GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my darling Acadia off at the dealership again this morning. I thought I only had about 14K on it, but as it turns out, it's actually just over 15K (dang that trip to Minnesota last week!)

I'm having several things looked at:

1. The whining noise that emits from under the hood. Sounds mostly like a power steering whine, as if the pump is going out. They previously thought they fixed this by replacing the alternator. :eek:hno: While my battery is now getting a helluva charge, the whine is still present and sounding worse every week.

2. My Acadia has developed a strange vibration over the last few weeks right around 45mph, mostly when just feathering the gas to maintain speed at 45mph. It vibrates in the gas pedal, the steering wheel and the shifter. You can even feel it under the vehicle from the 2nd row seats. It goes away when you shift the vehicle into neutral. Sometimes it's so faint that you wouldn't know it was there unless you knew what to pay attention for.

3. The lumbar adjuster is broken. Not sure how that happened, I rarely use it. I discovered it was broken coming back from MN last Thursday.

4. I'm having them look into the drivers seat issue since it jolted forward on me once when I had occasion to brake hard. Might as well have them take a look at it. I don't hold much hope on them doing much to fix it.

They took down all of the information and my detailed complaints this morning. Hopefully I was detailed enough to help them diagnose what's wrong and get it fixed. I'm glad that they don't treat me like a dumb female at this dealership. I'd have to run them down with my Acadia if they did. ;D

<sarcasm>After dropping off the Acadia, they turned me over to Enterprise who gave me a lovely red Chevy Cobalt as a rental .</sarcasm> What a piece of junk. No offense to those who actually choose to spend their hard-earned money buying this type of car. But the one they gave me is obviously a base model with no options whatsoever. I guess I'm lucky it has four wheels and an engine. It's sitting in my driveway right now looking like a sorry excuse for a vehicle. I made sure I pointed out to the Enterprise guy all the chips and dings on it prior to taking possession. I don't want to be accused of abusing this POS.

Hopefully they won't have my Acadia for three days like they did last time. I already miss it. :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
It's a funny thing going from the Acadia into a small car. I have used a Pontiac Vibe for commuting for the past 3+ years and also had a Montana as the family car. I was fine with the Vibe and thought it was a very good car. We upgraded the Montana to the Acadia a few months back and for the 1st 500 miles I commuted in it to break it in. When I got back into my Vibe I wondered what was wrong. It was noisy & rough. It seemed like a bucket of bolts. This was just based on how darn nice the Acadia really is. After a few weeks in the Vibe, I'm back to liking it again, but I LOVE the Acadia. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I had the seat "fix" done, but still have a spot on the track which allows the seat to slide a tiny bit when braking hard. I'm hoping that a new seat rack is designed that will take care of the problem.

I had a 2007 Cobalt for a week while the service dept searched for the cause of a water leak below the passenger side A-pillar area. This Cobalt was the most base model Cobalt one could design. I felt robbed of the luxuries I enjoyed in my Outlook.
Then I had a 2008 Trailblazer LT 4x4 for a day while the reflashes were being done. I at first thought it was a 1998 model because of the outdated interior. It was a sea of rubber and definately rode like a truck. Plus it was so small compared to my Outlook.
Now I have a 2008 Chrysler 300 Touring while the rear bumper cover on my Outlook gets repaired/painted due to a side-swiping Audi A4. The Chrysler gets the same mileage (17/24) as my AWD Outlook, yet it weighs 3700 lbs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess were just spoiled by our vehicles and nothing else will ever be sufficient. ;D I've driven my boyfriend's 97 Camry before and it feels like I'm driving a tank compared to my Acadia, plus it's so low to the ground, it feels absurd.

I haven't heard from the dealership yet. :-\ It'd be nice to at least get an update on how long this is going to take. I'll give them another half hour before I call and bother them. I'm all nice like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
What I would give to get a loaner like the ones you all are talking about. My dealer loans out 10+ year olds cars and if I am really lucky it might have a gallon or two of fuel!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dealer doesn't give loaner cars. Well not typically anyway. The one loaner they gave me once was a G6 that wreaked of cigarette smoke. That was pleasant.

They use Enterprise for all "loaner" cars for warranty work. Enterprise certainly has nicer cars than this lovely Cobalt I'm driving, but apparently they were low on vehicles still due to the holiday.

If my dealer gave me a 10 year old vehicle in exchange for my 07 Acadia, I'd probably stand there and laugh at them. heh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
Mine went back in the shop today. They are looking for the leak and fixing the steering wheel crunch. While it was in the shop last week, my brakes started making a squeeking sound (from inside not out) Anyway, when I made my appointment, I told my service advisor how unhappy I was. Long story short, we are driving a red jewel Enclave!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, so Tony just called me from Anthony Pontiac/Buick/GMC. He's awesome and always takes good care of me and my Acadia.

The results are:

a. They believe that I was right all along about the noise under the hood being power steering related. They will order a new power steering pump, however, apparently I'm third in line for a new one and they are on backorder from the manufacturer through GM. He ordered one a month ago and it still hasn't come in. He promises that this issue isn't a hazard and that I can continue to drive my Acadia until the new pump arrives. *huh* So what exactly happens if the pump decides to quit on me while driving?? Should I make an issue out of this? Not that I really would want to be out of my Acadia for over a month. I dunno what to do about this one.

b. Tony and the service technician were not able to duplicate the 45mph vibration. Tony had the service director drive my Acadia and Dan (that's the guy's name) did feel the vibration and knew exactly what I was talking about. Apparently they've received this complaint in the past about various pickups, Yukons, etc. They agree that it is not a normal vibration, but they aren't sure how to fix it on the Acadia. He wants to keep it through tomorrow in order to look into it further. He said he was going to drive another 07 Acadia on the lot to see if it also has the vibration. I reminded him that I did not feel this prior to the last tranny update so that he could take that into consideration.

c. My new lumbar lever has been ordered. No issue.

d. I'm told that the "play" in my seat track is of an acceptable level. *shrugs* I didn't hold much hope that they would do anything with that anyway. I just figured since it was in the shop, I'd bring it to their attention.

So that's pretty much where this shop experience stands at this time. I'm stuck with the Cobalt at least through tomorrow. Not a big deal though. It can sit at the train station while I'm at work all day. ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mckcab said:
Mine went back in the shop today. They are looking for the leak and fixing the steering wheel crunch. While it was in the shop last week, my brakes started making a squeeking sound (from inside not out) Anyway, when I made my appointment, I told my service advisor how unhappy I was. Long story short, we are driving a red jewel Enclave!!
My brakes were making a "blooping" noise initially, which they fixed by replacing the brake fluid. But I have noticed recently that if I'm at a stop and depress and release my brake pedal slightly, it squeaks. I forgot to mention that to them. It's not a big deal though. I'm sure it just needs to be greased up a bit.

So how's the Enclave?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
YOU ARE THIRD IN LINE!?!?!!? This sounds like a BIG problem. I am so sorry! Did you ever have a crunching sound? Just wondering if they could be related.

Enclave drives OK, I just feel like it is so much smaller. The bad part is I almost feel embarrased to admit it is mine. I know, it is nice, but I can't get over the blown up station wagon look!! ;D (Sorry Enclave people, just not my cup 'o tea.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Web Raven said:
But I have noticed recently that if I'm at a stop and depress and release my brake pedal slightly, it squeaks. I forgot to mention that to them. It's not a big deal though. I'm sure it just needs to be greased up a bit.
Wow, this just started happening on my '08 Outlook and it's driving me crazy. I've just got to find the time to take it in to be looked at.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mckcab said:
YOU ARE THIRD IN LINE!?!?!!? This sounds like a BIG problem. I am so sorry! Did you ever have a crunching sound? Just wondering if they could be related.

Enclave drives OK, I just feel like it is so much smaller. The bad part is I almost feel embarrased to admit it is mine. I know, it is nice, but I can't get over the blown up station wagon look!! ;D (Sorry Enclave people, just not my cup 'o tea.)
I haven't experienced anything like a "crunching" noise and I have over 15,000 miles on my Acadia so far. Just left with this squeaky brake pedal which I'm sure can be fixed easily.

I wasn't too surprised to hear that other Acadias were having power steering pump issues because I thought I read elsewhere on this forum that it was a known problem. Sucks to have to wait for it, but what else are ya gonna do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I really wish they would find a solution to keep the seat from moving forward every time I apply the brakes (I'm not talking about the bumpy seat track problem) My Acadia has over 6000 miles on it and it jolts forward almost every time I brake, even if it's not a hard stop. IT IS SO ANNOYING :banghead: This issue alone is making me reconsider my purchase. Please let us know what they say about this issue.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
stevemel said:
I really wish they would find a solution to keep the seat from moving forward every time I apply the brakes (I'm not talking about the bumpy seat track problem) My Acadia has over 6000 miles on it and it jolts forward almost every time I brake, even if it's not a hard stop. IT IS SO ANNOYING :banghead: This issue alone is making me reconsider my purchase. Please let us know what they say about this issue.
Mine has only jolted forward on me once when I came to a very abrupt stop, but that also included my son leaning on the back of the seat. It has never moved on me prior to that and hasn't moved on me since that. I have over 15,000 miles and have had the vehicle since early March. They aren't considering that this is a problem at this point and don't intend on addressing it. Which is okay with me because I really haven't had a serious issue with it, just that one instance. If it should get worse in the future, I will continue to complain about it to the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
HeatherA said:
Web Raven said:
But I have noticed recently that if I'm at a stop and depress and release my brake pedal slightly, it squeaks. I forgot to mention that to them. It's not a big deal though. I'm sure it just needs to be greased up a bit.
Wow, this just started happening on my '08 Outlook and it's driving me crazy. I've just got to find the time to take it in to be looked at.
I know it sounds crazy but I just took my Enclave in for service this morning, oil change tire rotation, and I mentioned the squeaky brake pedal that I had posted about earlier in this thread. Service Mgr came to tell me that lubrication did not fix the noise so they checked for outstanding TSB's and found PIT3779D which said to flush all brake fluid and replace with any DOT 3 compliant fluid & NOT to use GM brand brake fluid! Hows that for weird? Do not use GM fluid.... He said that was the first time they had run into this at this Dealership, and this Dealership has sold quite a few Enclaves.
Once again. This is not noise from the brakes themselves, but noise from the brake pedal area only when the engine is running. When the engine was off & you pressed the pedal there was no noise. I drove home about 10 miles with numerous stoplights & no noise.. I would assume the same situation for the Acadias.. Noise started around 4500 miles...now has 5400.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
I wish I had known that two hours ago. Got it back from the dealer, my service rep heard the squeak and the steering wheel crunch, but surprise, the tech dudes couldn't. They did fix the leak, drain problems from the sunroof.

Looks like I wait another couple of weeks and bring it back in. :eek:hno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
firebird said:
HeatherA said:
Web Raven said:
But I have noticed recently that if I'm at a stop and depress and release my brake pedal slightly, it squeaks. I forgot to mention that to them. It's not a big deal though. I'm sure it just needs to be greased up a bit.
Wow, this just started happening on my '08 Outlook and it's driving me crazy. I've just got to find the time to take it in to be looked at.
I know it sounds crazy but I just took my Enclave in for service this morning, oil change tire rotation, and I mentioned the squeaky brake pedal that I had posted about earlier in this thread. Service Mgr came to tell me that lubrication did not fix the noise so they checked for outstanding TSB's and found PIT3779D which said to flush all brake fluid and replace with any DOT 3 compliant fluid & NOT to use GM brand brake fluid! Hows that for weird? Do not use GM fluid.... He said that was the first time they had run into this at this Dealership, and this Dealership has sold quite a few Enclaves.
Once again. This is not noise from the brakes themselves, but noise from the brake pedal area only when the engine is running. When the engine was off & you pressed the pedal there was no noise. I drove home about 10 miles with numerous stoplights & no noise.. I would assume the same situation for the Acadias.. Noise started around 4500 miles...now has 5400.
They actually did that last time I had it in for the blooping noise. Got rid of that noise, but the pedal still squeaks. I'll bring it up next time. They're still jacking around with the vibration thing right now. Tony called me again today to say he checked for TSBs and ended up printing 100+ pages on fixes for this vibration that include checking the engine mounts, transmission mounts and a host of other things from front end to back end. He's keeping it another day. And I get to keep this lovely 2006 Chevy Colbalt with over 30K on it that feels like the wheels are wobbling. Super.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
My Acadia has gone through the basic reworking of the tracks and motor but frankly the GM solution is a piece of crap and reflects some pretty sorry Engineering and quality. As well I believe that as shaky and jerky as the seats are (to the extent of reminding me of a rocking chair), I believe at some point somebody is going to be injured or killed when the seat breaks loose in an impact! :angryfire:
Eventually the Feds will probably have to get involved, of course somebody will have to get killed first
GM needs to wake up on this and some of the other repetitive items reflecting real concern by GM owners that have laid out a lot of money for what is generally a nice vehicle that got released for production apparently before adequate testing. :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
jrc50 said:
Eventually the Feds will probably have to get involved, of course somebody will have to get killed first
GM needs to wake up on this and some of the other repetitive items reflecting real concern by GM owners that have laid out a lot of money for what is generally a nice vehicle that got released for production apparently before adequate testing. :banghead:
thats what i was saying before that GM rushed the production of this vehicle and the owners are sowing the gripes... :eek:hno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jrc50 said:
My Acadia has gone through the basic reworking of the tracks and motor but frankly the GM solution is a piece of crap and reflects some pretty sorry Engineering and quality. As well I believe that as shaky and jerky as the seats are (to the extent of reminding me of a rocking chair), I believe at some point somebody is going to be injured or killed when the seat breaks loose in an impact! :angryfire:
Eventually the Feds will probably have to get involved, of course somebody will have to get killed first
GM needs to wake up on this and some of the other repetitive items reflecting real concern by GM owners that have laid out a lot of money for what is generally a nice vehicle that got released for production apparently before adequate testing. :banghead:
I know some people are having major issues with the seat problem, however, it's really not high on my list of concerns to be honest with you. It's only jolted on me that one time, and that was with my son applying pressure to the back of it and me braking unusually hard.

There is a slight hiccup in my seat track when moving it forward and backward, but I'm the only driver of the vehicle and the seat is rarely, if ever, moved unless I'm cleaning the vehicle and need to vacuum underneath it.

So, for my purposes, this is not a big gripe. The only reason I brought it up to the dealer is because I had it in for other reasons already and thought if they had something that would address it, fine, fix it. If not, no skin off my back.

For those having serious problems with it, I do hope that GM comes up with a fix for you soon before something drastic does happen.

The one thing that worries me the most about this shop experience is that I'm being told it's safe to drive around with a power steering pump that needs to be replaced because it's whining like a biotch. What happens if that puppy gives out while I'm driving? What if I'm driving at a fairly quick speed when it happens? Hell, what if I'm on an exit ramp from the tollway or turning onto a busy highway when it happens? They said it could be months before they would be able to get a replacement for me. What am I supposed to do? And better yet, what could they possibly do for me? They can't keep me in a rental for months on end waiting for the new pump. :-\
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top