GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed their Acadia leans? I just notice my wife's Acadia leans toward the passenger side. I measured from the garage floor to the wheel well, and there is a 3/8" difference in the back, and 1/4" difference in the front. I checked the air pressure in the tires, and the DIC says they are all 35 psi.

Could the suspension be settling? We just completed a Spring break trip to Florida and Back (~3000 miles), but that shouldn't have caused anything.

BTW - we averaged 20.8 mpg for the whole trip at 75 mph. We were doing closer to 22 MPG until we got stuck for 3 hours in the Cumberland gap (only 2 miles in those 3 hours). On the way home from Franklin, TN to Fort Wayne, IN, we bumped up the cruise to 78 MPH.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have never noticed a lean, but I also have not measured it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you try manually checking the tire air pressure? I haven't checked how accurate the DIC info is fromt he sensors, but it would take a pretty big difference in air pressure to make a 3/8" in height.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't checked the Tire pressure manually, yet. My accurate gauge is in my truck, and it was locked when I checked the Acadia. I will check it this weekend.

Bill

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Sorry this is off topic, but I just can't resist. I just came from the thread about naming Acadias. Perhaps this one should be called Eileen.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Freaking funny GAR. Dude, we just dubbed your car Eileen, hope your not mad! Really though, how did you notice a 3/8" difference with naked eye? You must have bionic calculation abilities. If your steering wheel is slightly turned, it will cause vehicle lean. Part of wieght distribution for cornering.

·
Registered
263 Posts
GAR said:
Sorry this is off topic, but I just can't resist. I just came from the thread about naming Acadias. Perhaps this one should be called Eileen.
Man you all are getting me in trouble.... I totally just giggled out loud (GOL) and all my coworkers turned to see what I was giggling about.... it's really hard to be all stealth like and pretend to work when you guy's make comments that need to be laughed at....GAR! Stop it!! I am trying to work!! lol

Hey, wfyehl, I do think your Acadia has been named! Sorry, it fits!! lol

TGIF...woo hooo!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All - I'll let my wife know her Acadia has a name ;D.

The way the Acadia sits in the garage, it looked like is was leaning, so I got out my tape measure to see if it was just an optical illusion or not. My garage floor isn't poured very well, so the floor drains to the corners, not the center. So with the floor draining to the passenger side, and the slight measurement difference, it is accentuated.

Bill

·
Registered
659 Posts
There is always some minor variation in the production heights and yours is probably stacked at the higher end on one side. I will try and remember to look in the shop manual this weekend and see what the allowable variation is. I noticed (because I was looking at snow cable clearances) in the wheel wells, that different Acadias sitting right next to each other on the lot had a very clear difference of clearance between the inner tire edge and bottom of the strut housing of as much as a half an inch from one vehicle's max to another's min. All with the same wheel and tires. Of course mine was the one with the least. My wife tells me I got the optional lowered sport suspension (which of course doesn't exist) and I should consider it unique...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Should have been posted April 1.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keith said:
Hmm, How heavy are you Bill? :-\
I know what you're asking (210 lbs). When I'm in the car, I get the pleasure of driving it. So it should lean to whatever side I'm on (95% of the time in the driver seat when traveling with the family). I should have my wife check the measurements when I'm in the driver's seat. It might be level then ;D.

Bill

·
Registered
542 Posts
wfyehl said:
Keith said:
Hmm, How heavy are you Bill? :-\
I know what you're asking (210 lbs). When I'm in the car, I get the pleasure of driving it. So it should lean to whatever side I'm on (95% of the time in the driver seat when traveling with the family). I should have my wife check the measurements when I'm in the driver's seat. It might be level then ;D.

Bill

Just teasin ;D

·
Registered
659 Posts
wfyehl said:
Has anyone noticed their Acadia leans? I just notice my wife's Acadia leans toward the passenger side. I measured from the garage floor to the wheel well, and there is a 3/8" difference in the back, and 1/4" difference in the front. I checked the air pressure in the tires, and the DIC says they are all 35 psi
I checked the suspension spec in the shop manual, and the specification for maximum difference from left to right is 12 mm or .47 inch. Their measurement is a bit different as it goes from a chassis point to lower ball joint, which is just a chassis height measurement that takes the wheel and tire out of the calculation, but assuming your tires are all equal, you would be within spec.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
wfyehl said:
Has anyone noticed their Acadia leans? I just notice my wife's Acadia leans toward the passenger side. I measured from the garage floor to the wheel well, and there is a 3/8" difference in the back, and 1/4" difference in the front. I checked the air pressure in the tires, and the DIC says they are all 35 psi.
Bill
Garage floor is not perfectly level to all 4 corners?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
teetertotter said:
wfyehl said:
Bill
Garage floor is not perfectly level to all 4 corners?
My Garage floor is not level to all 4 corners. Actually I have a 3 car garage, and the water flows to the corners by the garage doors. Once there is enough water, it will eventually flow around the corner and out the door, but it takes a while. Also the garage floor is slightly higher near the back (side opposite garage doors). I have never measured the difference since water seeks it own level.

Bill

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked the tire pressures with a known good gauge. The passenger side tires were 1-2 lbs less than the drivers side. Not enough to affect height. I had other issues that I needed the stealership fix (lift gate and driver seat tracks), so had them check it out. As GerryL stated above, it is within specs.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
84tank said:
Not entirely happy with your dealership, I take it. ;)
I should be fair with this dealership. They haven't done anything, yet, to distrust them. Most other dealerships that I have dealt with have been less than honest, tried to charge for work that wasn't needed, or overcharged for parts. The only thing that I have against my current dealership, is that they won't give me any break on parts prices. I can find parts cheaper online, but they won't even attempt to be competitive.

This is why I usually do all of my own auto repairs. The only thing that I haven't done yet is transmission rebuilds and A/C.

Sorry for the lengh.
Bill

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
wfyehl said:
84tank said:
Not entirely happy with your dealership, I take it. ;)
I should be fair with this dealership. They haven't done anything, yet, to distrust them. Most other dealerships that I have dealt with have been less than honest, tried to charge for work that wasn't needed, or overcharged for parts. The only thing that I have against my current dealership, is that they won't give me any break on parts prices. I can find parts cheaper online, but they won't even attempt to be competitive.

This is why I usually do all of my own auto repairs. The only thing that I haven't done yet is transmission rebuilds and A/C.

Sorry for the lengh.
Bill
My dealer typically won't give too much discount on parts, but they will let me buy the parts on-line and/or wherever I can and then they will install them for me and only charge the labor. The negative is that then I don't get the warranty through them. But for some things, this is worth the risk given the savings.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts