GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine recently sent me this email:

"With our third kid on the way, we're looking for a car capable of hauling 7 or more (Three in carseats at the same time). It has to be able to tow- (I pull my tractors and windsurfing gear). Also we want something with four wheel drive and clearance to be able to drive on the beach (we go twice a year).

"We test drove the GMC Acadia and Yukon XL. The Yukon XL is the perfect truck, except it is too darn big for city life. The Acadia drove surprisingly well and has ample room, but I'm worried it will bog down in the sand."

Has anyone here used an Acadia like this? If so, how'd it do?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can't speak for the Acadia, but before, I had a Saturn VUE with a similar AWD system. I had no problems driving it on the beach. I wasn't towing anything, but after letting air out of the tires, it performed quite well.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Check out this thread, the same question was asked.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2202.0

Just remember to turn off the traction control and let air out of the tires and it should be fine as long as they are not jumping sand dunes - this does not have the clearance of the Yukon but should drive on the sand fine.

·
Registered
659 Posts
mkaresh said:
A friend of mine recently sent me this email:

Also we want something with four wheel drive and clearance to be able to drive on the beach (we go twice a year).

"We test drove the GMC Acadia and Yukon XL. The Yukon XL is the perfect truck, except it is too darn big for city life. The Acadia drove surprisingly well and has ample room, but I'm worried it will bog down in the sand."
As several have mentioned, sand comes in a variety of textures and traction levels. You mentioned that you drive on the beach twice a year already so the question is, do you need a compound gear box and lower range gears to keep from bogging down now? If you do, then the Acadia won't cut it, if not, than it will probably be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts