
MSRP on the pump is $191 (GM Partsdirect.com price is $99.32). Although not a planned repair, that doesn't seem like too high of a price to replace one if the need should arise.
Labor must be the killer.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
So you didn't notice any leaking? I'm sure that the pump would have been covered under your powertrain warranty
No, had not noticed any leaking. I sort of doubt that it would have been covered under powertrain warranty, but I haven't read the fine print. Moot point for this time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bumping this one back up because the exact same thing happened to my wife and our acadia yesterday. Just one question for you though, did you ever experience a "moaning sound" almost like a power steering pump whine when your car would get hot after being driven for a while and would very with engine rpm? We've recently added that noisie to our list, and the dealer told us two weeks ago that it was another "normal" sound. Just wondering and hoping that there might be a correlation.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
tdrumm said:
Bumping this one back up because the exact same thing happened to my wife and our acadia yesterday. Just one question for you though, did you ever experience a "moaning sound" almost like a power steering pump whine when your car would get hot after being driven for a while and would very with engine rpm? We've recently added that noisie to our list, and the dealer told us two weeks ago that it was another "normal" sound. Just wondering and hoping that there might be a correlation.
moaning, overheating, and varying sound with engine RPM sounds more like a Serpentine belt that is having trouble moving freely...
I would suspect a pulley, idler pulley that is very hard to turn or seized, or a water pump who is hard to turn--- the moan may be the belt actually SLIDING (friction- getting hot and actually burning) on the seized pulley.

·
Registered
60 Posts
rbarrios said:
moaning, overheating, and varying sound with engine RPM sounds more like a Serpentine belt that is having trouble moving freely...
I would suspect a pulley, idler pulley that is very hard to turn or seized, or a water pump who is hard to turn--- the moan may be the belt actually SLIDING (friction- getting hot and actually burning) on the seized pulley.
I agree. Any water pump failure relating to the bearing or pulley would almost certainly cause it to sound different.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, our Acadia is repaired, and I'm picking it up after work. They replaced the water pump. I asked if it was siezed, and the service manager didn't know for certain. I'm going to ask to see the old pump. I'm hoping that was the issue and my moan will be gone too.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
tdrumm said:
Well, our Acadia is repaired, and I'm picking it up after work. They replaced the water pump. I asked if it was siezed, and the service manager didn't know for certain. I'm going to ask to see the old pump. I'm hoping that was the issue and my moan will be gone too.
How many miles on your 07?

·
Registered
133 Posts
mikemu said:
How many miles on your 07?
It has 34xxx on it. Well, the waterpump fixed the overheating, but the old one wasn't siezed at all and the moan remains. At least one problem got fixed.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
hmmmm. the moan remains.
I wonder if you have a bad idler pulley..
If possiblei if it moans while parked- you can spray water on the belt or pulleys and see if it quiets down. that can pin point a trouble spot.

·
Super Moderator
20,124 Posts
tdrumm said:
It has 34xxx on it. Well, the waterpump fixed the overheating, but the old one wasn't siezed at all and the moan remains. At least one problem got fixed.
How come you didn't run the vehicle with the service advisor at your side and listen to it before you left the dealership? You could have pointed it out to them. Maybe they're not quite sure about that part of your complaint.

·
Registered
133 Posts
rbarrios said:
hmmmm. the moan remains.
I wonder if you have a bad idler pulley..
If possiblei if it moans while parked- you can spray water on the belt or pulleys and see if it quiets down. that can pin point a trouble spot.
We've already had the idler pulley replaced once several years ago.

I didn't take the service manager for a ride because 1.) I've done that before and get the "this is normal" speech, 2.) I was short on time, and 3.) I'm done dealing with that particular dealer anyway, the car only went there because of it's proximity to it when it overheated.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
still making the noise?

·
Registered
3 Posts
loach said:
Old thread, but my wife experienced something very similar to the original poster yesterday. She was sitting at the school, idling with the A/C on while waiting for my son. Outside temp was warm but not hot - about 85-86 degrees. Suddenly the DIC started throwing all kinds of messages at her - Traction control off, Stabilitrak off, Engine hot turn off A/C. Oil life monitor dropped from around 60% to zero and "Change engine oil soon" message popped up. Check engine light came on and stayed on. She turned off the A/C and opened the windows. She did not look at the temp gauge because, well, she's a girl (I was just impressed that she seemed to remember all the DIC messages ;D). When she took off after my son got in, she said the car "felt weird" but could not really explain what she meant by that other than it felt like the vehicle wasn't "under control". I wonder if it was in reduced power mode due to overheating.

So when I got home last night I started it and drove it around the block. It seemed to drive normally, but after I pulled in the driveway and parked I let it idle for a couple minutes and watched the engine temperature rapidly climb up to 240 degrees. I shut it down and checked the coolant level - it was a little low - basically down to the neck of the reservoir. I ran to the store in a different car and bought some 50/50 Prestone Dexcool and filled it up to the cold fill line - didn't take much. Drove it to the dealership this morning and temperature was rising well above 210. Cooling fans certainly seemed to be running fast and the service advisor even remarked on that. Will report back on what the dealership finds.
My wife called me today stating our recently purchased 2008 did the same thing to her. My dad is a mechanic and I told him about this thread. We will replace the water pump tomorrow. Did the dealer state if anything else was replaced at the same time for your stiuation? Maybe the thermostat???

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Why not let the dealer change it under the power train warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
AA/78U said:
Why not let the dealer change it under the power train warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We just bought the car used (from a Ford dealership) and I was not aware the car was still covered under warranty. The car has 46k miles now.

·
Super Moderator
20,124 Posts
slosvt said:
We just bought the car used (from a Ford dealership) and I was not aware the car was still covered under warranty. The car has 46k miles now.
Need to do some reading about GM's powertrain coverage. ::)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts