GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or I am paranoid? the more I read these threads on here the more it looks like these trucks are money pits? I have never read so many issues on one vehicle. I'm extremely worried. I myself have already notice the very poor quality in paint and poor assemble in the outside trim on these vehicles. I had a 10 year cavalier and never had any serious issues. You think for the money these vehicles would be made more stronger?

Don't get me wrong i love my acadia but to read so many parts failing so early is distrissing? :eek:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
It all depends on who posts. Right now I believe the good posts out weigh the bad ones. Anything that has happened to my Acadia so far was self inflicted by me! I really have to stop that. I ask a peole here in town and there happy with theirs.

·
Super Moderator
22,403 Posts
My '07 has been great. It took some time to get used to the 6-speed trans but ....... :thumb:

BTW, whose picture is that in your profile paolom?

·
Registered
17 Posts
After owning a new Acadia just a little more than a month I was a bit concerned about some of the complaints (I myself drove off the lot with a slight rattle in the driver's side windshield column I'm taking in Monday to get fixed) so I just went to some competitor crossover forums and was reading about their transmission issues, minor engine parts that go bad with great frequency (belts, connectors) and cause bigger problems, expensive period checkup bills, etc... Good or bad the attendance on this forum is significantly greater than the competitors' forums which I believe is the cause of reporting of so many repair things on the Acadia. The alternative vehicles seems to have their own set of issues. I'm still loving the Acadia. I had a '95 Buick Regal GS with a rattle in the passenger column immediately after I bought it, got it fixed, and never had another thing go wrong until I traded it in with 150K miles on it. At this point I'm losing no sleep.

·
Registered
624 Posts
paolom said:
Is it me or I am paranoid? the more I read these threads on here the more it looks like these trucks are money pits? I have never read so many issues on one vehicle. I'm extremely worried. I myself have already notice the very poor quality in paint and poor assemble in the outside trim on these vehicles. I had a 10 year cavalier and never had any serious issues. You think for the money these vehicles would be made more stronger?

Don't get me wrong i love my acadia but to read so many parts failing so early is distrissing? :eek:
Ummm, no offense, but if you think a 1999-2000 Cavalier had better fit-finish and assembly than the Acadia, you must be smoking crack. The Acadia is LEAPS AND BOUNDS over GM vehicles from 10 years ago in terms of fit and finish, quality, overall it's just screwed together 1000 times better!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
So does that mean you like your Acadia???

·
Registered
111 Posts
insti08 said:
So does that mean you like your Acadia???
I can tell you that I love my '07 Acadia. Going on three years now, and I'm still thrilled with it. It still feels like a new car (truck, whatever). I've had many new vehicles, and I've never said that about any one of them.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
TJeff said:
I can tell you that I love my '07 Acadia. Going on three years now, and I'm still thrilled with it. It still feels like a new car (truck, whatever). I've had many new vehicles, and I've never said that about any one of them.
Well I'm glad you like yours so much; make sure you post when needed so the "nay sayers" can see that there are plenty of us that like our vehicles

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
easy there ;) I'm not smoking crack lol it may be screwed together better ???...but the Cavalier shifted a lot better...I like my Acadia for the room and look and SAFETY but the only thing I hate is the transmission its all over place and its a 2009. Why couldn't they get this 6 speed tranny right before releasing it?? The paint compared to the Cavalier... I hate to say it was much thicker or something, The Acadia paint seems thin that's all,.or I just got a bad vehicle I have several spots missed and have to get it fixed at the dealer.. I just hit slightly with the gas nozzel and it chipped easily and many parts of the inside of the doors are put on thin... i still do like my Acadia :thumb:

I guess this is the way of the future less paint to save money?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
teseglet said:
After owning a new Acadia just a little more than a month I was a bit concerned about some of the complaints (I myself drove off the lot with a slight rattle in the driver's side windshield column I'm taking in Monday to get fixed) so I just went to some competitor crossover forums and was reading about their transmission issues, minor engine parts that go bad with great frequency (belts, connectors) and cause bigger problems, expensive period checkup bills, etc... Good or bad the attendance on this forum is significantly greater than the competitors' forums which I believe is the cause of reporting of so many repair things on the Acadia. The alternative vehicles seems to have their own set of issues. I'm still loving the Acadia. I had a '95 Buick Regal GS with a rattle in the passenger column immediately after I bought it, got it fixed, and never had another thing go wrong until I traded it in with 150K miles on it. At this point I'm losing no sleep.
good to hear I'm glad to see some positive post here and your post makes sense..... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Have you applied any kind of wax to the vehicle since you bought it? This may help with the chipping after the dealer fixes it of course

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jsimms said:
Have you applied any kind of wax to the vehicle since you bought it? This may help with the chipping after the dealer fixes it of course
not not yet I'm to afraid I may do it the wrong way..

·
Registered
66 Posts
paolom said:
..I like my Acadia for the room and look and SAFETY but the only thing I hate is the transmission its all over place and its a 2009. Why couldn't they get this 6 speed tranny right before releasing it??
When was yours built? There is a TSB for the wonky transmission shifting for 2009's built Oct 08 and earlier. I just had mine done a few weeks ago and it is a vast improvement. I recommend getting it done if it applies to yours.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
teseglet said:
...I just went to some competitor crossover forums and was reading about their transmission issues, minor engine parts that go bad with great frequency (belts, connectors) and cause bigger problems, expensive period checkup bills, etc... Good or bad the attendance on this forum is significantly greater than the competitors' forums which I believe is the cause of reporting of so many repair things on the Acadia. The alternative vehicles seems to have their own set of issues...
I've done the same thing with the same result. There is no perfect vehicle. My 2009 Dodge comes close, but the only way it could achieve said perfection was if GM/Chrysler had merged & it got one of those mega-cool Gen 4 Chevy V8 motors! :D

Also, it is human nature (perhaps a path of less resistance) to sound off on a problem vs. posting praise on something good. It's irritating as can be to drop nearly $40K on a new vehicle and in under a year (in our case):
1) Have a navigation voice recognition that works very poorly (dealer unable to fix).
2) Have a coil pack fail @ 16K miles (dealer fixed).
3) Have the nav screen go blank & have to restart the vehicle to restore it (did not take to dealer, one time problem so far).

When I look at similar issues from members here, fortunately I see very few. The ones that affect large numbers of owners get much more attention, like the leaking sunroof of 2007-08.

I've noticed huge changes in the construction of cars, since I own two GM products of the 60's. The new vehicles are smaller (my "compact" in it's day Corvair coupe was larger than the last police vehicle I had, a "large sedan" 2003 Impala), the sheet metal is thinner, and the electrical systems far more complex (see below). I see much better technology in place in some stuff you never think about like wiring connectors. The older Chevys used unsealed Packard connectors whereas the new ones use sealed Weather Pack and then Metri-Pack connectors and smaller diameter wiring. One example of how this affects us is the Corvairs had a known issue with the tail light sockets losing contact and the lights not working- many owners replaced them with sockets from newer GM cars to fix this. Earlier this year I pulled some GM parts that were over 20 years old from cars in junkyards and the connectors are like new inside.

Despite the minor irritations posted above, I think the Acadia is the best choice we could have made for our needs at the time. Mrs. Blue loves the AC system with cooled seats (happy wife=happy life :)) and we both appreciate the improved MPG vs. her former 5.9L Durango. IMO, the quality is average for the auto industry. The durability question will be answered over time. We may well end up with three Acadias just as we have had three Durangos. :)

I suspect as the older vehicles go out of warranty and owners are hit with high dollar repairs and some attempt to fix it themselves or have another shop fix it, we'll see more posts of a negative nature. I recall reading here in the past couple of days about a horn not working after 46K miles. I think about how simple the wiring is on my 1965 Corvair (the relay is in the trunk), but also how difficult it is to get to the horns (they are behind the headlights, which are in sealed buckets, so you have to remove the headlight assembly). Apparently on the Acadia, it is a similar setup where you access the horn through the wheel well since the horns are under the headlights.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think the only way to really know if any vehicle is good, bad, or just average is to read owner surveys that have been done by independent parties. Forums like this one are not the best source of information about the overall ownership experience of the related vehicle. Don't misunderstand me, these forums are a great reservoir of information and feedback for the vehicles they represent, but I think most people that post here are looking for information of one kind or another regarding a purchase or their current ownership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used mine for a submarine the other day and it was great. I forgot the depth finder on the fishing boat so i just decided i'd drive down for a better look. The sunroof did not leak and I ran over a 15 foot pike.

One thing I have found, with both good and bad commentary, is you must take it with a grain of salt. Especially comments on the web. People are infinitely more likely to be vocal when something goes wrong especially when GM is a huge target for criticism these days.

Most of the time it goes something like this.

"My acadia window leaks, no wonder gm is broke"

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jh46 said:
When was yours built? There is a TSB for the wonky transmission shifting for 2009's built Oct 08 and earlier. I just had mine done a few weeks ago and it is a vast improvement. I recommend getting it done if it applies to yours.
Mine was built June 2009 so I guess there is no update on it. The gas milage is also not close to what is stated, hopefuly that will get better as I only have 1,000 KM on it. I hope GM comes with more updates for these trannys.

·
Registered
250 Posts
my acadia is about 15 months and i have logged 20,000 km on it. loving it, perfect vehicle for me. i've read all the negativities in this forum but like what omghi2u said, take it with a grain of salt. sometimes a spoonful. i don't lose sleep over these issues because so far mine have been great. if you are loosing sleep over it, trade it for something that you think is much better than the acadia. there was 1 member here who traded his acadia with mdx. i guess in the end, whatever makes you happy. :thumb:

·
Registered
60 Posts
paolom said:
Mine was built June 2009 so I guess there is no update on it. The gas milage is also not close to what is stated, hopefuly that will get better as I only have 1,000 KM on it. I hope GM comes with more updates for these trannys.
We have 29K miles on our 2008 SLT-2 and we load up big and drive hard and fast - if it was easy to break, we'd know by now...

I have found that gas mileage varies DRAMATICALLY by load, speed and style of driving, and have gotten anywhere from 23 to 11 (big load, big trailer, big mountains) on the hwy and I think I could get 24-25 or maybe better if I tried... but I don't try b/c it's too hard to lift that lead foot.

If your transmission doesn't shift to your taste, mention it at your service interval (or sooner) to the dealer - the flash at our first service helped a LOT with that, still not perfectly perfect (and getting our third service today so mentioned it again) but more than good enough.

Happy Motoring... cheers, bgfred.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts