GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At noon today while driving down a county highway in northern Minnesota, a deer came bounding out of the woods on a wide-open sprint. Something musta spooked it 'cause it busted out of the woods running "flat-out of nowhere" from the woods at the side of the road. I jumped on the brakes but the deer center punched the grill - sadly killing the doe (and unborn fawn) instantly.

On impact, the driver air bag went off causing a slight punch to the upper abdomen - felt like getting hit hard with a with a soft pillow - but no big deal. The gas (white powder) from the air bag made me think the windshield was breaking - and the deer coming thru - but it was just the powder - and diminished quickly. The bag deflated rapidly also. The passenger bag did not go "off" because nobody else was in the vehicle, which saved $1000 for the insurance company.

The deer died instantly in the center of my driving lane after bouncing off the vehicle. I probably hit it at 55 mph or so. No injuries to me, but I probably would not have been injured without the airbag anyway (?). Within 30 seconds of impact the ON STAR rep was on the line with me asking if I was injured and giving needed assistance (just like on TV). Really NICE!!! She called the sheriff who was there within 10 minutes or so and they called a tow. The radiator was leaking slightly and I decided to get the tow rather than risk damaging any more of the vehicle. It likely would have driven fine - but why risk it?

The grill is gone, the right headlight assembly is shattered, the hood is bent, and the right fender is damaged, along with all of the trim along the grill area. The bumper and area under the bumper is in pretty good shape. I feel fortunate the impact was confined to the grill area and that the deer did not come thru the windshield. I did take some pictures after the accident, but not sure I want to post them.

I got hauled into the body shop and talked briefly with the owner. He gave me a quick guess on the repairs ($6000.+) and we discussed the insurance, etc. It will likely be two weeks or more before I get my unit back on the road.

I am one of the early owners of an Acadia, buying mine (site-unseen) in Dec 2006 and taking delivery in Jan of 07. I now have about 35,000 miles of driving and its been a pleasure to own. Now....I just hope they got the parts to get me back on the road again.

I was quite impressed with the On Star service and I'm glad I renewed my subscription. Nice to have them available if and when bad things happen.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh man! Glad to hear that you weren't hurt... I clipped a deer here in Northern Virginia a few years ago and it's definitely a scary event. If you're open to posting the pics, I'm sure a few of us would like to see them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am glad to hear that you came through the ordeal okay. A deer can definantly cause a lot of damage to a vehicle of any size. I live in east Texas and hope that I dont hit one but you never know. Let us know about the repairs and how much it cost. Again glad to hear that all is well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
sorry to hear that i hit a deer head on in the acadia and only bent the radiator and broke the grill, some paint chips but i would have to say the acadia beat the deer, i drove off after the cops showed up and went home, he said this must be a sturdy truck because the deer is dead and i'm still driving.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Wow, glad you're fine and the damage isn't THAT bad. Should be fixed before long, and hopefully well.

The kind of story that people who debate renewing their Onstar could hear--not that you were unconscious or unable to call, but if the car can do it itself AND give them exact GPS coordinates/location, it's more than worth the few bucks.

·
Registered
812 Posts
this story is basically one of the reason i bought this vehicle for my family.... the OnStar system just sealed the deal for me. Safety and security is always a prioprity when choosing the ideal family hauler.... :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts