GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting a little discouraged with all the posts about problems with the Acadia. While most of them have not been major issues they are still a pain to deal with and time consuming. I decided to go on other forums for like vehicles and see what I could find. I checked the BMW X3 & X5, the Ford Edge, the Mazda CX9, the Acura MDX, the Land Rover, and the Honda Odyssey. They all have problems from electronic glitches, transmission replacements, transmission leaks, poor shifting, engine oil leaks, rattles, clunks in the drivetrain, rolling backwards or forward while trans is in gear, engines burning oil, starting problems, cars having to be towed back to the dealer, and on the Odyssey all of the above and many sliding door problems such as the door won't open or won't close. The one problem that the Acacia is having and I didn't see others with the same problem is water leaks. I did not dig real far into the different post to see if there were any, so I can't it never happens, but doesn't seem as common.

What this did tell me is that the Acadia is actually doing very well for a first year vehicle. Yes there are problems, but most of them so far are actually much more minor than some of the others.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You are right. As much as we love our G, it has a terrible brake squeal which our dealer told us they couldn't fix and today our electrical went out and we can't use our key fobs. I'm sure no one here (and there are a lor of G owners) has had this problem, but if we were to combine our problems it would look bad. I am very pleased with the Acadia and the minor problems wait until oil changes and are fixed to our satisfaction.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I totally agree. I have a GM with over 141,000 miles, and the engine/transmission have been very reliable except for some smaller electrical issues that I had to fix properly because the dealer was clueless. The engine and transmission still run like new, and I do drive like I stole it sometimes. I too have checked other forums only to discover these other cars have problems as well.

So the superior Toyota/Honda/Nissan reliability is a myth in my opinion. All cars now are fairly reliable, and I think magazines such as Consumer's Reports do not provide accurate enough information. For example, Consumer's Reports highly recommends the Honda Pilot/Odyssey/Accord/Acura MDX, although these cars have had some serious transmission problems. How can you recommend a car that has had these serious issues that in some cases are costing owners thousands to fix out of warranty? What about their use of a timing bet that can cost $800-$900 to replace?

Where Toyota/Honda/Nissan have excelled, though, is in recognizing the problems and fixing them quickly to not ruin their reputation. Sure, it costs them in the short run, but in the long run they gain customer loyalty, and that counts in this business. American manufacturers must be the same way. All cars have problems, but if the manufacturers are committed to fixing them to provide the best customer experience, it will definitely benefit them in the long run.

In summary, I think the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave offer the best combination of SUV looks with minivan practicality and superior safety. If GM is committed to superior customer satisfaction, I don't see how they can lose.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Ford Edge, as well as the Lincoln variant of the same vehicle, and quite possibly the Mazda CX-9, have the very same transmission as the Lamdas. It was developed jointly by GM and Ford.

·
Registered
284 Posts
mktuttle said:
The Ford Edge, as well as the Lincoln variant of the same vehicle, and quite possibly the Mazda CX-9, have the very same transmission as the Lamdas. It was developed jointly by GM and Ford.
The Ford Edge, Taurus/Sable, Taurus X, and Fusion/Milan all use the 6-speed co-developed with GM, and in GM, it's the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave, Equinox/Torrent/Vue, and Aura/new Malibu that use it.

The Mazda CX-9, despite sharing platform bits with the Edge, uses a unique Aisin 6-speed.

That all said, it is good to point out that EVERYONE has issues. I keep a running list on this too, and the Lambdas in particular seem to be doing EXTREMELY well as far as a lack of bugs, especially build quality ones. Anymore, it's typical to get an "almighty" Toyota with misaligned panels, loose interior parts, and rattles...Hondas with weird drivetrain sounds and interior rattles, plus malfunctioning parts...and others. Not to make a blanket statement, but really honestly, most newer GM vehicles are really at the top of the game in regard to a lack of issues, they just sometimes still run into the occasional reprogramming, etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Of the heavy CUV models, I wonder who seems to have "nailed" the programming best? I realize there are variables such as horsepower and torque, but who offers the smoothest, best behaving 6 speed transmission, out of the array of GM and Ford vehicles in which it is available? Anyone looked at it this way, in order to have formed an opinion?

·
Registered
812 Posts
caddycruiser said:
The Mazda CX-9, despite sharing platform bits with the Edge, uses a unique Aisin 6-speed.
thats Mazda way of saying zoom-zoom.....

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mktuttle said:
Of the heavy CUV models, I wonder who seems to have "nailed" the programming best? I realize there are variables such as horsepower and torque, but who offers the smoothest, best behaving 6 speed transmission, out of the array of GM and Ford vehicles in which it is available? Anyone looked at it this way, in order to have formed an opinion?
I think some have done a better job than others, but in reading other forums there are many owner unhappy their cars shifting. I think it probably has a lot to due with trying to squeeze every mpg out of the vehice from the EPA certification. That can result in millions of dollars of increased sales.

·
Registered
284 Posts
mktuttle said:
Well, at least according to a few reviews some months back, some seemed to state that of the shared GM/Ford 6-speed, it was Ford who they felt tuned it more successfully in the Edge, new Taurus, etc. Still could use an improvement here or there, but at least compared to the early Lambda tunes that had the most lag and such, the general consensus was that Ford did it a smidge better.

Having driven an early Acadia that I thought was fine, then an Outlook which seemed all over the place as far as shifts in the summer, then both an Outlook and Enclave last week...the latest iterations are pretty much spot on, and seem to do just what is expected. As someone finally brought up, either here or on another board recently, when GM first came out with their line of 4-speeds, people did nothing but complain about the driveability and issues...yet with time, they came to be known as some of the best around. It's a similar situation with the 6-speeds. They essentially went from still using the old 4-speeds and jumped directly into using the new 6-speeds, and at this point, still have a lot of time and different vehicle applications to get fully adapted to knowing the right tuning as second nature. At least they did respond a few times so far with continual updates, even just in the first year, based on feedback.

That all said, the level of real "problems" with the Lambdas or any new GM vehicle is very limited, and you still don't see a rash of build quality or other bugs being overly widespread, as some "other" brands are still experiencing--even when their reputation and image suggests otherwise.

·
Registered
389 Posts
BBC, you are sending me mixed messages. :eek:hno: !!!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mama2girls said:
Sorry for the confusion. I would still wait as long as possible if the Acadia is still in the running. I think the biggest concern at the moment is the water leak(s). The trans programming issue I think is being resolved. If GM can fix the water leak I think the Acadia will be back on track.

The other makes (no matter which one) are experiencing many of the same problems as GM so I'm not sure there is a huge advantage there. The Honda sliding door seems to be a continuing issue, and I'm not sure if Honda has solved their transmission problems.

If I had to make a decision today, I would probably go with the Honda. If that decision could be postponed until a little later I'm not sure, but you would have a better idea of how the qualtiy is progressing on the Acadia. As we move closer to the holidays, you will find sales might start to soften and better deals could be made.

All well with you?

·
Registered
389 Posts
All is well with me!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My CUV Acadia is perfect and waiting for new tranny upgrade and has super mpg plus overall performance is FANTASTIC! After seeing the Red Jewel, wish we had, mama.

After 1-1/2 years, the passenger auto door lock on my pony does not operate. Getting it fixed, no, as out of warranty with 49,000 miles. The exhaust rattle disappeared which I thought was coming from center of dashboard. Faulty mfg switch in the door and happens. Any mfg model car can have issues and still LOVE my pony.

·
Registered
812 Posts
big bear craig said:
Mama2girls said:
Sorry for the confusion. I would still wait as long as possible if the Acadia is still in the running. I think the biggest concern at the moment is the water leak(s). The trans programming issue I think is being resolved. If GM can fix the water leak I think the Acadia will be back on track.
:ditto:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts