GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-\

So I dropped off my Acadia this morning for the trans update, the faulty dash compartment, the bloop-bloop noise from the brakes, the "power steering" type whine from under the hood, an oil change and tire rotation.

I just found out that they have to keep it because they need to order parts for the bloop-bloop noise and the engine whine, but couldn't tell me what they ordered. What's up with that? They also had to order the new dash compartment. I guess the good thing is that they were able to duplicate my bloop-bloop and whining noises and diagnose them enough to fix them? I really thought I was going to get one of those "sorry couldn't duplicate the noise" type of responses from them.

So I get to keep the Saturn Aura another day. Maybe more? I hope not more. If I don't hear from them by 9am tomorrow, I'm supposed to call for an update.

*sigh*

·
Registered
83 Posts
Web Raven,

How does the transmission behave in the Aura service loaner? It's the same 6-speed as the Acadia.

I'd be curious to hear what the dealer does for your drivetrain whine. I'm starting to get one in mine, and have it scheduled to go in for the '08 reflash next week. I'll get that looked at then, too, along with a manual lumbar problem. Should've sprung for the upgraded seat controls, my only regret as far as how I optioned it out.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have a transmission whine in mine too, but I figured it was normal. My Grand Prix had the same whine for 154,000 miles. Please let us know what they do for the whine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
what transmission whine? She said she had power steering whine, not transmission whine. Big different between power steering whine, powertrain whine and transmission whine. What is everybody talking about here?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I don't have a transmission whine at all. It's definitely more of a "power steering" whine type noise. (I've had plenty of junkers with bad power steering pumps, so this is the only whine I can compare it to). Though turning the wheel does not make the whine more or less as it would with a power steering related problem. Normally it's when I'm sitting at a stop light that I really notice the whine the most.

As for the Aura, I love the way it handles. It has great get up and go. I haven't had occasion to drive it above 50mph yet and I probably won't while I have it. But it does drive very smoothly. Though we're talking about a much smaller vehicle with the same transmission in it, so I'm sure that's going to have an effect.

Once I pick my Acadia back up and have in writing everything they did to it, I'll make sure I post about it. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Web Raven - I'm surprised they didn't know what you were talking about when you said you had a "bloop bloop noise" and a "whine from under the hood". You must be a backyard mechanic like me too or you watch NOGGIN or PBS Kids like I'm forced to almost daily :binky:

What the heck do you mean you haven't got the Aura up past 50 mph ??? It's a rental for Christ's sake - your Aura is specifically designed (in rental mode) as a 4x4 too - you didn't know that? :angel:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Sorry about taking the jump to the transmission. The tranny in the Grand Prix I had a low level whine that sounded like an old dying power steering pump for the whole time I owned the car. The Acadia has the same sound. It's not loud, but seems to be the tranny and sound like the Grand Prix did. No matter what the whine is, let us know what was done to fix it. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The "drivetrain whine" I mentioned actually does sound like a bad power steering pump, but it doesn't get louder when you turn the wheels, it gets louder with RPM, up and down as the transmission cycles through the gears. Whether it's actually the transmission, I can't say, but the whine is there. Have you noticed whether the pitch of the sound varies with engine speed, Web Raven? It's not especially loud, or even noticeable without the windows down, but it wasn't there when the vehicle was new, and seems to be getting more pronounced over time. It needs looking at, and will be looked at, next week. I was hoping someone else had some insight, and your post made me think I might be able to walk into the service department with something more specific than trying to describe a whining noise.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That's actually GREAT that they could see/hear all the same things, and have everything ordered. It gets to be a royal pain when they simply can't duplicate what you're reporting, and clearly, can't do much about it.

So, hopefully, they'll get it all done before long, AND you'll get a more pleasant transmission shift pattern as a gift.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cegledi said:
Web Raven - I'm surprised they didn't know what you were talking about when you said you had a "bloop bloop noise" and a "whine from under the hood". You must be a backyard mechanic like me too or you watch NOGGIN or PBS Kids like I'm forced to almost daily :binky:

What the heck do you mean you haven't got the Aura up past 50 mph ??? It's a rental for Christ's sake - your Aura is specifically designed (in rental mode) as a 4x4 too - you didn't know that? :angel:
My father has been a mechanic all my life. Therefore, I've been forced to fix my own vehicles all my life. LOL He'd come out, point to this this and this and tell me what to do and then come back and check on my progress. I've changed heater cores (both Grand Ams), helped him rebuild the top half of the engine in my old Taurus, numerous brake jobs, etc., etc., etc.

I didn't know how else to describe it other than "bloop bloop" because that's honestly EXACTLY what it sounded like. Almost cartoon like. :) I'm glad they were able to duplicate it because I thought they'd think I was a nutjob.

As for the Aura, I only drive to/from the train station and the highest speed limit on said route is 45mph. I prefer no speeding tickets. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mktuttle said:
Have you noticed whether the pitch of the sound varies with engine speed, Web Raven? It's not especially loud, or even noticeable without the windows down, but it wasn't there when the vehicle was new, and seems to be getting more pronounced over time.
I noticed it most when stopped at a light. Windows up, it was still pretty loud. Loud enough to hear over the radio. I didn't notice it so much when I was actually moving. It just started making this whine noise over the last few weeks (I've had it since March 3rd and have 12,400 miles on it so far). It sounds so much like a bad power steering pump that I would turn the steering wheel from one side to the other to see if I could make it whine more, but it didn't.

If I get to pick it up tomorrow, which somehow I'm doubting the parts will come in over night, but who knows... I will be sure to post exactly what was ordered and what they did to fix it, assuming they are able to fix it on the first try.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

I called to check on my Acadia today. Apparently the "whining" sound was a bad alternator. They got the new one in today, but it arrived in damaged condition like someone played kickball with it, so they are ordering another one and expect to have it installed tomorrow.

I was also told that GM put out a bulletin on the "bloop bloop" noise emitting from my brakes. The bulletin stated that the fluid should be flushed and replaced with a fully synthetic brake fluid. This should resolve the noise.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow afternoon when I pick it up. :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Web Raven said:
Update:
I was also told that GM put out a bulletin on the "bloop bloop" noise emitting from my brakes. The bulletin stated that the fluid should be flushed and replaced with a fully synthetic brake fluid. This should resolve the noise.
I believe that it is called "Bloopless Brake Fluid™". Ask for it by name.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're a funny guy. Just wait til your Acadia starts blooping. Then we'll see who's laughing. :p

Once I have the paperwork in hand tomorrow, I'll be able to post exactly what was done and what bulletin #s were associated with the work performed.

·
Registered
730 Posts
how exactly does a bloop bloop sound? ;D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kram said:
how exactly does a bloop bloop sound? ;D

Sure. I see how you all are. Pick on the girl with the bloop-blooping Acadia. Fine. :'(

It seriously, honestly, sounded just like that. "bloop bloop" And since by this time tomorrow, MY Acadia will be fixed, I won't be able to duplicate the noise to record it for you. Because you know, I would.

Just you remember who to thank for telling you what the fix is once your Acadia begins to bloop. ::) :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
If anyone has anyone PBS sounds coming from their Acadia like "fling fling" or "dribble dribble droop" please record it so Web can keep it on file ;D
Glad it is getting fixed and that GMC is trying to take care of you. I was originally concerned that grouping GMC, Buick and Pontiac would degredate the customer service but it seems fine from some of the posts I've read. I actually geared towards the Saturn just because I would be buying the most expensive vehicle they offer so I might get treated as an important customer. You know, crazy little things. It happened with my VW dealer until that dang Toureg came out. :'(

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I had he whine at a stop. NOt when I turned the wheels. Checked the fluid and t was low. Added some fluid and it has been fine since.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I owned two Saturn Vues prior to my Acadia and I didn't find that their customer service was any better than the service I'm getting on my Acadia now. I <3 Saturn and I'm enjoying driving this Aura (it's an '08, I was mistaken), but I just didn't care for the outward appearance of the Outlook or the interior woodgrain... which is why I ended up with an Acadia instead.

Speaking of which, I want my bloop-less Acadia back already! The Aura is nice, but it's tiny. I have to step up out of it, which I'm not used to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts