GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time today, I was actually worried that the AC on my Acadia might be on the blink. It was about 92 degrees out today and the air just wouldn't get cool for anything. Usually, within minutes of starting and driving, the interior of my Acadia is cool and comfy. Today I drove all the way to my brother's (about 15 minutes) and it was barely starting to cool down. I thought "Great, I really really don't need this right now!" But then later tonight, after the sun went down and it was about 80 something outside, the AC was back to it's normal self. In three years, this is the first time this has ever happened and I know we've had 90 degree days before.

Anyone else have issues with how quickly their AC cools the vehicle down in the summer and at what temps do you tend to have these issues? Do these AC systems ever need to be recharged?

(wasn't sure where to put this post... so general tech it is!)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:
Do these AC systems ever need to be recharged?
Yes the A/C system does need to be recharged; is your area experiencing high humidity? Did you have the system on recirculation or were you using outside air for A/C?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, no humidity problems. It was just blowing warm, dry air for most of that 15 minute drive. It finally started to cool and act normally by the time I got there. Then later in the evening, it worked just fine.

I typically use the front and floor vents, with recirculation, when the AC is on.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
FWIW; I would say have the system checked...............

I know this may sound strange, but have you had your engine removed for anything??

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
FWIW; I would say have the system checked...............

I know this may sound strange, but have you had your engine removed for anything??
Yep, you don't remember? I'm surprised! My timing chain went kaput. They removed the engine and when they put it back in, didn't tighten it all the way. I felt the thing shifting around in there when I'd accelerate and they tried to tell me something was wrong with the struts, that it couldn't possibly be the engine loose. I told that that we had opened the hood and stepped on the gas while in park, you could see the engine move! Not only that, they jacked up the plastic part along the front of the engine compartment, glued it back together and left some of the clips out that hold it in place. Seriously shoddy work for a GM dealer.

Anyway... I have little to no moola right now for a service call, so it's going to have to wait a bit. But it's nice to know that it's at least rechargeable if that's what's going to have to be done. In the meantime, I'll hope for not too many 90+ degree days.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Well that's what I thought, but couldn't be certain. The reason I ask is because when they removed your engine; they should have recharged your A/C system since it has to be disconnected to drop the engine. My 07 just had the timing chain cover work done (engine dropped and reinstalled) and they recharged my system as part of the install.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
Well that's what I thought, but couldn't be certain. The reason I ask is because when they removed your engine; they should have recharged your A/C system since it has to be disconnected to drop the engine. My 07 just had the timing chain cover work done (engine dropped and reinstalled) and they recharged my system as part of the install.
Typically they shouldn't need a recharge unless there's a leak or in this case some mechanical work that caused fridge to escape. I have to say our HVAC is the best I've had on any car. Freezing cold within minutes even after the car sits in the blazing sun of south jersey for hours. I remote start and let it run for a few minutes before getting in under those conditions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just had a strange situation with our A/C. Trip from STL to Bloominton, IN (~4 hour trip one way). About 2 1/2 into the trip (both directions) the A/C stops blowing cold air through the vents. We put the temp control on 65 degrees and you can hear the fan blowing behind the dash but is seems like a dash damper is preventing airflow through the vents (like they are plugged). No matter what we did with the directional airflow (top, bottom, defrost) it would not blow out the vents. After turning climate control off and back on we could not get it to work. After an hour of sweating, we reached our destination. I looked around under the hood and could see nothing apparently wrong. However I did notice A LOT of water dripping from under the drivers side front. It almost seems like the coil froze up but why would that prevent the air from coming through the vents? After the car sat for 30 minutes we started it again and all was well and blowing cold air again.

On the way home it acted up again. This time we kept going but turned the air off for 15 minutes to let it thaw out :shrug:. After 15 minutes I pushed the "Auto" button (turning on the automatic climate control) and it worked fine for another 1/2 hour. I then repeated the 15 minute process all over again.

I have not searched the forums yet for this same problem. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I would say it's quite possible you "froze" the A/C system especially if there is a lot of humidity in the air. I haven't heard of anyone with this particular problem as of yet. Raven's A/C issue seems similar to your issue. I can see more of these posts popping up and the weather warms around the country and people switch to cool air instead of warm :-\

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
I would say it's quite possible you "froze" the A/C system especially if there is a lot of humidity in the air. I haven't heard of anyone with this particular problem as of yet. Raven's A/C issue seems similar to your issue. I can see more of these posts popping up and the weather warms around the country and people switch to cool air instead of warm :-\
Never heard of that happening with a car AC - common in window units when the temp outside is not that warm.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Have to agree with mikemu...not common in vehicles. If you are freezing the A/C coil, the a/c is being used at too low of a temp (which it isn't), but this can also happen with the "freon" level being too low, like it needs a recharge.

Like was said, it is a closed system and shouldn't need a recharge unless it leaked out or wasn't recharged after it was evacuated for the engine removal.

Sounds like both of you should have a dealer trip....unless of course you want to go to WM and get the recharge kit and do it yourself...don't know how....sorry. You can get a kit with a guage and get the pressure reading before/after the recharge. The hardest part is finding the proper connector to hook the hose up to. I have seen it done by my brother to one of his cars and it looked easy.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
For my situation the driver and passenger temp are set at 74 with the outside temp in the mid 80's. Was not really that humid. The puzzling part is why does it do this after such a long time (2 1/2 hours) on long trips. I would hate to drive around for 2 1/2 hours and then head to the dealer when I start to sweat. BTW, it did this once last year and we thought it was an anomaly. Guess not. I have a gauge for the A/C and will take some pressure readings on the system.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
The hardest part is finding the proper connector to hook the hose up to. I have seen it done by my brother to one of his cars and it looked easy.....
If you hook up to the A/C system; make sure you hook onto the low pressure side; there are two ports for the A/C system..............never done it to this vehicle so I'm not sure which one is the low side

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am having a similiar type of AC problem.

AC starts off working just fine. Set at 74 with outside temp ~92.
Then after ~3hrs of a driving, AC fan was not blowing well.
The temperature felt cool, but not cold. Adjusting w/ auto vs manual, fan control, recirculating air, didn't help.
Once we reached our destination, there was quite a bit of water that pooled after the car was off for ~30min.
Then when used the following time (about 2hrs after being off), AC was working just fine.

Have not taken in to dealer yet. Was wondering if those who posted earlier had taken to the dealer yet for diagnosis.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I would think a freeze up is unlikley with outside temps exceeding 90. Perhaps there is some other malfuntion.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Desperados said:
I too am having a similiar type of AC problem.

AC starts off working just fine. Set at 74 with outside temp ~92.
Then after ~3hrs of a driving, AC fan was not blowing well.
The temperature felt cool, but not cold. Adjusting w/ auto vs manual, fan control, recirculating air, didn't help.
Once we reached our destination, there was quite a bit of water that pooled after the car was off for ~30min.
Then when used the following time (about 2hrs after being off), AC was working just fine.

Have not taken in to dealer yet. Was wondering if those who posted earlier had taken to the dealer yet for diagnosis.
What was the humidity outside? Raining? The higher the humidity the harder the AC will have to work and after running a prolonged time it might get a little tired for lack of a better word. That's why after resting and restarting it worked fine. Same goes with home or office AC units.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
khansen30 said:
What was the humidity outside? Raining? The higher the humidity the harder the AC will have to work and after running a prolonged time it might get a little tired for lack of a better word. That's why after resting and restarting it worked fine. Same goes with home or office AC units.
+1

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New issue: My AC was working fine yesterday. It was 88 and crazy humid outside. I stopped for gas, turned off the truck. And then when I started it back up and left, the AC came on fine, but then a weird mist started coming out of the vents! I turned the AC off and on again a few times, same thing... nothing at first, and then this weird mist.

Though, later when we went out to dinner, there was no weird mist and the AC worked fine. Do you think it was just the humidity outside causing mist to come out of the vents??

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:
New issue: My AC was working fine yesterday. It was 88 and crazy humid outside. I stopped for gas, turned off the truck. And then when I started it back up and left, the AC came on fine, but then a weird mist started coming out of the vents! I turned the AC off and on again a few times, same thing... nothing at first, and then this weird mist.

Though, later when we went out to dinner, there was no weird mist and the AC worked fine. Do you think it was just the humidity outside causing mist to come out of the vents??
Did the mist have a scent to it?

1 - 20 of 144 Posts