GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help... i currently have a yukon xl which we drive on the beach all summer. I am on the verge of buying an Acadia but I need to know whether the AWD Acadia can handle driving in the beach sand. The dealers will not give me a straight answer. Please HELP!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've heard it would be fine *if* you turn off traction control.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It is not an off road vehicle and the clearance will not be as good as the Yukon but if you have all wheel drive and traction control off and you are not jumping sand dunes you should be fine - Oh don't forget to let some air out of the tires too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I jus took my Saturn VUE AWD on the beach on North Carolina. It was fine on the hard packed stuff, but a little sketchy in big soft piles of sand. I would say, you could take the Acadia on the beach, but just don't get too brave!

I echo about the air in the tires. You're supposed to let out 15-20 psi.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had my FWD in the sand a few weeks ago. I stayed on the harder sand and avoided the soft stuff but didn't have a problem. (Actually there were several cars like Corollas and Accords out there too, so it wasn't very difficult conditions)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, stay on harder stuff, off with the traction control, and take it easy and you should be fine. Not at all an off-road vehicle, with AWD designed for bad weather mainly, but it should still be okay given the parameters other people mentioned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
willg-

I have been wondering the same thing. I live on the eastern end of Long Island and like to have the ability to go on the beach when needed. I have an explorer now that I take on the beach only a couple times a year.

I plan on getting a Tahoe or Acadia/Traverse in the coming year, and have been leaning toward the Tahoe for just this reason. The sand here is not the hardest around, and not sure if the clearance of the Acadia would be enough. So it looks like it mat be a Tahoe for me, even though an Acadia is really perfect in all other aspects for me.

It would be great to here even more or other experiences of the Acadia on the beach.

Thanks in advance.

gg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in palm coast fl/ I traded 07 tahoe for acadia in june/would like to here of other people that have awd/not 4 wheel dr/ of experiences in loose sand /we have inlet near by with several miles if beach to drive on/can go from hard packed to very loose sand 6 to 8 inches deep/ love to surf fish/

·
Registered
8 Posts
had mine out on Corolla NC in August - did well for the first mile or so until the soft and rutted areas came into play then it got a little scary... no traction control and don't stop! ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
kbianchi said:
had mine out on Corolla NC in August - did well for the first mile or so until the soft and rutted areas came into play then it got a little scary... no traction control and don't stop! ;)
What dates were you in Corolla? I saw 1 Acadia and 1 Outlook on my trip there this August. I even passed an Acadia on my trip to the actual beach one Rainy Afternoon. Maybe I saw you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts