GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon guys, this is my first post, first of all, thanks for letting me be part of this community, secondly, I want to know if anyone has had this done, I have a 2018 Acadia Denali, it has the Bose system with the 8 in radio display, the problem is that after getting it out of the carwash I noticed that they use some kind of liquid that damaged the screen, it still works, but has a lot of "stains" on it that wont go away, they use some kind of cleaner that damaged the coating of the screen, they are offering to get me a display of a junkyard Acadia with the same system and change the one they damaged, but I have read that if the screen is changed then a code would be required to activate the stereo again, and this is only available at the dealer, is this correct? or only if you change the radio would the code be required? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me in the least, as my 04 Z06 had to be coded.
A question; who are they saying will install this?
Personally, I'd tell them you want this done by a reputable shop with experience doing this work. Last thing you need is a car wash employee tearing into your dash. Never mind it may void your warranty on the stereo.
I'd also be sure they prove it's an equal unit (Bose, not base).
Did they say what it was? Looks like Armor All on the dash?

Reactions: Ghuerta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for the reply, it was some kind of desinfectant, with the COVID, they are doing rhis on all cars in the car washes here on Tijuana, but this guys justbleft the liquid on the screen instead of wiping it away, and yes, the removal and install would be done in a shop that I choose and the display part number would have to match the one in my SUV, but I raised the question as I have read somwhere that if the screen is thebonly thing changed and not the radio unit by itself, then rhe system would not require a code, but I cant say that for sure.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Can't answer that part, I would think you are correct... but unsure.

·
Super Moderator
21,140 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the screen with one of those 'special' screen cleaners? Frankly, I've used Windex and paper towels for years to clean the touch screen on my computer and phone, also other LCD devices (TV, desktop monitor, etc.). They still work fine. Why would the touch screen in a car be much different? Sales and marketing pitches?? I just make sure the unit is OFF before I spray anything on it. What would it hurt to try it? Damage to the display is already done and the carwash has agreed to replace it anyway.

Reactions: Ghuerta

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks spelos, already tried that and also some of that stuff used to buff plastic lenses with no luck.

·
Registered
2018 Acadia - Burgundy, 2 Row All Terrain
38 Posts
On many radios that require codes, the code is on a label attached to the radio. There's a good chance it will be on the radio being removed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But on this case is not the radio, only the screen, they are 2 different pieces, I know for a fact taht the radio requires it, but dont know if only the screen do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts