GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to go test-drive an Acadia. I currently have an '04 Toyota Sequoia with a lease due to end in December so I need to figure out what I'm getting next.

I like the Acadia's looks, gas mileage and second row captains chairs but after driving almost full-size SUVs for the past 6 years -- the Sequoia and previously an '02 Yukon, I'm a little concerned that we will miss the cargo capacity and feeling of sitting up high. Also, someone who has an Enclave told me that she doesn't have any cargo space behind the 3rd row seat? Is this true in the Acadia as well? How do you carry stuff when you have 7 passengers?

We have two kids, 10 and 13, and do a fair amount of carpooling and traveling so I've really enjoyed the space of the Sequoia, however, Toyota is supposedly supersizing the new Sequoias and I don't want a Suburban size vehicle. Also, we don't do any towing.

Any thoughts and input from others who have traded in their larger SUVs for the Acadia? I really want to like this vehicle but want to make sure I get what best fits our needs.

Thanks for any advice and feedback!

·
Registered
362 Posts
There is cargo space behind the 3rd row. Not a lot but some. And, supposedly, with 2nd and 3rd row seats down, there is more cargo room than a Yukon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
jfencl said:
There is cargo space behind the 3rd row. Not a lot but some. And, supposedly, with 2nd and 3rd row seats down, there is more cargo room than a Yukon.
Agreed. Having a Yukon in the past, I think you should know full well what it's like to have both a 3rd seat that is uncomfortable even for small people and ZERO cargo room behind it. That's NOT the case with the GM Lambdas (Acadia/Outlook/Enclave). You have real space for 7 or 8 adults, and then still behind the 3rd row, there's room like an extended length minivan.

We're actually about to--at least in a couple of months--go from an '04 Suburban, which is essentially a school bus on wheels, to an Enclave, for the very reasons cited above. Just don't need the excess space anymore, however great, and want something new. Love the new full-size GM SUV's, but the Tahoe/Yukon still have the same awful 3rd row/cargo setup, and lugging seats in and out and having no room ruled those out immediately.

The Lambdas, on the other hand, have the same room--and actually more in spots--in both rear rows than our Suburban, and a very nice cargo space behind the last seat--something few, if any, other crossovers can compare to. If anything, the Enclave is just a tad smaller back there because of the curved outside shape, but seeing all in person, it's a minute difference--so whoever had mentioned something to you about it having no room either was expecting a Suburban or full of it.

LOTS of people are coming from Tahoes, Yukons, Expeditions, Sequoias, etc. now to the Lambda crossovers because they get the same or better room and packaging inside, but "car" mechanicals, a more reasonable pricetag, and fantastic looks and drive quality.

Case in point. It's my mother who drives the Suburban, and having driven one of the first Acadias to show up, and loving it, I had been trying to get her attracted to one for months--but every time she saw a picture, and even once on a dealer lot, kept saying "But it's small." Well, once she finally got to drive a few and look inside, she acknowledged it wasn't the same as her Suburban, but was an easier to manage outside size and the inside was better than something like a Tahoe, by far, and gave a fantastic combo of people & cargo space--all with fold flat seats, too.

Just drive one, or even just play in one, and you'll see.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I started another thread on a similiar topic (comparing usable space in the various full size SUV's (and an Odyssey) to the Acadia. http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2257.msg29248#msg29248)

Check out my numbers below, all from numbers off the various websites - behind 3rd row cargo is all seats up. Behind 2nd row cargo is 3rd row down, 2nd row up.

My personal take aways? Expedition's 3rd row leg room is very generous compared to it's competitors. Sequoia has a surprising amount of cargo volume behind the 3rd row seats (still not a ton) - all others are neck and neck. Neither Yukon or Armada wins a single category. Acadia is best 3 out of 5 categories. If space and size are of the utmost importance, an Odyssey is the obvious winner. But, the Acadia wins the large SUV class.

These are my important numbers. These will impact the way we use a new car day to day.

3rd Row Legroom Behind 3rd row cargo behind 2nd row cargo Overall height Overall length
Expedition 37.70 in 18.60 cu ft 55.00 cu ft 77.20 in 206.50 in
Sequoia 29.80 in 26.60 cu ft 65.30 cu ft 73.00 in 203.90 in
Yukon 25.60 in 16.90 cu ft 60.30 cu ft 76.90 in 202.00 in
Armada 32.20 in 20.00 cu ft 56.70 cu ft 78.00 in 207.70 in
Acadia 33.20 in 19.70 cu ft 68.90 cu ft 69.90 in 200.70 in

Odyssey 41.10 in 38.40 cu ft 91.10 cu ft 68.80 in 201.00 in

·
Registered
83 Posts
I really like the looks of the current generation Tahoe, but gas mileage and having to haul the third row around, whenever I needed the load floor, was a deal killer. I know the Fords have fold-flat seats, but having rented an Expedition several times before, it just didn't feel right to me, and I really, really dislike what they've done to the styling of the front end, it's like some sort of chrome-plated plastic snowplow, lol. The Acadia was the only one that fit the bill for me, and I looked for over a year before making my decision. I don't regret it. The vehicle isn't perfect, but none ever are. I love the styling, inside and out. The highway mileage is everything it was supposed to be, and the highway ride is as good as any vehicle I've ever owned ... quite the ride for road trips and vacationing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I agree with everything above. The 2nd and 3rd row accomodations are top notch. The access to the 3rd row is also very easy the way the 2nd row seats articulate out of the way. More room, more comfortable seating, better handling, better fuel economy, better fit and finish (in my opinion), and cheaper to boot. GM has finally hit a home run! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I agree on the real roominess and the 3rd row seating comfort in the Acadia. One day last week while my brother-in-law from AL was visiting us for 4 days, he had to sit in the 3rd row. I asked him if it seemed comfortable after driving for about 15 minutes in town and after we had encountered some bumpiness in the road. He said he was comfortable in the 3rd row. It is so easy to get the 3rd row up and down when required too! nuf said

·
Registered
403 Posts
I believe there are several Yukon related postings on here...I've put some one as a prior Yukon owner. I'm quite happy with the Acadia. (Except for my lumbar seat issue.) Third row rocks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I took a 5 hour trip with my wife, 2 month old son (in his car seat), mother-in-law, and grandmother in our Acadia. We had one of the third row seats down but all the other seats were full. We had luggage for all the adults plus a travel crib, stroller and small hand luggage. Everyone was comfortable.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
There is a small segment of the market that will continue to buy the BIG SUV. By 2010, the Tahoe's and the like will be no more, the thing of the past. Gas will probably be well over $4.00 a gallon. IMO/Prediction

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Well, I agree that the full size SUV market will continue to lose ground to this new breed of full size CUV, but 2010 is only 2 years away. They'll still be viable at that time. They very well may be an insignificant niche by 2015 though...

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you go from a Yukon to an Acadia, they even let you keep your Man Card. :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, for the record, being a BaseballMOM, I never had a man card in the first place!!! ;D

Thanks to everyone for the input on cargo/third row space in the Acadia compared to a Sequoia or Yukon.

The actual measurements were very interesting to see as well.

Now, I guess I just have to see if there are any Acadias around to test drive and can we even get any kind of a deal with the strike going on now......if the inventory is low, then does it stand to reason that dealers will be getting close to sticker on these? I got a $2000 off GMC flyer mailed to me but it expires Sept. 29. I was hoping they would come out with another incentive by the time I'm ready to buy in late November(I was also thinking that there would be more Acadias on the lot with the mortgage mess keeping people from buying new cars) but maybe we should have bit the bullet earlier....

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's a new vehicle and they are selling off the lots. Don't expect many incentives on them. I think these are going to be the next minivans.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, we went to the GMC dealer with the intention of test driving an Acadia today -- except it was pouring down buckets of rain so I wasn't in the mood to test drive. We sat in a loaded one with the salesperson as he described some different features especially the navigation and backup camera. We also checked out the second row captains chairs, third row seat and cargo capacity.

My initial impressions: The front seat space definitely felt narrower than my Sequoia. Hubby thought the captains chairs wouldn't be that comfortable for a long trip and he expected them to be bigger (like the front seats of the Sequoia, I guess). I thought the third row was okay. The fold-flat feature of the second and third row is a great feature.

Coming from the perspective of a Toyota and sitting higher up, it's difficult to envision downsizing. There were 4 on Acadias on the lot and the salesmen said they "can't keep them on the lot -- they're selling like hotcakes." He also said that most of them that they get in come with navigation and DVD. I'm not sure how necessary navigation is for us -- nice but not sure I want to have to mess with it. My kids are 10 and 13 so they might like the DVD although we've never had one.

Maybe a test drive would have sold us on the vehicle so we'll definitely go back and take it for a spin. Our intial impression is that for $42,000 or what ever the sticker price would be on these loaded vehicles, we didn't think it seemed like something that would cost $10,000 more than what we leased our '04 Sequoia for (we negotiated a price of around $32,000 which the lease was based on). We obviously didn't talk numbers with the salesman but my impression is that they won't be doing a lot of dealing on these....

So our big decision is whether we like the Acadia enough to pay close to sticker, lease an '07 Sequoia or wait for the '08 Sequoia to come out -- who knows when and I'm almost sure it will be too big for our needs....

I'm also interested in the new Pilot but who knows when that is coming out?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, good for you to know. Coming from a Suburban, it seemed a little small to us, until we realized how big it really still was vs. wanting to downsize.

As for the new Pilot, it's coming as an '09, and size-wise should be similar to the current--i.e. more cramped and shorter than the GM Lambdas, and based on recent Hondas, very odd looking and with occasional quality issues.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-pilot-prototype.html

And also the new Seqouia, which is supposed to be an '08, but going to be late. Here's several links:

http://www.newsik.net/cars/toyota/sequoia/

And one with video:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/GeneralFuture/articleId=122007

One of these might actually be again very attractive to you...now with independent rear suspension, new powertrains, power fold flat 3rd row, etc. At least, if you still want a full-size "truck", that is. The PROBLEM is, the earliest ones won't be available until early next year.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I say still consider the Acadia (or the Outlook, Enclave), because if the crossover idea is attractive, you won't find any that are larger and better equipped. Also, like I said, I thought they were very large, but still seemed a tad cramped compared to the Suburban I'm used to, but after several drives and playing with them, they now seem perfect for us who want to keep the 7-8 passenger space and cargo room, BUT not drive a school bus.

Plus, options and price wise, not all are in the $40k+ range, and if you don't want various things like Nav, etc., mid to even low $30k's is very possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts