GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI - 08 Acadia

A dealer advised me today by phone that GM is ramping up production, increasing dealer allocations and expects to see some new incentives out just after Labor Day to move these additional units.

He advised if I get an order in now, there would likely be an offer to take advantage of at delivery.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I didn't receive any information like that from my dealer. However, I was predicting something like this would happen once the 3rd shift begins. You probably won't see the trickle down effect until late September though. My dealer isn't predicting mine to be in for 3-4 months...and that is typically a slow sales period for car dealerships. If I get the incentives...great...however, I'm thrilled with the price I received...$5k off MSRP + $4k+ on GM and Citibank card earnings...almost $10k off sticker without putting a penny of my own money down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
dmann33 said:
FYI - 08 Acadia

A dealer advised me today by phone that GM is ramping up production, increasing dealer allocations and expects to see some new incentives out just after Labor Day to move these additional units.

He advised if I get an order in now, there would likely be an offer to take advantage of at delivery.
Dealers don't know what incentives will be offered or for what vehicles but something should be available around that time. I'm sure they will be available for the '07 closeout if any are even left but for the '08s that most dealers are in short supply of currently, I highly doubt it would be anything worth while or may exclude the Acadia. Sounds like your dealer just wants a sale and are off the hook if GM doesn't offer any special deals when yours arrives.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reverse said:
Dealers don't know what incentives will be offered or for what vehicles but something should be available around that time. I'm sure they will be available for the '07 closeout if any are even left but for the '08s that most dealers are in short supply of currently, I highly doubt it would be anything worth while or may exclude the Acadia. Sounds like your dealer just wants a sale and are off the hook if GM doesn't offer any special deals when yours arrives.
Actually, I too will be buying at $4500-$5000 below MSRP, so I'm not sure how desparate he is to sell to me.

The '07 closeout is already here ($1000 conquest cash). A dealer I just visited had 7 Acadias, so they aren't in too short supply. The increased allocations has been confirmed, so Acadia inventories are going to rise. Eitherway, he is indeed off the hook if nothing comes along.

·
Registered
659 Posts
dmann33 said:
FYI - 08 Acadia

Gotta love that word "likely", coming from a car dealer no less.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our Acadia came in yesterday - earlier than expected. Drove it home last night and took it back this morning for it to be cleaned up with goal to sign sometime later next week - once Labor Day incentives are announced - can refer to thread I started "Build date...8/20".

While I was there today, dealer got out the incentives/rebate book and there it was - $500 off 08 Acadia :thumb: - we have two GMCs so it's not a conquest rebate - that was on a different page. I was reading it upside down and was shocked to see it, but I THINK it said good for 08/24/07 to 09/01/07 or possibly 09/04. They added it on my invoice so I can get the info to financing company - so we may be signing the papers earlier than expected too. I forgot to ask if they had dropped the financing rate since I didn't see it, but I will ask next week.

Has anyone else seen that incentive this weekend while shopping around?

·
Registered
812 Posts
look like a sign of better things to come in terms of incentives... wud praise GM if they offer it sooner as expected.... :thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Incentive aren't always a good thing. Do I want the best deal I can get for my Lambda...Yes! However, as someone that has bought nothing but Honda and Toyota vehicles in the past, I can tell you they hold their value a lot longer because of many factors. One would be fewer incentives in the beginning. If GM has to give you "incentives" to buy their cars, what do you think you will have to do to get rid of it in the future. Total cost of ownership = buy + cost to maintain + cost to get rid of (unless you keep it until it dies). I wish they would just price the Lambdas correctly right out of the gates. Remember residual value is determined as % of msrp. Therefore, incentives off msrp hurt resale value. Not to say rebates aren't given by Honda and Toyota but I bet if either of the two came out with any of the Lambdas or all three, there would be very little expectation that they would offer a rebate. IMO. I'm still waiting (since 7/11/07) for my Enclave. It's such a nice vehicle...I don't really mind. Came very close to buying an Acadia though. I wish you all the best with your Lambda.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not saying Honda and Toyota never offer incentives (because they do). I'm saying the expectation isn't there when they introduce a new vehicle to the market. If they do, it is a surprise to most. If GM doesn't, it is a surprise by most. I just think the lambdas were nice enough that GM should have just priced it right and let 'em roll. However, they have shaped the buying public to expect it, which hurts resale value. One fact you can't ignore is the less than average resale value of the big American three...rebates, rebates and more rebates. I'm no car history wizard but I can't remember the last time Honda had 0% for 60 months and/or $3000-4000 rebates. Again, with my limited memory I can think of several GM, Chrysler and Ford vehicles that have thousands off. What effect do you think a $2000 rebate has on the value of someone's 2006 GMC Yukon? I had to let my 2006 Nissan Armada go for about $2000 less than I really wanted because the 2008 models have a $2500 rebate and the 2007 models have a $4000 rebate. Good for someone buying a 2008 model until they try to sell it in 2011 and the new 2012 models have a $2500 rebate out the gate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smokeyy said:
Good for someone buying a 2008 model until they try to sell it in 2011 and the new 2012 models have a $2500 rebate out the gate.
I have to disagree, ITS GREAT for someone buying a new model regardless if they try to sell it in 3-4 years. The resale price will not be $4000 less just becasue they got a rebate 3-4 years before. And even if they did, the interest/time value of the money still makes it a better deal, period. How many 06's were sold without the $4000 rebate? A ton as most cars are not sold on huge incentives. You also don't see re-sale values take an instant nose dive or sharp increase just becasue incentives come and go. Incentives move inventory, clear out old model years, attract customers to at least consider the car, and take sales away from your competition. All of these factors have costs. Its not just $ and cents. As a buyer, you take the money and run. Are you implying that you would prefer that no incentives become available when you take delivery of your Enclave? I think not.

When was the last time you bought (or even found) something that was not on sale at the mall? Its just the American way. Human nature even.

·
Registered
32 Posts
you missed my point dman33. Instead of having a sticker of $40,000 and having a $4000 rebate out the gate, I would rather you price it at $36,000 with no rebate. It's still $36,000 at the end of the day but with the first rebate you've just lost an additional 10% in depriciation before you even drive it off the lot. Items on "sale" create a certain image about them and it contributes to a lower than average resale value. You shouldn't have to discount your NEW products. Look at vehicles that have higher than average resale values...they weren't saddled with a bunch of discounts along their life cycle. They sold at a certain price because of the VEHICLE. I think the Lambdas are good enough vehicles to do it without "conquest" rebates. Honda and Toyota don't give "rebates" to get you out of GM cars so why should GM have to do it to get you out of anything else. If you are going to sell the above vehicle for $36K then price it at $36K. Don't price it at $40K and turn around and slap a $4K discount on it. Because when your vehicles are constantly behind Honda and Toy. regarding resale value, it gives your brand a certain image. And brand image is VERY important. Please don't read into my example as me saying there is a $4k rebate on any or all Lambdas. I used even numbers to make the math easier to follow.

·
Registered
812 Posts
both of you guys have a point, but brand image do plays a lot in a car resale value as well as the actual selling price, but also take in consideration reliability and quality issues wherein foreign automakers have the upper hand (sold my 02 Civic EX with 23474 miles and found out its worth was a brand new chevy cavalier :beer:), as well as the market demand for the vehicle (also insurance cost and economic factors) these are the major factors that play a vital role in a car's depreciation, but having incentives for a new car i guess wont hurt a bit.... its a good thing for future buyers though :thumb:...... i remember when any new Ford,GMC,Dodge SUVs are coming off the lot with almost half their value during the height of the gas price increases but yet SUV from Toyota,Honda,Nissan are still retaining their resale value at a higher rate even to this day....
any used car lot could prove that!!!.;D

·
Registered
275 Posts
The market is slowly realizing that everybody is making decent vehicles these days. Look at the offerings from Kia compared to a few years ago - the new Santa Fe is beating out the Lexus RX is comparisons! Who woulda thought!

I agree - rebates are bad for long-term business. They make a new car look like a fantastic deal to a new buyer, but hurt the resale values and image of the brand overall. The Cavalier and Sunfire were pretty much zero profit cars for GM because they did whatever they could to get first-time buyers into them with low finance rates and lots of incentives. And, now look at the resale values.

·
Registered
28 Posts
..but I see very few, and mostly none... GMC Acadia's at the dealers.
My brother after driving mine liked it very much and started to shop with his wife to buy one in North Carolina. He did not find a single one at the dealer to show it to his wife. He went to Toyota, there he saw around 50 or so new 08 Highlander's lined up.
He is frustrated now of not finding Acadia's at the dealer or on the roads to show it to his wife and he is now all set to buy and Highlander which is improved a lot from 07.

Any reason why we see very few Acadia's lined up at the dealers, just compare it any new car/suv line up at the dealers?

·
Registered
32 Posts
These vehicles being in high demand is part of my point...don't put rebates on them. They can sell on the merit of the vehicles. 3-4 years from now when resale values are posted current rebates will hurt those numbers as resale is a % of msrp. Believe me, GM must have done a very nice job on these vehicles (intial quality and appearance) to get me into a GM product. Now when it comes to inventory...I live on the North side of Columbus, Ohio near Dublin/Powell area where the Memorial golf tournament is played and I drove thru the lot last night and counted 10 Acadias and 1 Enclave sitting on the lot. If you know of someone wanting an Acadia tell them to come to the Dublin, Ohio. One reason could be the dealer. My company car is a Pont. Grand Prix and I have a good history with that dealer regarding their maint. dept. However, they remind my that arrogant person that finally got a little money and/popularity and became a jerk. They were much more humble until they knew they had two hot vehicles in the Acadia and Enclave. As supply catches up to demand I think they will notice the damage they've done to their dealership.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So do we know if this $500 is true or not? We have one person claiming it. I can't find any documentation on it on either edmunds.com or gmc.com. I have a feeling that this person's salesman was misinformed and that the $500 was from the conquest.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
fenwah said:
So do we know if this $500 is true or not? We have one person claiming it. I can't find any documentation on it on either edmunds.com or gmc.com. I have a feeling that this person's salesman was misinformed and that the $500 was from the conquest.
I think you're right. Autodollars.com isn't showing anything other than the Conquest either.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Schounaro said:
I found this website about incentives. It doesn't define each incentive, but lists them. I will be calling my dealer to see if I qualify for more than the Conquest $$.
http://autos.aol.com/gmc-acadia-2008:9232-pricing
Huh...I'll be ******...

Affinity Offers
Bonus Cash GM 2008 Customer Appreciation Certificate (07-14) - National $500 cash back

That would be great if you call to get a better explanation of these different offers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts