GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was on another thread...I checked out the new Toyota Highlander, and it does offer a backup camera option without purchasing the navigation. GM really needs to:
1) Make the backup sensor system standard equipment, including sensors in front as well. This is a large vehicle and hard to see out back. Too many children are injured or worse yet rolled over because it's hard to see out.

2) Offer the backup camera option without the navigation system. This could be a dealer-installed option that utilizes the same wiring to hook up the camera in the back. There are after-market options, but I'd rather see something you could buy from GM and have it included in the factory warranty.

This is marketed as a family vehicle, and safety for the family (especially children) is very important. GM, get off your butt and make this happen. Then market the heck out of it. You already have an excellent SUV (CUV) for families. This would just kick it up a notch and make it even better.

In any case, I really like the Acadia, Outlook, and Enclave and am seriously considering purchasing one.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Having never tried a back up camera, maybe I shouldnt comment but I do not think that I would want one. I cant see myself not looking behind me when I back up but rather at some screen in front. I think I would find myself looking backwards anyway. I like the ultrasound system and have had no problems at all adapting to parking this larger car. Hey, if its good enough for a bat, its good enough for me.

I cannot think of what I would really change with the car. Nothing bothers me about it. Everything seems well thought out. If there was anything I would like it would be some sort of cover for the grooves in the floor for the sliding middle row. I have not had anything get stuck in there yet but it seems like an obvious problem waiting to happen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a blind spot behing the vehicle large enough for small children to be in. The backup camera allows you to check to make sure that nothing is there. Backup sensors serve the same purpose. Some people prefer visual confirmation and not just the lights from the backup sensor.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Let's see...get the trans to shift smoothly (yeah I know a fix is now avail), get rid of the static in the radio headunit, and fix the lumbar support lever on the driver's seat. That would be my short list of improvements...

Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE my Acadia, but these sort of annoyances should never hapen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A suggestion that I would make, perhaps naive but seems very doable to me, would be to offer dual modes via the transmission programming. A "sport" mode, with the immediate, crisp downshifts under all conditions, as well as not being so oriented to jumping into sixth gear for economy, would be a good thing, especially for people coming out of import vehicles, who aren't accustomed at all to an auto trans. that is anything but "firm" and decisive. The existing programming could be used for an "economy" mode. Somehow, the "L" position on the trans, only offering four gears and the option of "manumatic" upshift/downshift, doesn't seem to satisfy people, for whatever reason. I'm not upset with the trans in mine, other than noting that it does grab sixth sooner than I'd prefer, but that's the price paid for good highway economy, and I'm ok with that. Many aren't, it seems.

Another would be to use more soft-touch interior plastics, on the dash and door panels. Adds to the impression of quality. If my mom's 06 Impala has soft touch vinyl on the dash and door sills, why does this vehicle not, which costs twice as much?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm quite satisfied with the V6 engine and the tranny shifting is adequate if not impressive. My gripes (all small ones) are:

1) Mediocre rearward vision: The ultrasound works decently, though I wish the indicator lights were positioned so I could see them in the rear view mirror. I'm 63 and my head & neck don't swivel like they used to, so I rely on mirrors more and more. The sideviews could offer a better view along the huge blind by those big rear pillars and a bigger back window would improve the view there as well. I'm used to having a back-up camera in our motorhome and would use it if I had it, but it shouldn't be necessary just to back a car.

2) Glare & reflections of the dash trim, especially the one that reflects in the driver side window near the sideview mirror

3) Carpet color: The black is sharp looking but shows every spec of dirt. Even a deep gray would be better. And I would have preferred at least one alternate interior color scheme - the brick would have been a bit much with our silver exterior.

4) Dinghy towing: This car was supposed to be easily towable behind an RV but it turned out to have a severe battery discharge problem. The "fix" is to require removal of a major (50A) fuse to disable all electrical systems while towing. It's a nuisance to get at (under the hood) and results in losing radio settings, clock, etc. each time. GMC can do better than this - they should make it work as originally described in the manual or at least add a disable switch to make it easier.

But overall this is a fine vehicle and all our friends praise it highly when they ride in it. Even the friend who buys only BMWs and Mercedes raves about it and tells people to consider buying an Acadia (but he just bought the Beemer SUV for himself).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey GM,

What about offering a sport appearance package just for the Acadia? Perhaps it could include wider (read 275-width) tires on 20" rims, Bilstein shocks so it has a firmer ride but not harsh, slightly wider flares on the fenders to cover the wheels. The height could remain the same as I think it suits the vehicle fine. You might want to look at the Acura MDX and BMW X5 sport packages for some ideas.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
GMC needs to do a redesign so when you roll down a window you and others in the vehicle don't receive a DEAFENING sound to your ears that you can't stand!!! And the windows have to be rolled back up. Also, would like to have my window rolled down and NOT have to receive all kinds of incoming wind in my face, even if I roll down another window hoping that would take care of the problem at low speeds around town. This is very annoying not able to have your front windows rolled down without receiving blasts of wind at your face continually. Summer time, I like my windows rolled down, NOT with our 07 Acadia. VERY POOR DESIGN not being able to have your windows down due to deafening sound to ears at higher speeds or at low speeds around town with continual wind striking your face. This needs to be fixed!! I wonder if those window side shields, that look ugly, would take care of both problems? :blob: :blob:

·
Registered
812 Posts
mktuttle said:
A suggestion that I would make, perhaps naive but seems very doable to me, would be to offer dual modes via the transmission programming. A "sport" mode, with the immediate, crisp downshifts under all conditions, as well as not being so oriented to jumping into sixth gear for economy, would be a good thing, especially for people coming out of import vehicles, who aren't accustomed at all to an auto trans. that is anything but "firm" and decisive. The existing programming could be used for an "economy" mode. Somehow, the "L" position on the trans, only offering four gears and the option of "manumatic" upshift/downshift, doesn't seem to satisfy people, for whatever reason. I'm not upset with the trans in mine, other than noting that it does grab sixth sooner than I'd prefer, but that's the price paid for good highway economy, and I'm ok with that. Many aren't, it seems.

Another would be to use more soft-touch interior plastics, on the dash and door panels. Adds to the impression of quality. If my mom's 06 Impala has soft touch vinyl on the dash and door sills, why does this vehicle not, which costs twice as much?
make this one standard ASAP!!! :ditto:
in addition a more sporty/techno cabin and some european flair to ergonomics to make it worth the $$$ your paying for and not these cheapo hard plastic everywhere.
a more artful keyfob would also be a great addition.
AND GM PLEASE FIX ALL THESE BUGS!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
A suggestion that I would make, perhaps naive but seems very doable to me, would be to offer dual modes via the transmission programming. A "sport" mode, with the immediate, crisp downshifts under all conditions, as well as not being so oriented to jumping into sixth gear for economy, would be a good thing, especially for people coming out of import vehicles, who aren't accustomed at all to an auto trans. that is anything but "firm" and decisive. The existing programming could be used for an "economy" mode.

That's what I use my "trailering button" for. For those who purchased the trailering option, when you turn it on it allows the engine to reach higher RPMs in each gear before switching to the next. I consider it my "Sport mode". It really takes off fast when in this mode and shifts gears extremely smooth. No more gear hunting, and you can really feel the power. I've felt like others that the V6 was maybe a bit on the small side for this vehicle, but when in trailering mode, it feels perfect and removes all doubt.

I use my "sport mode" typically in four instances:
1) I'm carrying something fragile and want a very smooth and agile ride.
2) I'm carrying several passengers and don't want to give them whiplash from the gear hunting.
3) I need to smoke the 17 year old kid in the 103 hp riceburner.
4) I'm actually hauling a trailer... but that rarely ever occurs!

The decrease in MPG is negligible, if any.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I didn't order the tow package, obviously. Who can explain just how this works? Is it via programming, or is there some mechanical element (above and beyond the button, lol)

·
Registered
659 Posts
AcadiaSigma said:
That's what I use my "trailering button" for. For those who purchased the trailering option, when you turn it on it allows the engine to reach higher RPMs in each gear before switching to the next. I consider it my "Sport mode". It really takes off fast when in this mode and shifts gears extremely smooth. No more gear hunting, and you can really feel the power. I've felt like others that the V6 was maybe a bit on the small side for this vehicle, but when in trailering mode, it feels perfect and removes all doubt.

The decrease in MPG is negligible, if any.
I have been doing the same thing for some time and like the programming much better in this mode. This may end up being a better solution than whatever the factory delivers in new programming because the new standard programming will still have to meet the EPA fuel ratings that are published, so there are clear limitations to the things they can do in an update. Using the programming in the trailering mode would seem to get around that.

·
Registered
812 Posts
thats a great input Sigma!!!! :thumb:, never thought Acadia has that "trailering mode", thats a long overdue trick... i wonder what others have yet to say, coz the mid-august trans flash update is still up in the air the last time i check on the thread and its already mid september.... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would suggest a different interior color, specifically, a cashmere/tan color. Titanium is too light, Brick is a very specific taste and not very universally appealing, and Ebony is hot - an all black interior is a cave.

Drop the price point a little bit so my husband would stop being hung up on the price of an Acadia over a similarly equipped Honda Odyssey.

And FWIW, Teetertotter, that Wind Buffeting, though horrendous, is normal. There has been discussion of it here and on Enclaveforum and I have read about it all over the web. Someone over there said they recently test drove Accords and they were nearly as bad as the Lambda's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've discovered that driving with all four windows, all the way down, doesn't produce nearly the wind buffeting that just one or both front windows down does. It's really quite nice, even up to interstate speeds. Reminds me of some of the cars from my childhood, big American four door hardtops, made for driving with the windows down. Below 50 mph, there is just a light breeze in the two front seats. Pretty windy in the back seats, though.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
[And FWIW, Teetertotter, that Wind Buffeting, though horrendous, is normal. There has been discussion of it here and on Enclaveforum and I have read about it all over the web. Someone over there said they recently test drove Accords and they were nearly as bad as the Lambda's.
[/quote]

Ya, have read elsewhere too. We only take wife's Acadia on long drives/trips or to grocery store. Around town and nearby cities, always my car which you can drive 80 and there is NO hair blowing in your face or blasts of air pounding your face constantly. Truly nice to be able to have fresh air and hear the sounds of the cows, tractors, and other machinery on a nice country drive, but not in an Acadia. Wife is used to the harsh ride of mine and requires the windows be down instantly. In fact, she has 2 cushions to absorb the ride in my car. We take mine in Spring, Summer, and Fall. Winter season, her car most of the time as window thing is not an issue and ride is.

Hope you select the vehicle that is best for your family!

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
SioXie said:
thats a great input Sigma!!!! :thumb:, never thought Acadia has that "trailering mode", thats a long overdue trick... i wonder what others have yet to say, coz the mid-august trans flash update is still up in the air the last time i check on the thread and its already mid september.... :eek:hno:
That "trick" has been around for a while. Those who own and have been following threads pertaining to issues of the vehicle we own already know this work around.

·
Registered
812 Posts
That "trick" has been around for a while. Those who own and have been following threads pertaining to issues of the vehicle we own already know this work around.[/color]

i guess i just found out about that trick or is it seldom discuss?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts