GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we packed up the Acadia and started our trip from NY toPA Dutch country.

I pre-programmed all our destinations into the NAV the night before. All were found using the POI function. :thumb:

We utilized all 3 rows,the area behind the 3rd row and thecargobox. We had four big duffel bags in the cargo box with a big bag ofdiapers, a huge Graco stroller in the trunk with one more duffel bag and a 3 step stepstool.

3.5 hrs ,200 miles and 17 mpg later we made it to our destination. Quick review.....

Road manners - My family, including myself, were very impressed with the way the almost 6k lb(loaded up) SUV handled. My mother commented it switched lanes like acar. Not topheavy. I was very impressed howeasy it was tohandle thru LI,NYC, Jersey Tpke, PA tpk,etc.

Engine and tranny - Well, I was very impressed with the get up and go and power reserve at highway speeds onthe Acadia. For a v6, it is very peppy and willing to oblige when the gas pedal is pressed. As for the tranny... :-[ ???. Unless we were cruising,I shifted it into manual (L) mode. The tranny just shifted into 6 th gear way to early and left no power to do anything. I shifted into L and it drove like a champ. Mid-August can't come soon enough for the tranny update.

Nav unit - WOW. Very impressed.PRogrammed all places in and found them flawlessly. We have been coming here all our lives so my parents know it like home. My mom agreed with all the directions spit out. She never agrees with anyhting I say though. Go figure. I was very impressed with directions through Lancaster and Hershey. Money well spent just for this trip alone. Will get more feedback today.

MPG - I avgd 17 mpg through city streets,tpke 75 mphdriving and stop and go traffic. Not bad having the 4500 lb truck loaded with about 1000 lbs more in body weight and luggage.

So far, very happy except for tranny on this trip. On a side note, we saw only 1 Acadia on the road. Liquid silver with PA plates on 276 yesterday around 1-2 pm yesterday. Raise your hand if it was you.LOL!! Female driver also.

Off to start day 2.

JOe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
Joe,

Like you I just finished a roughly 1000 mile trip recently. Mine wasn't loaded like yours, but I was very impressed with how the vehicle drove on a long trip. It was comfortable, quiet, and handled great. I was caught in a lot of very heavy traffic, and at one point we just sat for twenty minutes so the CHP could land a medivac helicopter for injured parties in an accident. The outside temp was about 102 so we had the air on the whole time. Our mileage for that tank was about 16 mpg. The next tank we were doing the tourist thing up the California coast and doing a lot of slow driving with numerous stops here and there. The second tank improved to 17.5 mpg. The last tank was mostly highway driving and the mileage improved to 22.5. Out on the open road I have no doubt that it would return a steady 22 -24 mpg.

When I drive the car, I almost always leave it in L and lockout 6th gear and even 5th when I know my speeds are going to be fairly low to prevent gear hunting by the trans. This works very well. On the freeways and highways I leave it in D and use all 6 speeds.

I now have close to 10,000 on the car with no problems except having the TSB's done. Mine is a very early one and I don't think the panel fit in quite as good as the ones being built now, but it's not bad, just not perfect. It has been a very good vehicle so far.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fenwah said:
NY_Joe...is this your first trip with the Acadia outside the NY metro area?
Yes, it was. We wentto CT last month in my wifes passat
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 2 done.

Today was less freeway driving and more back road driving through Lancasterand Strousburg.

NAV was flawless again picking all the backroads up,etc. Didn't check the MPG b/c it wasn't very far distance being driven. Rainrd in the morning and at night. Acadia was glued to the road through deep puddles due to lack of drainage.

The only qualm from today was again tranny related. I really want tolike the tranny but it turns a 45k vehicle into an 84 Datsun with a bad tranny. Today was a prime example. Backroad driving with mostly flat driving. At certain points there were inclines. After coaxing a downshift or 2 it accelerated upthe hill but would shift into the highest gear at 1800 rpms while I was still trying to accelerate. ???

That sapped whatever torque/power that was there right out. I then had to feather the guess which gave me the nice hard thump when shifting. :eek:hno: I guess I have to alter my driving habits of the last 17yrs to adjust to this cars attempts at getting better mpg. :help: I guess I willdrive in "L" unless cruising to compensate for the tranny with ADD or OCD. More than enough power fromthe V6, just bad shifting patterns.

To end the night we came out of Miller's Smorgesbord to find a Med Brwn Acadia SLT with 19's parked nose to nose with mine. NJ plates.

Drive home tomm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
What?? No Dutch Wonderland update? Atleast you has 274 more horsepower than the Amish had ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
We just got back from vacation in the mountains. I had to hold down the accelerator to make it up the windy roads to our cabin. It struggled big time on inclines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
deanne said:
We just got back from vacation in the mountains. I had to hold down the accelerator to make it up the windy roads to our cabin. It struggled big time on inclines.
Did you manually shift down to a lower gear? You can't rely on this transmission to select the best gear for the conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
This is just a comment on the Acadia transmission. There is very little to dislike about the Acadia. It is a very well thought out vehicle with many atributes, but the transmission can spoil the whole driving experience. I have no idea what the engineers were thinking of when they finalized the programming of this transmission and released it for production. They sure weren't thinking about owners gratification when driving the Acadia. The word will get out as more Acadia's are sold that owners are unhappy with the performance of the transmission, and this might be why they're starting to appear on the used market. We are going to have ours reflashed when the new program becomes available in August, and if doesn't take care of most of the early shifting and sluggish performance, we have decided to sell the car. It's a real pity because the vehicle is not a lemon in any way, the transmissions performance just spoils the way it drives.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shudson said:
What?? No Dutch Wonderland update? Atleast you has 274 more horsepower than the Amish had ;D
We loved DW.

My son screamed on the bigslide.He liked the carousel. He loved the cars. Went on them 4 times.

He will go on more next year I think.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
big bear craig said:
This is just a comment on the Acadia transmission. There is very little to dislike about the Acadia. It is a very well thought out vehicle with many atributes, but the transmission can spoil the whole driving experience. I have no idea what the engineers were thinking of when they finalized the programming of this transmission and released it for production. They sure weren't thinking about owners gratification when driving the Acadia. The word will get out as more Acadia's are sold that owners are unhappy with the performance of the transmission, and this might be why they're starting to appear on the used market. We are going to have ours reflashed when the new program becomes available in August, and if doesn't take care of most of the early shifting and sluggish performance, we have decided to sell the car. It's a real pity because the vehicle is not a lemon in any way, the transmissions performance just spoils the way it drives.
I wouldn't go as far as trading it in. It does spoil the package but that is why I find a way around it now. Let's see about this update. I agree with the statement of "what were they thinking". I can;t see that as the reason some are on the used market though. They are probably from rental fleets or the first models released to employees for testing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 3 done.

Woke up to another Silver Acadia in the parking lot. We stayed at Willow Valley in Lancaster. I always think it's someone on this board when I see one.I was going to leave a note butmy family thought I was crazy the night before.

I did a once over on the MEd Brown one thenight before. SLT, ebony int, 19's and a NJ playe starting with "VNH". My father honked the horn at me and asked me if I was going to try and mate them...get in the friggin car!!! lol

Well,packed up the roof box and the rest of the car. As I was climbing down form the step stool some guy and his family were walking towards me.All I hear is.."Look honey, there it is. The new GMC, it seats 7and is like a car. Look at that." I smiled and waved and could see he wanted to talk. The wife pushed him in the back and made him keep walking. LOL!!

We packed up and started out. I decided to drive differently due to an IM I received from one of our insiders regarding this thread. He commented "You might be in the class of people who won't enjoy the vehicle until it has a V8." I got to thinking. My Envoy Denali had a 300 hp V8 that left nothing on the table. It had power on call at any time. I wasn't used to a delay in response with the pedal. I changed vehicles but was still driving the way I had the Denali.

I drove the hilly roads and merged on the interstates a little differently. I predicted when I would need more power or want a little oomph and used the pedal accordingly. I have to say, I was a lot happier.The only problem I encountered was when I was doing 75 with traffic and slowed down to like 40 and started to accelerate. If I didn't use the correct amount of pressure I would be in 6th by 55 mph and be bogged down.

Overall, adjusting the way I drove made a big difference. There is still the issue of pickup when trying to merge or make a manuever and the problemI mentioned above. If those get fixed in the update I wll be really happy.

- The NAV was flawless all weekend. Everyone was impressed.

- The comfort level of this car is amazing. Even with all 3 rows occupied and the car packed there was room to move and be comfortable.

- The tale of the tape....523 miles traveled, 17 mpg avg, avg speed of 67 mph. Tire pressure was 38 on cold tires, 41 on warmed up tires.

I would highly recommend the roof rials and Thule box also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Sounds like a nice drive. That's one thing I've noticed with the Acadia: very good road manner, and rather quiet, too. By the way, did you use cruise control a lot? Is it responsive, or do you see it overshooting (i.e. going up hills, etc).

It's too bad about that transmission, seems like it's always on the back of your mind. You shouldn't have to "guess" when the power will come on and have to adjust your driving style, that's just a bad example of trying to squeeze too many mpg out of an engine that can't deliver the torque you would need to get moving in higher gears and low rpms. It's also silly that this issue is the only thing holding me back from buying...heck, if my wife noticed something funny about the transmission when she test drove--and she's not picky--something is definitely not right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
NY-Joe forgive me for sounding naive, but what do you mean by "update." Is there a recall regarding the transmission that I'm not aware of or that the dealer didn't mention? I'm also having difficulty getting up some local hills. So much so, I almost had someone in my trunk today because I thought the car would pick up speed quicker and it didn't.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nxs138 said:
Sounds like a nice drive. That's one thing I've noticed with the Acadia: very good road manner, and rather quiet, too. By the way, did you use cruise control a lot? Is it responsive, or do you see it overshooting (i.e. going up hills, etc).

It's too bad about that transmission, seems like it's always on the back of your mind. You shouldn't have to "guess" when the power will come on and have to adjust your driving style, that's just a bad example of trying to squeeze too many mpg out of an engine that can't deliver the torque you would need to get moving in higher gears and low rpms. It's also silly that this issue is the only thing holding me back from buying...heck, if my wife noticed something funny about the transmission when she test drove--and she's not picky--something is definitely not right.
Used the cruise control going.Didn't overshoot.

It just couldn't hold a speed going up a hill. It would decrease and then be like Oh shiet and catch upto the speed. I never liked cruise control anyway. Never used much on previous cars.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jzexpress said:
NY-Joe forgive me for sounding naive, but what do you mean by "update." Is there a recall regarding the transmission that I'm not aware of or that the dealer didn't mention? I'm also having difficulty getting up some local hills. So much so, I almost had someone in my trunk today because I thought the car would pick up speed quicker and it didn't.
I have family members that carry people in their trunk as well, but that is a different story for a different day. Don't want thefeds finding out. LOL!!

Serious though, why would it pick up speedquickerthat way?

If you have an 07,there was a tranny update from March or so. Also,according to one of our insiders who did the testing and calibration first hand there will be anotherone out in mid-August. He hasn't gone into specifics, but he said we will notice a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
NY_Joe said:
We packed up and started out. I decided to drive differently due to an IM I received from one of our insiders regarding this thread. He commented "You might be in the class of people who won't enjoy the vehicle until it has a V8." I got to thinking. My Envoy Denali had a 300 hp V8 that left nothing on the table. It had power on call at any time. I wasn't used to a delay in response with the pedal. I changed vehicles but was still driving the way I had the Denali.

I drove the hilly roads and merged on the interstates a little differently. I predicted when I would need more power or want a little oomph and used the pedal accordingly. I have to say, I was a lot happier.The only problem I encountered was when I was doing 75 with traffic and slowed down to like 40 and started to accelerate. If I didn't use the correct amount of pressure I would be in 6th by 55 mph and be bogged down.

Overall, adjusting the way I drove made a big difference. There is still the issue of pickup when trying to merge or make a manuever and the problemI mentioned above. If those get fixed in the update I wll be really happy.
I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to win you back Joe, but now I think there's hope. That's a big part of what the new update will do. It will "predict" in a way when you need more power or want a little more oomph. Only difference is that you won't have to "force" the pedal to do it. The trans response will be better matched to your pedal input.

Overall the trans should feel much smoother after you get the new update. I think you're going to be very pleased.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
I wish I had family members that could put some people in a trunk. LOL

I have an '08 FWD. Hopefully, whatever comes out in Aug. will help. My heart was pounding this afternoon when the guy behind me was up my you know what. All in all I love the car, but the speed thing makes me especially nervous for the winter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lzwhb2 said:
NY_Joe said:
We packed up and started out. I decided to drive differently due to an IM I received from one of our insiders regarding this thread. He commented "You might be in the class of people who won't enjoy the vehicle until it has a V8." I got to thinking. My Envoy Denali had a 300 hp V8 that left nothing on the table. It had power on call at any time. I wasn't used to a delay in response with the pedal. I changed vehicles but was still driving the way I had the Denali.

I drove the hilly roads and merged on the interstates a little differently. I predicted when I would need more power or want a little oomph and used the pedal accordingly. I have to say, I was a lot happier.The only problem I encountered was when I was doing 75 with traffic and slowed down to like 40 and started to accelerate. If I didn't use the correct amount of pressure I would be in 6th by 55 mph and be bogged down.

Overall, adjusting the way I drove made a big difference. There is still the issue of pickup when trying to merge or make a manuever and the problemI mentioned above. If those get fixed in the update I wll be really happy.
I was beginning to think I wouldn't be able to win you back Joe, but now I think there's hope. That's a big part of what the new update will do. It will "predict" in a way when you need more power or want a little more oomph. Only difference is that you won't have to "force" the pedal to do it. The trans response will be better matched to your pedal input.

Overall the trans should feel much smoother after you get the new update. I think you're going to be very pleased.
I was getting worried uyou wouldn't chime in.

When I went to pick up my dog in my wifes Passat I paid attention. She has a 6 spd 260 hp V6. The dog sheds too much to go in my truck.LOL!!!

It reacted similiarly but not with the delay of the Acadia. That took 2 flashes to get right as well.

I guess I was comapring to hard and driving like it was the V8. It still has its flaws but was better when driven not expecting the V8 reaction.

If this came with a V8,OMG. It would be a bigger hit then it is now.

I am thinking of getting rid of it b/c it is now becoming to mainstream for me. LOL!!

Just let us know when the update hits the dealers.

thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jzexpress said:
I wish I had family members that could put some people in a trunk. LOL

I have an '08 FWD. Hopefully, whatever comes out in Aug. will help. My heart was pounding this afternoon when the guy behind me was up my you know what. All in all I love the car, but the speed thing makes me especially nervous for the winter.
You have the first update but will want this second on as well.

I can arrange some help with those family members. I will deny everyhting though. : )
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top