GMC Acadia Forum banner
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ok, called the dealer-Explained the issue, says he thinks there may be a restriction and that the blower motor is possibly feeling with water again, then after it drains 15-30 minutes of ac being off, the restriction is gone.

So I made the appt for a week from today, and they have a few things they can look for I guess. I am not going to be overly optomistic, but I gotta do something to get this fixed.

Will let everyone know if they find anything.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
happy29 said:
Ok, called the dealer-Explained the issue, says he thinks there may be a restriction and that the blower motor is possibly feeling with water again, then after it drains 15-30 minutes of ac being off, the restriction is gone.

So I made the appt for a week from today, and they have a few things they can look for I guess. I am not going to be overly optomistic, but I gotta do something to get this fixed.

Will let everyone know if they find anything.
You can drop the blower motor housing in the passenger footwell if you want to know for sure, sounds like a good explanation from the dealer. Someone mentioned drilling a small hole in the bottom of the housing to allow water to drain; this would at least keep the blower motor from shutting down

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up my 2011 Acadia on 07/23/10 and had it for 2 1/2 hrs. Mist starting coming out of the AC vents. Took to a GMC dealer and they said the AC drain hole was probably plugged. But since It was undercoated at the dealer I purchased it from. If it was plugged from the rustproofing I would have to pay to have it repaired. The problem was they didn't know where the drain came out of the vehicle and they would have to tear up the carpet to see exactly where it came out of the car. They knew it was someplace behind the passenger seat. I took the car and returned it to the dealer I purchased it from. Before leaving I informed the head of the service department that I wasn't a mechanic but my best idea for fixing the problem would to be to go outside and find a new one that did drain and see where it came out of that car. I was willing to bet mine would be in the same place. The dealer I bought it from still has it and is trying to find the problem. It is now 07/28/10. They did give me a brand new Tahoe to drive until they can find the problem.

·
Super Moderator
23,688 Posts
wolfer99 said:
Picked up my 2011 Acadia on 07/23/10 and had it for 2 1/2 hrs. Mist starting coming out of the AC vents. Took to a GMC dealer and they said the AC drain hole was probably plugged. But since It was undercoated at the dealer I purchased it from. If it was plugged from the rustproofing I would have to pay to have it repaired. The problem was they didn't know where the drain came out of the vehicle and they would have to tear up the carpet to see exactly where it came out of the car. They knew it was someplace behind the passenger seat. I took the car and returned it to the dealer I purchased it from. Before leaving I informed the head of the service department that I wasn't a mechanic but my best idea for fixing the problem would to be to go outside and find a new one that did drain and see where it came out of that car. I was willing to bet mine would be in the same place. The dealer I bought it from still has it and is trying to find the problem. It is now 07/28/10. They did give me a brand new Tahoe to drive until they can find the problem.
something seems amiss here! Did your dealer sell you the rust-proofing? If so, they should be responsible for repairing what they plugged. Are you going to pay for rental of the Tahoe? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The dealer doesn't know where the A/C drain line is :facepalm: you can read about it here and take to them to help them fix it; at their cost not yours ;D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just got my Acadia back from the dealership--Here is what they found---A cowl leak/they had a tsb about sealing a seam, that allows water to drain into the blower motor and pool up in the blower motor cover. And that caused my 2nd blower motor to corrode and rust within 3 weeks, and I guess when the connections get corroded it creates enough resistance that over a 2 hour drive the blower motors heats up enough that it shuts itself down. Which is what was causing the reduced/blocked airflow through the front vents.

Fix--Seal the seam under the cowl, replace the blower motor, and test for leaks around the cowl. I have over 70K miles on my 08 Acadia, and much to my surprise they warrantied both the blower motor and sealing the seam. Not sure if my call to GM customer care made a difference on this or not, but I did get a case number. I won't know if it truly is fixed until my next long trip, but it sure seems they knew what they were talking about his time.

Too bad the last 2 service advisors I discussed this with were not more up to date on this fix, but I finally found one that was willing to look around a little and attempt to fix my issue.

Hopefully, this is cased closed on this issue.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Glad to hear :thumb: and thanks for posting; fingers crossed on the good fix

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
happy29 said:
Too bad the last 2 service advisors I discussed this with were not more up to date on this fix, but I finally found one that was willing to look around a little and attempt to fix my issue.
Yeah, nothing like a couple of service "experts" that can't find a document that's been out for 2 1/2 years directly relating to this problem:

#PIT4569: Blower Motor Is Inoperative - keywords corrosion IP leak rust water wet - (Jan 29, 2008)

Subject: Blower Motor Is Inoperative
Models: 2008 Buick Enclave
2007-2008 GMC Acadia
2007-2008 Saturn Outlook
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
On rare occasions the customer may comment that the blower motor is inoperative and may have signs of water intrusion on the motor like rust or corrosion. If rust or corrosion is found on the blower motor, Check for a water leak from the cowl area.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Follow the instructions below to check for missing seam sealer in the cowl area.

Remove the Air Inlet Grille Panel (see picture above). Follow SI instructions for Air Inlet Grille Panel Replacement.

On the passenger side of the vehicle put a hose on the seams shown in the above pictures. Be careful not to let water run over the opening for HVAC fresh air intake.
If a leak is found at one of the body seams, use a seam sealer to repair the leak.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So I just came back from a 13 hours road trip and the A/C stopped comming out of any vent. The rear A/C worked flawless and that was our only air for 2 hours until we stopped for a dealer service. The blower motor was running but no air would come out of the vents, defroster, or floor. In the middle of the tech looking at the car it started to work. So he reflashed the HVAC control module and it has been fine ever since. I even pulled over and turned the car off for about 5 minutes to see if it would reset. Gremlins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
94TAGT said:
So I just came back from a 13 hours road trip and the A/C stopped comming out of any vent. The rear A/C worked flawless and that was our only air for 2 hours until we stopped for a dealer service. The blower motor was running but no air would come out of the vents, defroster, or floor. In the middle of the tech looking at the car it started to work. So he reflashed the HVAC control module and it has been fine ever since. I even pulled over and turned the car off for about 5 minutes to see if it would reset. Gremlins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Interesting

·
Registered
143 Posts
94TAGT said:
Same exact issue I had, except they found water and corrosion on the blower motor---I am willing to bet the Next 2 hour plus road trip you have the issue comes back, apparently the corrosion CAN cause enough resistance to let the blower motor overheat after some time, which is why after stopping the vehicle for about 10 minutes and restarting allows the motor to cool enough to have it funtion properly again for a while.

Luckily my dealer did an out of warranty good will replacement for me on mine as I have over 70K miles on it now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
happy29 said:
Same exact issue I had, except they found water and corrosion on the blower motor---I am willing to bet the Next 2 hour plus road trip you have the issue comes back, apparently the corrosion CAN cause enough resistance to let the blower motor overheat after some time, which is why after stopping the vehicle for about 10 minutes and restarting allows the motor to cool enough to have it funtion properly again for a while.

Luckily my dealer did an out of warranty good will replacement for me on mine as I have over 70K miles on it now.
That road trip was 13 hours total! It stopped working after the first 4 hours and we had no air for 2 hours until we stopped to get it fixed. The last 7 hours went without a hitch. The 13 straight hour return trip was fine too. We are moving to Colorado tomorrow so we will see how that goes. That will be two 12 hour days in a row. Remember, the blower was blowing but the blending doors would not work in suituation so no air came out at all. You could hear the motor going slow or fast depending on what speed you picked. The tech thinks there was a glitch in the software which is why he reflashed it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
143 Posts
94TAGT said:
That road trip was 13 hours total! It stopped working after the first 4 hours and we had no air for 2 hours until we stopped to get it fixed. The last 7 hours went without a hitch. The 13 straight hour return trip was fine too. We are moving to Colorado tomorrow so we will see how that goes. That will be two 12 hour days in a row. Remember, the blower was blowing but the blending doors would not work in suituation so no air came out at all. You could hear the motor going slow or fast depending on what speed you picked. The tech thinks there was a glitch in the software which is why he reflashed it. Time will tell.
Many of us experience the same issue, with the exception that the blower speed goes low and stays there regardless of how fast you turn up the blower speed. SO maybe your situation was different. All I can reco is if it happens again to pull the cover of the blower motor (under glove box) and inspect for water damage. (2 pushpins and a tug is all it takes) Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have wife's apart at the shop for wet passenger and drive's floor,(carpet underlay soaked). Found blower motor shroud full of water. Removed motor and water inside HVAC box. Went to driver's side and located A/C drain, when chk'd it was plugged which would cause a build up of water inside the HVAC box which would then leak into the blower motor and also out the connection of the drain hose to HVAC box. Have no sunroof to contend with, so followed a couple TSB's related to water entering from under the cowl due to unseal seams, but remained dry. Will pressure wash with carpet lifted and re-evaluate, with any luck it will remain dry and the issue resolved. Will keep posted, should be dry enough for reassembly tomorrow, that foam underlay retains and incredible amount of moisture and does not like to surrender it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The return of my car after 13 days and the engineers from GMC have determined it is the nature of the beast. Great answer. The drain was not plugged. What they are trying to tell me is the AC is working so good it is freezing and stopping it from draining thus the mist through the vents. I have talked to some other engineers (not from GMC) and they think the problem is the AC unit is too small for the vehicle thus it is overworking and causing it to freeze. Took it out yesterday 07-09-10 for approx. 1/2 hour and had it misting again. It was humid but this is no excuse for a $38000 car not to work. Was told if I back off 2 notches on the temp. it should work fine. I have contacted GM about this and have informed them I am not happy or satisfied with their answers. p.s. Got the payment book before the car.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
wolfer99 said:
The return of my car after 13 days and the engineers from GMC have determined it is the nature of the beast. Great answer. The drain was not plugged. What they are trying to tell me is the AC is working so good it is freezing and stopping it from draining thus the mist through the vents. I have talked to some other engineers (not from GMC) and they think the problem is the AC unit is too small for the vehicle thus it is overworking and causing it to freeze. Took it out yesterday 07-09-10 for approx. 1/2 hour and had it misting again. It was humid but this is no excuse for a $38000 car not to work. Was told if I back off 2 notches on the temp. it should work fine. I have contacted GM about this and have informed them I am not happy or satisfied with their answers. p.s. Got the payment book before the car.
This sounds like two lbs of bologna stuffed into a one lb bag = full of bologna. The issue would be so much more widespread if this were true.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
There are some Lambda vehicles in Saudi Arabia. I don't remember what forum this was, but the A/C worked, but not adequately enough (no misting though).

My only suggestion would be to use the recirculate button instead of the outside air being cooled. This should help take some work off the A/C system.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Saying the "a/c is working so well it is freezing the coil" is definitely a "load of bologna"! I can guarantee you that didn't come from "GM Engineers"....I don't care WHAT your dealer told you. There are TWO things that can cause a coil to freeze over: 1) Refrigerant charge too low and 2) airflow across coil too low. Since this is a "new" car, the possible cause of dirt or some other restriction causing the airflow to be too low is probably slim, HOWEVER there could be SOMETHING that fell into the ductwork (insulation, padding, etc) that is blocking it OR the refrigerant charge is too low. There is NOTHING else that could cause the coil to freeze up. And the other "engineers'" statements that the A/C is "too small" for the vehicle is DOUBLE bologna! We have been having temps in the low to mid 100s here in Alabama for WEEKS and with humidity levels of 60% and higher and I have had NO issues with cooling either our Enclave or Acadia properly.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
All this bologna talk is making me hungry :poke:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
AA/78U said:
All this bologna talk is making me hungry :poke:
How about some cheese to compliment the bologna. This summer has been one of the hottest in memory here in the NE and our AC has not yet stumbled. One bologna and american cheese hero to go please.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts