GMC Acadia Forum banner

Acadia finally arrived! Comments/questions

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  teetertotter 
#1 ·
So I finally received my carbon metallic SLT-2 today. I cannot get over how ecstatic I am, like a child in a candy store. :D

Before my purchase I test drove 3 of them so between those, and from being on this site, I was familiar with most of the features. But there were still things I didn't know and found pleasantly surprising.

I'm sure most of you know these but they're still nice to find being I've only been an owner for a couple of hours now.

Passenger compartments- I can't believe how many compartments there are. Both the driver and passenger doors have drink holders in them and the front passenger has storage areas on the door and near the foot area.

Mirrors- I really like how both mirrors fold in simultaneously. For some reason I thought there would be separate switches for them and that one day I'd forget to fold one while folding the other- just awesome.

Visors- I had no idea that the visors stretched, slid and moved! Hehe, I've always wished, in previous cars, that they were just a bit longer for sun blockage and it seems that GM even considered "the little things."

Memory channels- I purposely chose the 6-cd changer and love it. I cannot believe how many memory slots there are! And I think it's wonderful that you can mix your favorites with FM/XM/AM- never had a car where you could do that, yet so simple!

HUD- I really wanted this and am so happy I got it. I like staring straight at the road and still knowing how fast I'm going and what the weather is. I absolutely love how it's integrated with the XM so as not to take my eyes off the road even for a split second. Great idea! (Can you tell I'm ecstatic?)

The Acadia was all that I hoped for and more. The downsides, if you can even call them that...

My Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited seats were a little more comfortable but I'm sure I'll settle in the firmer Acadia seats in no time. Also, the Jeep had a V8 so in turn, you could feel a little more pep and pick-up. I know having the better gas mileage and the luxury of a car-like feeling are trade-offs and I was willing to sacrifice. Other than that, I am in love with this car.

Questions-

I heard there are supposed to be gloves included in the jack area. I didn't find any- just some plastic (a bag?). Where are they located? I don't think my Acadia came with any but I really don't mind. Are they "hidden" somewhere?

I was wondering if my EZ-Pass would be okay on the black mesh, and then I came across this thread:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=753.0

So now that I'm okay with where to put my EZ-Pass, does anyone really know what the black mesh is for? On that thread it was suggested for the DRLs but that seemed to be dismissed. Other suggestions were for sun blockage. I was thinking it was part of an integrated antenna possibly for the XM or Onstar. Any one know exactly what it's for?

I have minor scratches on my rear chrome bumper already :angryfire:! How often do you clean your outer chrome parts (door handles, etc.)? I'm worried about rust, especially here in NY. Can these scratches be buffed out? (Yes, I did a search on here and couldn't find an answer- could be user error :beer:).

Lastly, in the manual (page 511) it states to use GM Optikleen Washer Solvent. Is this absolutely necessary or can we use regular washer fluid? Do you think using regular washer fluid would affect how the heated fluid would work?

Thanks ahead of time. I am EXTREMELY happy to now be a proud owner of an Acadia!

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on your Acadia, charge!! I picked mine up today too! :cheers:

You brought up a lot of interesting things. I forgot all about the power folding mirrors....salesman forgot to show me that. I have to sit down and read the manual yet.

Enjoy your new ride!! :blob:

Louise :angel:

#5 ·
The "chrome" is not really chrome on most of the surfaces. The bumper and grill are plastic, and they scratch very easily. Mine are already scratched, and I was wondering today if they were going to fix this obvious inadequacy. They really should have gone the distance and used REAL chrome on the bumper and grill, but since they said bumper to bumper on the three year warranty I plan on bringing this up eventually and am hoping the people at GMC come up with real metal to replace it. Other than that I REALLY love my Acadia and hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

#6 ·
How do you like the HUD? I didn't opt for that because I thought that it would be distracting, like a reflection off the windshield from something on the dash board.

#7 ·
charge said:
Lastly, in the manual (page 511) it states to use GM Optikleen Washer Solvent. Is this absolutely necessary or can we use regular washer fluid? Do you think using regular washer fluid would affect how the heated fluid would work?
Just bumping this back up. Anybody know the answer to his washer fluid question? Good to know if/when we run out of fluid.

-- Paul

#8 ·
charge said:
So I finally received my carbon metallic SLT-2 today. I cannot get over how ecstatic I am, like a child in a candy store. :D
Have had mine 4 weeks and I'm still the same. It has been a constant source of amusement for my wife. :crazy:

Welcome to the club. :cheers:

#9 ·
I have not ran out of washer fluid yet, so I don't know about that question. The HUD is a must in my opinion. It is not distracting at all and adds to the safety factor.

#10 ·
The manual states "Recommended[/color] Fluids and Lubricants" - you can use other fluids that are not GM branded. The manual also states on page 420 "When adding windshield washer fluid, be sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions before use." Basically stating that you can use any appropriate windshield washer fluid. No where in the manual does is state any different for the heated windshield washer system in regards to fluid. I have a 2000 Suburban without heated windshield washer system and it recommends GM Optikleen Washer Solvent - it has been their branded product for years.

#11 ·
TMMAR said:
How do you like the HUD? I didn't opt for that because I thought that it would be distracting, like a reflection off the windshield from something on the dash board.
I was dead-set against the HUD at first because I also thought it would be distracting, but I'm so glad I got it. I'm a lead-foot so it has really helped me to have the speed right in front of my nose - I've been driving slower and more cautiously. And I didn't realize until our second test drive that the HUD also shows what song is playing on the radio - I love that feature.

#12 ·
With the HUD, I don't even look at the guages except for fuel. I'm trying to picture what the guages actually look like :jaw: :angel:

#14 ·
ONE WEEK REVIEW

The good:

I'm really enjoying the red dash lighting- I think it looks sleek. I like it a lot better than green or blue. The XM rocks and I love listening to it.

I really thought, from reading a lot of posts on this board, that this vehicle would lack pep and pick-up. I occasionally feel a very slight "lag" but am impressed with the pick-up and acceleration. It's better than I thought it would be.

TMMAR said:
I love the HUD. You don't always have to view it if you don't want to but I just keep it on. I like how I can see the XM channels and singers on it. I also like watching my speed and seeing the weather at all times for some reason. My buddy had a Pontiac back in '94 that had the same thing, only just the speed, and I always thought that was "cool."

I'm still not used to all of the dash buttons and steering wheel controls. I like figuring things out for myself more than reading the manual though.

I'm still getting used to the firmer seats and wish there was a better height to rest my arm on the door.

I was also surprised with backing up- the visibility to the ground is really lacking and I'm glad they're adding the rear view camera in the future models.

The first time I drove it at night I wasn't even a couple miles down the road. I had my low-beams on and a car flashed me and actually pulled over until I drove by. Granted, we were on a hill but still- I hope the HIDS aren't so bright as to cause a serious distraction to most drivers.

I do have 2 issues though...

One is while listening to the Onstar, there is moderate static. I saw at least 2 other threads on this so I know it's not only my vehicle. This doesn't bother me much and it did it on the test drive so I knew about it ahead of time. I thought it might go away though. After Onstar uploads the directions to the Acadia however, the sound is fine coming directly from my car.

Secondly, the Acadia's in the shop already :-[. The first couple of days it started fine. Then it would act like it was having trouble starting and wouldn't start until the second time. This happens both with manual starting and the remote start. Today (on the way to the shop), after it tried starting it made a "clunk-like" noise. Glad I was heading toward the shop! It sounds as if it's having a hard time turning over so I knew this was something that should immediately be looked into. I'm a little disappointed this started happening within about 4 days and is in the shop after only a week but hey, it's a first year vehicle. While it's there I'm having them check the Onstar too.

Haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary. The ride is smooth and the sound is great. I really do love this vehicle.

One question- is there a way to go down on the XM stations with the steering wheel controls? Or just up?

I'll update when I get my Acadia back from the shop.

#15 ·
I had the HUD before, not on my previous car (Bonneville) but on my Grand Prix before that and I found it to be annoying and after a while, never used it. But for some reason, I'm loving it on the Acadia. I don't know why....maybe being a few years older and lazier than I used to be. ;) It's easier than looking at the dashboard. And I also find that it helps me control my speed better (another sign of old age, I guess :eek:hno: )

Louise :D

#16 ·
Our FWD is 6 days old and built April 07. MSRP was $32,820 with options we wanted. Less to go wrong and was within budget. Wife and I will be retiring in 2 years and she is the one that pointed this vehicle out to me last week. She said the Acadia looks even better than the Lexus she has wanted for the past year. I drive 130 miles per day and have been breaking it in via county roads, through small communities along the way, back on the I system for 10 miles and then off on county road, etc... I broke in my 6cyl, 2006 Stang this same method for a week. Breaking in my wife's new Acadia has been a treat this week. Curves I can take at 60 with my stang, no problem with the Acadia. Passed a semi on county road from 45mph and was up to 80mph to my satisfaction when around and passed semi. Happy with that with only me in the vehicle. Onstar and phone work perfectly. Nice mud and snow tires for Wisconsin weather. This Acadia handles so wonderfully and does respond that both of us are in love with it! Fortunately in our area, we can buy unleaded fuel WITHOUT ethanol that makes the Acadia almost meet the EPA sticker by only 1-2 miles less. Just turned 500 miles today and have check mileage mixed driving and got 23mph today and 24 mph yesterday. I was a bit hard on it today. So...preliminary gas mileage is terrific, measured by filling up in the morning and filling it up in the evening. Next week, the Acadia will be turned over to my wife who is having a hard time keeping my Mustang under control to and from her work. Goes to fast that is. :) I put some Klasse AIO and coat of Klasse sealant this past Sunday and Monday. My cars always shine which I like to show off too! I hope others enjoy their Acadia like we will. In 2 weeks, we will be showing off our Acadia going down to MS, then over to AL, over to GA and then back home to Wisconsin. We can feel the comfort and handling all ready!

#17 ·
teetertotter said:
Our FWD is 6 days old and built April 07. MSRP was $32,820 with options we wanted. Less to go wrong and was within budget. Wife and I will be retiring in 2 years and she is the one that pointed this vehicle out to me last week. She said the Acadia looks even better than the Lexus she has wanted for the past year. I drive 130 miles per day and have been breaking it in via county roads, through small communities along the way, back on the I system for 10 miles and then off on county road, etc... I broke in my 6cyl, 2006 Stang this same method for a week. Breaking in my wife's new Acadia has been a treat this week. Curves I can take at 60 with my stang, no problem with the Acadia. Passed a semi on county road from 45mph and was up to 80mph to my satisfaction when around and passed semi. Happy with that with only me in the vehicle. Onstar and phone work perfectly. Nice mud and snow tires for Wisconsin weather. This Acadia handles so wonderfully and does respond that both of us are in love with it! Fortunately in our area, we can buy unleaded fuel WITHOUT ethanol that makes the Acadia almost meet the EPA sticker by only 1-2 miles less. Just turned 500 miles today and have check mileage mixed driving and got 23mph today and 24 mph yesterday. I was a bit hard on it today. So...preliminary gas mileage is terrific, measured by filling up in the morning and filling it up in the evening. Next week, the Acadia will be turned over to my wife who is having a hard time keeping my Mustang under control to and from her work. Goes to fast that is. :) I put some Klasse AIO and coat of Klasse sealant this past Sunday and Monday. My cars always shine which I like to show off too! I hope others enjoy their Acadia like we will. In 2 weeks, we will be showing off our Acadia going down to MS, then over to AL, over to GA and then back home to Wisconsin. We can feel the comfort and handling all ready!
Don't know where you are headed in Alabama but I would be glad to recommend some great places to dine if you need suggestions............been pretty much all over this great state as a traveling physical therapist.....roll tide.

#18 ·
Carl4, Going to Beau Rivage in Biloxi for 3 nights, up to Anniston, AL, for 3 nites, over to Newnan, GA for 2 nites and back to Janesville, WI. See family/relatives on our usual annual trip. Golfing the whole time too, as usual! Hope to retire around Anniston, in 3 years or have winter place. Should have 2010 Acadia too! Sorry if I got off the topic.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.