GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear, I need to put my Acadia into a protective bubble whenever I leave it unattended in a parking lot. I have to commute downtown for work on the train every day, so I am forced to leave my precious Acadia sitting in a parking lot all day long. Unfortunately that parking lot seems to be full of inconsiderate jerks who really don't have a flying ratt's patoot about other people's vehicles! A while back I returned from work to find a nice sized ding in my right rear fender above the wheel. Complete with a nice scratch in the paint. Lovely. One time I was backing out of my spot, halfway out at the time mind you, and this woman thought she could zip by and squeeze behind me. I smashed right into her drivers side door. At least the only thing that broke was that little reflector in my bumper which cost only $16 to replace. Can't say the same for her door. Then not too long after that, someone must have opened their door into my drivers' side. Fortunately that scuff mark came right off. I've tried parking in different spots to minimize contact with other vehicles. Yesterday I came back to find 3 small scratches on my passenger side rear door. WTF?!?! I went nuts. WHY CAN'T PEOPLE BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHER PEOPLE'S VEHICLES?!?! :banghead: :angryfire:

My poor Acadia is barely 6 months old and it has more knicks, dings and scratches on it than the last two cars I've owned! *sigh* Thanks for letting me vent. :eek:hno:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Nothing you can do will stop the dillholes from tearing up your car. Most people just don't care. :eek:hno: The only thing you can do is buy a cheap beater to drive to leave in the lot. I did this for a while after I got my first nice car after college. I bought a 15 year old Honda Civic for $375 to drive to work and kept the nice car at home. I didn't care if it got door dings or whatever. I know many people will think it's a waste of money to have two cars for this purpose, but at least you won't get heartburn after getting off the train after work to see a nice new door ding in your baby.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Got my ding at the car wash. Took it there to get bird doo off it during lunch hour one day. After going through the wash, it was parked next to a Honda Ridgeline while they were cleaning the glass in both cars. Since the door was left open for me to get in, I never noticed the ding (at least an inch and a half long right next to the door handle) until I left work for the day. Since I park in no man's land here at the office park, the only place it could have happened was at the car wash.

PS the final insult was that not only did I find this, but in the meantime that afternoon, another bird had done his business about two inches from the spot of the original reason I had gone to the car wash!!! Sheesh.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know the feeling. I try to park as far away from store fronts as possible. I just wish people would stop admiring my Acadia. People act as if it is an alien space craft and MUST check it out. When I first got my Acadia, I was making a sales call when someone came up to me and asked if the GMC "out front" was mine. I replied yes. He told me that all the employees were outside "checking it out". Later that night, I found PERMANANT hand prints on the drivers side black door pillars. Fortunately, I was able to remove them with Mothers Cleaner Wax after a few applications. (I highly recommend this wax)

·
Registered
812 Posts
:thumb: yap! park it away from any vehicles, thats the only protection you can have to avoid these dings....

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SioXie said:
:thumb: yap! park it away from any vehicles, thats the only protection you can have to avoid these dings....
Unfortunately at a train station parking lot, it's impossible to park it somewhere that other cars are not going to park. I try to pick a spot where it's only possible for another vehicle to park on one side of me, so at least it limits the damage somewhat.

I am seriously considering the idea posted above of buying a beater car just for driving to the train station each day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have the same problem. I am a fanatic about parking in no mans land at work. Luckily I have a parking garage I can use so not only can I park next to a cement pole so no one can park on one side, but I can pull in way far over so there is no chance of anyones door hitting me. Of course that didn't stop some jerk at Costco from dinging and scratching my car. I was all set to purchase some Zaino and get to work with a clay bar and some polish, now I have to wait until I can get the car in to have the ding repaired and the door repainted. Such a pain, now I won't drive anythin but the wife's car anywhere that I can't park way far away in the lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Aren't the Lambdas a bit wider than other vehicles? I guess it is an ongoing trend anyways. We'll need to pay extra attention to wider parking spots and remote spots. Just being wider makes them more of a "magnet" for colliding objects.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Federico said:
Aren't the Lambdas a bit wider than other vehicles?
Pfft, not where I live. All of the shopping soccer moms drive Expeditions and Excursions.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Web Raven said:
I am seriously considering the idea posted above of buying a beater car just for driving to the train station each day.
I grew up on Long Island and when I was in high school many cars were actually advertised in the newspaper classifieds as "good station car". Not sure if this term is still used but you are correct that all you need is a beater to get to/from the train station.

·
Registered
812 Posts
one of the worst parking spot would be your local grocery store and [email protected]

·
Registered
389 Posts
My husband's brother is a DC attorney and drives a 20+ year old Honda Civic to and from his commute location, whether it is the van pool or the metro. The car is a POS and my husband wonders why he is still driving it. But, he just needs to drive a couple miles to the train station and park it all day so who cares? Their other car is an Odyssey. Woo hoo.

Cars are bad in parking lots period. Kids wreck people's cars all the time. At church the other day a friend grabbed me and asked if I knew who owned the green whatever car she was pointing to. I didn't. Her kid dinged it up really good. She put a note on it and luckily we have a friend who is a mobile dent repair guy and she offered to pay for him or insurance to take care of it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I park close to a curb or away from other cars. But I never take up more than one space (diagonal parking). Growing up I use to know some kids that would intentionally key up cars parked like this. They thought the drivers thought they were better than other people, so the idiots would mess with them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
paid36 said:
I park close to a curb or away from other cars. But I never take up more than one space (diagonal parking). Growing up I use to know some kids that would intentionally key up cars parked like this. They thought the drivers thought they were better than other people, so the idiots would mess with them.
I never keyed them but I used to park my '65 Fairlane as close as humanly possible to them and make it extremely difficult for them go get out. I didn't car if they hit me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We did that today...as we pulled into the parking lot to get my 3 year old's haircut - there was a Mercedes parked liked they owned the world and my Honda was small enough that while most other cars/SUV's/Vans would have passed it by, I took the spot and parked so perfectly decent next to it they would not be able to get in from the driver's seat. My car is 9 years old - who cares if it gets a ding. I grudgingly out of habit reminded my 3 year old little darlin' not to swing her door open too far after she refused to get out of the other side. I came around to see my car door resting against the Benz. Oops.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never park like I own the world because it does irk me when people do that, though I have to say, I never thought to cause harm to another individual's car due to the way they park. I just silently curse them for thinking they're all that. I'd hate for someone to think I've parked "wrong" and take it out on my vehicle. I've been parked absolutely perfectly in a spot and had some ******* park so close to my car that I couldn't even get in the drivers' side door. I'm thin, but I'm not THAT thin. LOL I have a friend here at work who, if someone parks ridiculously close to her car, she'll take lipstick and put it all up under their drivers' side door handle. She's fanatical about her vehicles though. SHE is the one who is parking in the middle of no-man's land to stay away from other cars. heh

So far there have been no new scratches or dings on my poor Acadia. I think I'll wash and wax it this weekend to see if any of those other scratches come out. I also have to get it in for it's 12,000 mile checkup. I'm 145 miles past due. Ooops. I do think though, that as soon as I get my hands on some extra $$$ (haha, what's that?), I'll invest in a crappy lil car to drive to and from the train station. Maybe I'll get another old Camaro. I miss the one I used to have.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Web Raven said:
I never park like I own the world because it does irk me when people do that, though I have to say, I never thought to cause harm to another individual's car due to the way they park.
I will follow up by saying that 1, I would never harm someone else's vehicle. 2, this was in high school and I think I've matured slightly in the 25+ years since then and 3, I would only do this when they park close to the store. If they park out in no-man's-land, I don't give a darn.

PS, I love the lipstick trick. Perhaps I should start carrying... :eek:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Let me just reiterate, no damage was done to the mis-parked Benz. I checked. I would never harm a vehicle on purpose either. Sometimes you just can't negotiate with a 3 year old. Period. let alone getting them to climb out the other side of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
big bear craig said:
Mama2girls,

I'm sending you an email.

BBC
Was it your Benz she parked next to? LOL Sorry, it was too convenient.

Mama2girls, I hear ya. Not that I have any 3 year olds around, but the door has sometimes gotten away from me or caught in the wind and smacked another car too. And once a cart corral. Boy did I cuss myself out for that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts