GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big fan of how the Acadia doors when opened...swing out and snap into position after a certain point. For me and my wife this is ok, as we are cautious when opening the doors and can control the doors. But on many occations my kids would open the door, and it would snap out, hitting our other car in our garage.

Hopefully over time the door snaps a little less with more usage. Is there a way to adjust this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Totally agree with your thoughts, the indent for the door swing isnt' that strong, and the doors are relatively light to open and close. I've had a few close calls from passengers already.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Rufio said:
I'm not a big fan of how the Acadia doors when opened...swing out and snap into position after a certain point. For me and my wife this is ok, as we are cautious when opening the doors and can control the doors. But on many occations my kids would open the door, and it would snap out, hitting our other car in our garage.

Hopefully over time the door snaps a little less with more usage. Is there a way to adjust this?
I'm not a fan of them either. I opened my driver's side door last week and on top of this snap into position thing, it was quite windy outside. It snapped right into the dang cart corral and put a nice chip in the edge of my door. *sigh*

·
Registered
31 Posts
First week of ownership, opened the passenger front door and it kept opening right into the sideview mirror of my wife's Honda Accord. Nice little ding (dent... no paint damage) just to the left of the door handle. :'( This happened three seconds after lecturing the kids to be careful when opening the doors. Let's just say the Acadia is backed out of the garage before anyone gets into the car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have had that problem too, my boys kick the doors open from inside from their car seats and the doors go flying. I am learning to park in between empty spots in parking lots.

In our garage I am the only one who parks there but the door is close to where the fireplace juts out in the wall. I fixed that by nailing a couple cheap bath mats to the wall so when the boys do hit it they hit the soft carpet and not the wall. It works well for wall side but I don't have a suggestion for another car on the other side. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yep, noticed the same thing. My wife's Envoy on the other hand seems to be a bit better. It stops at the same "first stop point" and then after that it seems to hold its position anywhere you want it to. There seems to be 2 set positions on the Acadia doors...slightly open and wide open. We aren't fortunate enough to have a very large garage, so I need to be extemely careful getting in and out of the Acadia (I back in, while she pulls in). If we don't park far enough to the outside walls of the garage my door will rest up against her side body molding ever so slightly. Never been enough to cause damage, but worries me none the less.

Wings13: There is a product I purchased from http://www.griotsgarage.com that you can mount on the wall to protect your doors. I put one on my wife's side for when she has to get my son out of his car seat. Our garage is exposed cinderblock on the interior and we've taken the paint off the edge of the door enough times without this product. Product number I bought was 92248 (I just happened to have the catalog handy :D) and there is a thicker one which is 36113. They have others for between 2 cars as well, but seemed like it would get annoying if you walk between the cars often (#92326 or 92327). :thumb:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I ordered two 36" lengths of this product to protect my Acadia's doors from my sometimes careless children swinging them into the garage wall. My garage is pretty deep, so I needed enough length to protect against some variability in how far the truck gets pulled into the garage. They're peel and stick, so they were a snap to install.

http://www.diamondlifegear.com/bgwall.html

·
Registered
389 Posts
Interesting idea - bumpers on the wall!!!

What about body colored door edge guards like I have on my Accords? Does GM do this?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'll probably sound like an idiot with this story, but believe it or not, this was a feature I rather liked when I first got my Acadia.

Due to the angle of my driveway at home, the doors on the Impala I traded for the Acadia were NOT very good about staying open when parked. When arriving home one day during a rainstorm, I opened the door and AFTER MAKING SURE IT STAYED, I opened my umbrella and poked my arm out the doorway. I briefly turned my head to grab something out of the cupholder before exiting the car and before I knew what was happening, the door started closing on me and smashed my hand between it and the roofline. It crushed a nerve and I have had periodic episodes of numbness in my ring and pinky fingers as well as pain in the part of my hand that got crunched.

Of course, my initial impression with the Acadia door was good because of my personal experience. I was happy to have a car where the freakin' door STAYS OPEN. Plus, I am one who tends to keep his hand on the handle until the door is open completely anyway, as opposed to "flinging" it open. Plus, I don't have kids with me to worry about.

All that said, I understand why others have issues with the door's design. I'm just making talk :blahblah:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ok, I wil jump in - when we went on our test drive of an Outlook tonight (I mentioned it in a couple other threads...we had to see a factory DVD system and couldn't find an Acadia with one that was close), we brought along a measuring tape to compare door openings to my Accord. And of course I forgot to write these measurements down...just like when I was measuring the height of the headliner - we found that The Outlook opened about 1/2 inch wider than our accord doors. Now, that can be very close to each other or it could be different depending on the depth of bottom of the door frame to top of the door frame, the curve of the doors, the height of the vehicle, the height of the vehicle your kid is about to ding, etc. It was not an exact science - hard to compare apples to apples on such different vehicles and it was raining and our kids were antsy but we found this to be very encouraging that we don't need sliding minivan doors. Also, the doors seemed to stop at a reasonable mid point before they swing all the way out as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What about body colored door edge guards like I have on my Accords? Does GM do this?

I found some clear door edge guards at Benny's (hopefully that's a nationwide store). If not Check Automotive suppy stores.
For Garage issues, Home Depot and Lowes have wall bumpers too. I used fire place hearth gaurds (cheaper) and screwed them onto the wall and the other side of our garage has a sill where the fire place guards work perfectly useing the double sided tape that it comes with.
The Acadia doors are huge! they do come in handy when loading people and boxes though..... I Keep the child locks locked all the time, my 14 Year old is not happy about the extra 3 seconds that she has to wait for me to open it for her, but to bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts