GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just trying to justify the cost of a NAV system, I dont think I will be using it that much.

I would rather save ~ $1500 on installed NAV system and get a portable NAV device such as TomTom or Garmin etc those run from $300 - $700. Or better buy $100 software load it on your laptop with GPS receiver sitting on the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree it costs alot for what you get, but we decided to get it anyway since it looks so much better having the nav integrated into the console. Also, we were sold on the integration of the nav with the heads up display --- you can't get that with a TomTom, etc.

Brian

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm with you Coopermine. I have a Garmin portable that I really like but use very infrequently. I have no doubt that I would prefer an integrated solution but just not at the cost associated with it. I can live with a less than clean look and a power cord for how often I use it. If I was going to unknown places every day, like a realtor maybe, it would be a no-brainer. I simply don't venture to unfamiliar areas that often.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Zman,

Good points. I'm wavering on the NAV - althought I really like the way it looks. And althought not a necessity, the way the stereo integrates with the touch screen is appealing too! Lots of $$ for the "cool factor". The jury is still out, and I'm like you re: how often I really need the NAV. I've been driving for years and have never had one - so it's kind of hard to justify needing it all of a sudden - and giving up some serious $$ to have it!

Smooth

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am with you all....Why buy a fixed unit and only have it in 1 car, when I can buy a portable one and have it in 4 cars!

Adam

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've gone both ways, so to speak. We had NAV in our 2003 Nissan Murano and loved it. Neither I nor my Wife have it in our current vehicles. But, I also have TomTom on my phone, so I can bring it with me in any vehicle wherever I travel, including rental cars. If you doubt that you will use it much, don't waste your money on the factory installed system. It's kind of like putting a pool in your backyard, it's money that you will realistically never see again at trade-in or resale time. Having GPS of some sort is very helpful, especially for points of interest. If you are traveling somewhere unfamiliar and the kids are hankering for some BK, finding the closest on, along with directions, only takes a few seconds.

Functionally, the systems are going be similar in terms of mapping, directions, points of interest, etc. A factory NAV system often integrates audio system controls or other mechanical tidbits into the interface, so it might be considered more visually appealing and user-friendly that the stock LED radio display. (YMMV on that one)

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Don't forget about the OnStar turn-by-turn directions, if what you really need is the occassional help getting to an unknown location. While it's no direct replacement for a full fledged NAV system, it's pretty slick given that it's included for free with these things (at least for the first year). Has anyone with HUD tried the turn by turn to see if the directions and arrows show up in the HUD like they do on the radio? Becuase of this, we passed on the integrated NAV. And all the new features on stand alone units like the Garmin Nuvi (like bluetooth!) really make those appealing...

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Adam Boca said:
I am with you all....Why buy a fixed unit and only have it in 1 car, when I can buy a portable one and have it in 4 cars!

Adam
Cleaner look and works with more stuff in the vehicle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will be clean most of the time, since handy NAV will be out only on road trips (less than 5 times a year)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was at the Chicago Auto Show on Saturday and at the Shell SEMA section, there was an Acadia with a
AtlasT CPC-1000 series radio/NAV Unit/Vista Mobile computer system. I checked out the website: http://www.azentek.com/webpages/atlas.html but it didn't have that much info ($$$). It seemed cool. Maybe when Directv and Microsoft get together on a HD PC Card, portable HD mobile theater!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think the integrated navigation system looks great in a car. However, I would much rather spend my money on other features of the car...or...GASP...keep the price of the car down a bit. My Palm Pilot has TomTom GPS software loaded on it. I have a separate GPS unit that transmits the data to the Palm Pilot via Bluetooth. Sure, it's not as cool looking. However, I was able to buy the GPS software and GPS unit on eBay for about $115 shipped. Besides the advantage of cost, there is the advantage of portability to another vehicle. And my cheap GPS unit still helps me get from Point A to Point B.

If you must have a GPS unit in your car, I would strongly recommend doing some shopping around at your local electronics store before chunking down a couple grand on one that is fully integrated.

Oh, and to help you answer your question about how much you use it. I live in a medium-size city in the midwest (a little over 1 million people). I know my way around the city and suburbs fairly well. Therefore, I only use my GPS unit a few times a month. However, when going on weekend trips, etc, I find the GPS unit extremely beneficial...especially the points of interest (POI). This helps with planning on dining options for the family.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
fenwah said:
Oh, and to help you answer your question about how much you use it.
I've found I use my gps mostly to find the houses of my teenagers' friends. "Where do you live? Where is that? What do you mean, you don't know? OK, what's the address . . ." ::)

Kelly

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
ROFL! Oh boy, I just can't WAIT for my little girl to turn into a teenager! :-\

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cons
Can only be used in one vehicle
Software updates not as frequent
Grossly overpriced in comparison to portable unit.

Pros
Looks much better
Highly integrated with the car's systems
You get the rear-view camera (in the Enclave)

We struggled with this for a while. I really wanted to get Nav in our next vehicle(s) but the prices are still higher than it should be IMO. Also, the dash of the lambdas look good even without the screen so that made it even tougher.

In the end, we went with it because it's just so much more convenient and it still looks better than having wires dangling in your $40K vehicle even if it's only once in a while.

Some may still say it's not worth it but you can say that about any option. It's just personal preference. For example, I don't really think it's worth paying anything extra at all for things like articulating headlights or heated washer fluid, etc.
Others would say these type of things are necessary to add to the luxury and status of the vehicle.

I say if you want it and can afford it then go ahead and get it. If not, then save the money. You can live without it, but then again realistically you can also live without most of the options they offer for these vehicles. It's just a matter of what you want.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Same argument for DVD vs portable DVD...Save $2000, get one at Wal*Mart for $150.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I used the Onstar Turn By Turn and it rocks...no need for the Nav system. I have a $500 Garmin I take on my snowmobile, bike, hiking, etc. Waste o' money in my opinion. :soapbox:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cravenfan said:
I used the Onstar Turn By Turn and it rocks...no need for the Nav system. I have a $500 Garmin I take on my snowmobile, bike, hiking, etc. Waste o' money in my opinion. :soapbox:
Beyond 4 wheels, engine, steering wheel and a seat, it's all toys.

I have both the portable (Magellan Roadmate), and the in-dash NAV. I was very happy with the portable unit, but did like wasting a bit of money on the in-dash NAV. Cleaner, no more on the dash mount. But it is the biggest "toy" in the Acadia. Maybe I should change my name to the "TOYMAN" :blob:

It does work well!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts