GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

For some reason I just found out about the Acadia last week and from the research I have been doing on it so far it looks like it would be a perfect fit for me. I would be moving up from a 2003 Ford Explorer and I need more room (two kids in car seats and more room for equipment for work), better gas mileage, and soon a new vehicle. I had been planning on a new Yukon or Tahoe because I need the size and I like the looks.

After finding out about the Acadia it seemed like the perfect vehicle for me - better mileage, more size and room but drove a little smaller than a Yukon or Tahoe, easier access for the kids to rear, cheaper, ect..

But the only thing I think may be a deal beaker is that I would not have 4x4 cabability. From what I have read I dont think driving on or in snow is going to be a problem. My job as a photojournalist puts me on the road during all types of storms and conditions while others are able to watch a storm on The Weather Channel. My issue is driving on the beach in sand.

I live on Long Island, NY and drive on the beach at least a few times a year, for personal and job related reasons, and I am not sure about what kind of success I would have doing that with the Acadia.

Has anyone gone from driving a 4x4 to the Acadia AWD, or any AWD and had the guts to compare its abilities while driving on the beach?[/color] Anyone been through any mud yet?

Unfortunately I am guessing that I will be dissapointed by your answers. I have a feeling AWD on the beach may be deal breaker.

Maybe the Chevy Lambda will be 4x4 ;D

Thanks in advance for your time.

gg

·
Registered
43 Posts
I currently have an AWD Denali...we have taken it very where that my friends with 4x4 hve gone. the AWD did great in both the sand and snow...I would suggest lowering your tire presure prior to going in the sand, and the AWD should do fine. If not you will have On-Star and roadside assistance..

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just saw an Acadia parked in Sears parking lot this evening and noticed the front bumber is kind very low to the ground, it probably has only 6 inches clearance. I dont know if you could much off roading with that kind of ground clearance.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not sure if this relates, but my last car before the Acadia was an AWD 97 Ford Aerostar. I did a lot of driving in the High Sierras in CA. Went up some really sandy slopes and across riverbeds. Never had a problem. Just kept it rolling. While I had upgraded my tires to 16 inch, I'm sure the 18 or 19 inch Acadia's will work even better. I would buy an electric tire pressure pump so you could easily change tire pressure down, and then back up for the trip home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts