GMC Acadia Forum banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems I hit some nerves out there. Are you GM engineers? I am only telling you what I was told. As far as the coolant that all was suppose to have been checked and rechecked. The duct lines were also checked. As far as it freezing I am just passing along info from I was told . Two different stories. I am not impressed with this machine nor the response I have gotten from GM. AS far as the Engineers goes well the dealer sends a report to GM an it is in the report that this is normal operation for the Acadia and Traverse per their Engineers. The last words in the report state " Working to Manufactures Specifications". I questioned GM on how they sell these in the south but got no response.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
wolfer99 said:
Are you GM engineers?...I questioned GM on how they sell these in the south but got no response.
No, I am not a GM Engineer, but I own one of these vehicles and don't have any problem with my A/C working properly with temps over 100 deg and enough humidity to push the heat index to 115 deg. We've never had a problem with it. Their claim of normal operation is bunk, your system is not operating as it should.

And they sell them in the South because the A/C system apparently was designed with enough capacity to cool a vehicle of this size, based on the experiences of owners here. Those having A/C issues have had a problem such as a low coolant charge or plugged condensation drains, not because of an improperly designed system.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
GeoHawk said:
Those having A/C issues have had a problem such as a low coolant charge or plugged condensation drains, not because of an improperly designed system.
Currently mine has a "no coolant" charge. :p

I agree though, when it was working, it kicked butt at cooling the entire vehicle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well I am currently on my first "long" trip since GM Customer service and the local dealership "fixed" my AC issue (as seen a few times in this thread) and 2 hours into the trip, I have no FLOW out of the front AC vents-shut the AC off for 10 minutes and working fine again, I guess their cowl leak fix was not the issue.

Already called the dealer and scheduled an appt for next Tuesday when I get back home. Wonder what is really causing this? I think the system is freezing up, and temporarliy clogging the ac drains and the water is dripping into the blower fan area, but hey, I am not a GM tech. But they obviously don't know either.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Sounds like an A/C issue and blower issue; let us know what they come up with this time

·
Registered
124 Posts
Happy,

On page 2 of this thread and possibly page 1, I explained my issue with our A/C. Our problems sound exactly the same. Since my "idle" post on page 2 in June the A/C has worked great. The dealer repair ticket just says "cannot duplicate complaint". We have taken 3 long road trips over the Summer and the A/C has cooled the +95 degree air just fine. We tend to push the Recycle button when we are on the long trips. My gut feeling is that your freon charge needs to be tweaked (up or down). I have a gauge and could give you a pressure reading when I get home.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My A/C has been the biggest problem I have had with the vehicle. We live is a very hot, wet climate and the A/C is in use year round. Mine is a very early one, built Nov. 2006. On delivery, the rear A/C did not work at all. it just recirculated warm air. I took it back to the selling dealership within a few weeks and was told that it was "working normally", that the rear A/C is designed to be a supplemental system and is not supposed to be as cold as the front. I have never been back to that dealer- if their technicians do not understand that the concept of A/C is to make COLD air, then I didn't have much faith in their technical competance. (I also sent a very negative customer comment card to GM saying I would never go back there, which was followed by phone calls from GM asking about the problem but my only response is that they were apparently idiots. The five year old kid standing next to me understood what A/C is supposed to do but apparently this was too difficult a concept for the service tech.) I went to dealer 2, explained what happened at dealer 1 and was told "if you have a problem with it, it, take it back to dealer 1". Scratch another dealer off the list. I then took it too dealer 3, who did understand and replaced the rear TXV and evaporator. It worked Ok for a while, then went out again. They replaced the A/C control module and it worked pretty well (still not as cold as the front) for a couple years. A few weeks ago, it went out again due to a low charge. they didn't find any leaks. Two weeks later, it went out again but it was due to a bad coolant pump and the computer shut off the A/C to keep the engine from overheating. It went out again a few days ago and I just picked it up this morning. This time it was a leaky compressor discharge hose and low charge. Fortunately, I have the GM extended warranty. Todays charge would have been $468. Overall, I am still happy with the vehicle and it has been relatively problem free- with the exception of the A/C.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
jseck2 said:
My A/C has been the biggest problem I have had with the vehicle. We live is a very hot, wet climate and the A/C is in use year round. Mine is a very early one, built Nov. 2006. On delivery, the rear A/C did not work at all. it just recirculated warm air. I took it back to the selling dealership within a few weeks and was told that it was "working normally", that the rear A/C is designed to be a supplemental system and is not supposed to be as cold as the front. I have never been back to that dealer- if their technicians do not understand that the concept of A/C is to make COLD air, then I didn't have much faith in their technical competance. (I also sent a very negative customer comment card to GM saying I would never go back there, which was followed by phone calls from GM asking about the problem but my only response is that they were apparently idiots. The five year old kid standing next to me understood what A/C is supposed to do but apparently this was too difficult a concept for the service tech.) I went to dealer 2, explained what happened at dealer 1 and was told "if you have a problem with it, it, take it back to dealer 1". Scratch another dealer off the list. I then took it too dealer 3, who did understand and replaced the rear TXV and evaporator. It worked Ok for a while, then went out again. They replaced the A/C control module and it worked pretty well (still not as cold as the front) for a couple years. A few weeks ago, it went out again due to a low charge. they didn't find any leaks. Two weeks later, it went out again but it was due to a bad coolant pump and the computer shut off the A/C to keep the engine from overheating. It went out again a few days ago and I just picked it up this morning. This time it was a leaky compressor discharge hose and low charge. Fortunately, I have the GM extended warranty. Todays charge would have been $468. Overall, I am still happy with the vehicle and it has been relatively problem free- with the exception of the A/C.
Frustrating especially for you in Texas. Our AC has been great for a third consecutive summer and this summer in the NE has felt like Texas. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
*UPDATE*

Please note that my vehicle was NOT fixed, just drove from Chicago to TN and had to keep turning the ac on and off because the problem is back. Funny thing is I never shut the blower off, just the ac, and within 30 sec of shutting the ac down, the blower started working again (kinda blows my dealerships idea that the blower was overheating becasue of water contamination). Almost seemed like the ac system was freezing, and shutting it down for a few minutes allowed it to thaw. Or I heard the possibility of a pressure switch not functioning not allowing the ac to cycle on and off, thus continuously running until frozen--got an appointment at the dealer again in 2 days and I will update.

Another weird thing was even though I was driving through mountains, the trans did not seem to want to shift to a higher gear, even when going down hill, (I even tried doing it manually) Was turning 3K RPM up or down with cruise on. Makes me think the compressor was running the entire time and not shutting off. Because after I stopped for an hour, the next hill I was able to drop the RPM's to about 1500 going down hill (coasting).

Acadia is heading back to the dealer on Thursday, and I made another call to GMC customer service, this is just getting to be a pain in my arse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
happy29 said:
*UPDATE*

Please note that my vehicle was NOT fixed, just drove from Chicago to TN and had to keep turning the ac on and off because the problem is back. Funny thing is I never shut the blower off, just the ac, and within 30 sec of shutting the ac down, the blower started working again (kinda blows my dealerships idea that the blower was overheating becasue of water contamination). Almost seemed like the ac system was freezing, and shutting it down for a few minutes allowed it to thaw. Or I heard the possibility of a pressure switch not functioning not allowing the ac to cycle on and off, thus continuously running until frozen--got an appointment at the dealer again in 2 days and I will update.

Another weird thing was even though I was driving through mountains, the trans did not seem to want to shift to a higher gear, even when going down hill, (I even tried doing it manually) Was turning 3K RPM up or down with cruise on. Makes me think the compressor was running the entire time and not shutting off. Because after I stopped for an hour, the next hill I was able to drop the RPM's to about 1500 going down hill (coasting).

Acadia is heading back to the dealer on Thursday, and I made another call to GMC customer service, this is just getting to be a pain in my arse.
As I posted earlier, ours had the same problem and they reprogrammed the HVAC controller. No problems since then. BTW, I checked the blower motor for signs of water and there is none.

·
Registered
143 Posts
94TAGT said:
As I posted earlier, ours had the same problem and they reprogrammed the HVAC controller. No problems since then. BTW, I checked the blower motor for signs of water and there is none.
I had water in the blower motor again. They "resealed" the cowl again, he says the water is causing the motor to overheat, but I argued it had to do with the AC. Here is why--When it acts up, I have not started just turning off the AC not the entire HVAC system, leaving the blower motor on, within 30 seconds the blower starts blowing again. Now if it was overheating, it would not restart until the blower motor was shut off and allowed to cool.

Personally I think the AC is not cycling off, thus running until the system freezes, and by manuallly shutting the AC of it allows the ice build up to thaw, allowing the system to work again. I think the evap is freezing not allowing airflow to the blower motors (thus reduced flow out of the vents) and the water is from the evap under the dash thawing out.

But hey apparently I don't know anything because I am not a GM Cert tech.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this. I have searched and couldn't find a fix.

- 09 Acadia SLT1 with 111,000 kms (extended warranty till 120,000 only - but its the TriCare not GMPP)
- My blower continues to blow however the air isnt making it through the vents after a sustained (> 2 hour drive)
- Turning off the AC and waiting a bit then turning it back on seems to fix the issue
- Turning up the fan speed has no effect on the amount of air coming out of the vents when this happens
- No evidence of moisture in the blower housing
- No issues in day to day driving just on long trips
- When trying to turn the AC back on if I do it too fast the light blinks 3 times. I took a video of this to show the dealer. Not sure if that will help me.

Any help would be great. I have a warranty on it but I am sure they wont be able to replicate the issue.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Your refrigerant gas is probably low...........

·
Registered
3 Posts
robindcs said:
Your refrigerant gas is probably low...........
I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a defect (ie covered under warranty normally) or is this considered normal operation if the refrigerant is low ? I ask as I have had over 10 vehicles (7 GMs --> wife's father is a 35 year GM man so since I got married only GM !!!) over the past 20 years of driving and not one (yes, not one) has ever needed a refrigerant top up. The only problem I have experienced with GM AC is that the compressor clutch tends to go out around the 10 year mark. I have only made it to 10 years on 3 of these cars, and all three were at 300K kms or more. The rest tended to be on average 200K kms so I have driven them quite a bit and never a refrigerant leak so I am wondering if I can ask the warranty company to cover this if it is the problem.

Many thanks for your all your help and opinions on this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Vina,

Try this link: http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=11158.msg185421#msg185421 I had the exact same problem you did. If no air is coming out of the vents after a long drive, pull over and open the hood. What you will find is the A/C lines frozen solid. The engine heat will melt the ice and solve the problem for about a 1/2 hour. Read the entire length (2 pages) for a solution (at least last year). We have not taken any road trips yet so I cannot speak for the summer of 2013.

·
Registered
29 Posts
vinaymal said:
I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this. I have searched and couldn't find a fix.

- 09 Acadia SLT1 with 111,000 kms (extended warranty till 120,000 only - but its the TriCare not GMPP)
- My blower continues to blow however the air isnt making it through the vents after a sustained (> 2 hour drive)
- Turning off the AC and waiting a bit then turning it back on seems to fix the issue
- Turning up the fan speed has no effect on the amount of air coming out of the vents when this happens
- No evidence of moisture in the blower housing
- No issues in day to day driving just on long trips
- When trying to turn the AC back on if I do it too fast the light blinks 3 times. I took a video of this to show the dealer. Not sure if that will help me.

Any help would be great. I have a warranty on it but I am sure they wont be able to replicate the issue.
Do you have the accessory rear A/C in your car? Does it blow cold air?
Have you had a set of gauges on your A/C lines to check pressures and cycling?
You could have the same issue I had. Rear A/C Expansion valve went out, was stuck open, flooding the system, making it run compressor continuously, and the front evaporator would freeze over. I'm not positive yet that I've fixed it, but fairly certain that's the issue. Need it to warm back up so I can check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any suggestions as to how to get the reimbursement from GM for $500+ ac line replacement. This is by far the worst vehicle out of the last 50 vehicles I have owned. I tried to charge it when it started hissing 800 miles ago but there was plenty of pressure. Today I had it evacuated and was told that there was a leak in the discharge hose. $90 for the part plus labor at the stealership. Of course, 90,000 miles wont allow GM to cover it under powertrain warranty. I have had problems with this vehicle since May 2011 after 2 months of driving. liftgate struts replacement, tires wear out every 50k miles, noisy power steering, seats like garbage. Bob Howard in OKC service is pathetic.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
lemonowner9 said:
liftgate struts replacement, tires wear out every 50k miles, noisy power steering, seats like garbage. Bob Howard in OKC service is pathetic.
Unless you've had a lot of other problems... I don't see how you can consider this vehicle a lemon.

1) Liftgate struts are a weak item, I've had them replaced a couple of times, but it is a cheap and easy fix... hardly lemon worthy

2) Tires last for 50,000 miles!!! That is about 25,000 miles longer then I would EVER want to ride on any tire.... purchase crabby and harder tires if you want longer life, just don't expect a nice ride or good performance. The best tires last the least time, the worst tires last nearly forever. Can't blame a vehicle for tire life, that is like blaming a foot for shoe wear.

3) Noisy power steering, have you had anything replaced? Only one of my Acadia's developed noisy power steering, and the rack was replaced under warranty. If not under warranty, it is a little expensive and I wouldn't like to pay for it myself, but again... hardly lemon worthy, just annoying.

4) Garbage Seats? That is subjective, but I would say I've had better and I've had worse. The seats are something you could have tested prior to purchase.

5) 90,000 miles and the air conditioning has a problem, and it is a simple fix... 90,000 miles!

121 - 140 of 144 Posts