Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any report for acadia off road test.. :drunk:

Would AWD give big difference for off road driving than the FWD?? :'(

·
Registered
752 Posts
It would make a difference on sandy soil, or going uphill on a rutted and sandy road

·
Registered
681 Posts
samudi said:
Is there any report for acadia off road test.. :drunk:

Would AWD give big difference for off road driving than the FWD?? :'(
CUV's are not really made for off roading, they are more for dealing with harsh weather conditions. The AWD will provide better traction than the FWD in these harsh conditions. The only off roading I would do in the Acadia is drive across a grassy field or a gravel road ;)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Kinda of depends where you are. In the high sierras there are a lot of logging roads and dirt roads leading to trail heads, and dirt roads around the backside of lakes (like Grant's lake), where AWD can be very helpful. But, you are right. If you treat it like a 4-wheel off road vehicle, you are going to be in a load of trouble or deep in something else.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I can tell you from experience this is not an off-road vehicle. It would be OK on a graded logging road, but nothing with rocks or difficult angles of approach or departure. It simply does not have enough clearance. It also suffers from the lack of a low range. In sand, you may need to turn of the stability control and air down your tires.

See my report here: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=789.0 I let myself be talked into driving a road near Moab, Utah that was rated "easy" to "moderate", and it was not a fun experience. :eek:hno:

While in Moab, we rented a Hummer for a morning. Now that is an off-road vehicle. :thumb: We also spent some time with friends in a raised Samurai and a raised Jeep Cherokee. Both did amazing things crawling over red rock.

Kelly

·
Registered
405 Posts
kjf said:
I can tell you from experience this is not an off-road vehicle. It would be OK on a graded logging road, but nothing with rocks or difficult angles of approach or departure. It simply does not have enough clearance. It also suffers from the lack of a low range. In sand, you may need to turn of the stability control and air down your tires.

See my report here: http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=789.0 I let myself be talked into driveing a road near Moab, Utah that was rated "easy" to "moderate", and it was not a fun experience. :eek:hno:

While in Moab, we rented a Hummer for a morning. Now that is an off-road vehicle. :thumb: We also spent some time with friends in a raised Samurai and a raised Jeep Cherokee. Both did amazing things crawling over red rock.

Kelly
i think the acadia is good for snow but not mud or deep sand. KJF is right there is a big lack of low range and also 4wd is different from AWD. 4wheel drive sends equal torque to all tires AWD is just like the acadia it splits up the torque.

HUMMERS ROCK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts