GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up with the title of the post?
Since summer of 2006, when I found out that my cousin was getting married in Ann Arbor Michigan, my wife has been planning a “Driving Trip” back to the Midwest(to see the wedding) and also all the way back to the East Coast. She is a big National Parks fan and carries this little National Parks Passport which she can get stamped at every national park. Well the Acadia National Park(Maine) was part of the plan of sights to see and our furthest point east on our trip. This is pretty far as we live ~60miles from the Pacific coast here in Oregon and therefore the trip has always been referred to as the “Acadia” Trip in our family. Well just a year ago we found out about the GMC Acadias coming out and our ordered Acadia arrived this past spring. So our trip was set: Acadia (National Park) or Bust, in the Acadia!!!

Well we originally thought we were going to take my mother’s Ford Expedition pulling a trailer but after getting the Acadia it was hard to letter her go for 3weeks. She rides much better and had many more amenities in her for the trip. We did test out pulling the trailer with the Acadia and at 4300lbs it was a little too much for that long of a trip. We also looked at buying a lighter trailer, 3780lbs(pic below) but it didn’t work out. We ended up staying with family, Hotels and Camping along the way.

I took half of the third row seat out to provide more room for luggage(two bolts and really easy) but kept the small half in as I was unsure if we might need it for the wedding. We did end up using it for one of us to sleep on, I moved both car seats to the center and left side of the second row and we folded down the right side providing room to sleep as we made the long trek home. As we had tons of stuff with us I also made out of wood a covering to go over where the legs would be (over the small section of the third row)so I could stack everything up around it and nothing would fall onto my legs as I was sleeping(See Pic, the short leg goes right into the cup holder of the third row seat, it worked great!).
We had a great time, camping started to get a little cold so we started hitting Hotels more often during the trip. We stopped at many National Parks and sights along the way. We were able to See Boston( Walked Freedom Trail), NYC, and DC along the way. Only got a day at each one so we will have to go back again, it was fun.

Issues...
We don’t have the NAV in our Acadia but bought a Mio c520, portable GPS receiver, which worked well for the most part. We did use the Onstar a few times to help us out, for gas and battery issues. I will admit that we ran out of gas once, Our range was looking good for our next gas stop but then there was construction at the exit which extended us to the next stop. No problem I thought as our range was still at 35 miles and the next gas was at 20miles(I don’t recall the exact numbers but it was around 10 to 15 miles in difference), well eventually the range turned off and it just told us that you are low on gas. We were not too concerned as when we last looked down we were looking ok. Well as I was going down the off ramp we ran out of gas, not so ok in the end. I was able to walk quickly to the gas station and get us going but I will not trust again the range listed as much as I did that day. Ok that was in Minnesota, in NYC we had a MUCH larger problem, our battery went dead. Normally not a big deal with most cars but the Acadia likes to differentiate herself from other vehicles at times, for good or bad. We just got out of the Train station coming back from our trip into NYC and it was late and the kids… all of us were tired and I go to open the doors and nothing… Well, my fault again, I had left our electric cooler plugged in. OK the big problem was that we were parked in a parking structure and we had a car on either side of us, no jumper cables were long enough and how do you back up the Acadia with no power to jump it... it will not go out of gear!!! About 10 phone calls with Onstar/Roadside/local people(wife had ONstar number in her cell), 2 calls with west coast dealers as they were still open at that time, and 3 hours later I had a tow truck guy pull up outside the structure(I had to meet him outside as his truck might not fit) with a jumper box and the car was started(I hope to get one for Christmas). Still no resolution to the problem, I thought I had read about the problem here once before but I called my brother to get on the forums here to look for me and when I got back I looked too but we couldn’t seem to find any solution in the forums or else where.

Well that is all I will write for now, if you have any questions then let me know. I saw many of your Acadias on the trip and they are looking good, we are very happy with ours.
-Paul

More Acadia Trip Details…

When:
9/15/2007-10/1/2007

Where:
East Bound…
Started from Saint Helens Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan(U.P.), Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
West Bound… Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan (L. P.), Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, and Oregon.

Stats: Just over 8k miles and an average of just over 20mpg, 2 adults and 2 kids under 4 and 2 dvd systems attached to the headrests(those were priceless).

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some more pics...
First 2 are from Maine or New Hampshire.
Next is of a Trailer we were going to buy for the trip but in the end it was too much to pull(length 27ft? and weight, 3750) for this big of a trip.
and the last pic is of a mod I did to raise the arm rest on the drivers door. It is a padded mouse pad that I cut up with stick on velcro but we never take it off. Works great.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
very nice! :thumb:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing! I'd like to do something like that with my family in a couple of years once my boys might be a almost old enough to remember it.

That sounds a bit scary that you can't pull it out of park with a dead battery. I'll have to look into that one sometime in the future so I can be prepared if that ever happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts