GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. I have a 2017 Acadia SLT and my ac is hissing and not as cool as it used to be. I have very basic car knowledge, but I can assume I need some Freon. Instead of doing it myself I took it to my mechanic who mentioned they were unable to complete the recharge due to a specific type of machine being required along with a new type of Freon. I have no clue if this is true and couldn’t find anything about it on the web. I then bought the do it at home recharge can and can’t locate the low pressure valve for the life of me! Again, can’t find anything of use on the web! In short,

-is this whole new Freon/machine thing true?
-can I recharge it myself?
-where is the low pressure valve???

something so simple has turned into such a hassle. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
21,965 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It appears auto makers made a switch to R1234yf refrigerant in their A/C systems sometime about 2016. Maybe your mechanic isn't equipped to handle it. Hopefully, you bought the correct product. This refrigerant isn't compatible with R134a.

Good diagrams for most anything on the new Acadia C1XX platform are seriously lacking. You can get an idea about what the suction hose looks like and where the valve is located by searching for the part on a GM parts site. After assuring you have the correct product and finding the valve, you'll know whether or not you want to tackle the job yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.
It appears auto makers made a switch to R1234yf refrigerant in their A/C systems sometime about 2016. Maybe your mechanic isn't equipped to handle it. Hopefully, you bought the correct product. This refrigerant isn't compatible with R134a.

Good diagrams for most anything on the new Acadia C1XX platform are seriously lacking. You can get an idea about what the suction hose looks like and where the valve is located by searching for the part on a GM parts site. After assuring you have the correct product and finding the valve, you'll know whether or not you want to tackle the job yourself.
Thanks for the help! I definitely didn’t get the right Freon, so I will start there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not really... an AC unit shall not loose freon, if that is the case you may have a leak. The dealer can fill it up and put a dye to identify the location the leak.

you shall never loose freon or coolant or brake fluid - all closed circuits that do not evaporate or get consumed!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
If the AC is hissing, I would suspect a leak. Need to check and fix any leaks before wasting time and money on a recharge.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Definitely buy a can with dye in it. Run it for a while and use a black light flashlight to look for leaks.

The compressor is by the alternator, so if you can find that, you can follow the lines from there to locate the port.

I can tell you that on the 2015, the charge port is tucked down pretty far in the front, but you can reach it from up top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, indeed, not all freons are suitable for all cars. Perhaps you need a special freon, or rather just the right one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts