GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
First post here.
I have a brand new 2008 Black on Black fully load Acadia sitting in my driveway. The dealer let me take it home overnight to play with it.
Anyway, it has it all including the Nav and DVD in the ceiling.
I have a 2006 Acura MDX, and I have to say the Nav on this thing is not very impressive.
So here is my question.
I do like the fact that I can load a DVD in the Nav screen so my 4 year old can watch a movie in the back. Its also cool that the DVD actually also plays on the Nav screen
when the car is in park. But the fact that the Nav screen is small and you cannot get rid of the Icons on the bottom that take up more screen space is dumb. Not to mention there is no Bluetooth.
So I was thinking of getting a car without both Nav and DVD and putting in a Nice Nav which has Bluetooth, and then adding the DVD on the headrests.
Has anyone gone this route?
Also whats your overall impressions of the Nav.
On a side note, the only thing this car does not have is HID Headlights. Any reason I should hold out for them and find a different car??
Oh and this thing has bad *** 20 inch rims as well. Here is a pic.
Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
We ordered the Nav headunit with back-up camera but no rear DVD. We decided to add the Headrests instead, get 2 screens / DVD players vs 1 fold down. Yes you lose the "indash" viewing and you may have to control the unit for your child at that age. The fold down screen blocked the rearview mirror too much IMO.
Cannot comment on the Nav (still waiting on delivery).
You will lose the (factory) back-up camera if you don't get the "DVD Based" Nav radios.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That is an awesome looking Acadia with a good mix of options BUT from what you were saying I would recommending building one with Nav and get the dealer installed headrest DVDs and the HID lights. You will be upset with yourself that you didn't get the HID lights especially coming out of an Acura MDX.

The other benefit of the dealer installed headrest DVD is covered under factory warranty and our rolled into your financing.

I absolutely love those 20 inch rims, even though I know they will put me over budget with the other options I want add. But regardless...sweet ride!

·
Registered
812 Posts
nYC pICS!!! i ordered mine with the same color but without the nav. i was disappointed with its features and not to mention its still a DVD-based system. I would go for the aftermarket route for an in-dash nav system ( or just plain Garmin ) and have the headrest DVD unit as an added option. having your Acadia built to your own specs is a better way to go if you dont mind the wait. :thumb:

BTW Acura has the best Nav system in the market. So intuitive and simple to use. ;D

·
Registered
17 Posts
You don't say specifically whether the HUD option is included. But if so, one thing I don't see mentioned much is the very useful integration of Nav and HUD. Route guidance aspects appearing in the HUD include turn direction (with graphical differentiation between right angle turns and bearing turns) as well as realtime sequential display of remaining distance to the turn (e.g., 0.2 mi, 0.1 mi, 400 ft, 200 ft, 100 ft, 0 ft). This info is beneficial for two reasons: (1) it's more detailed than that provided by the voice prompts and (2) the driver doesn't need to divert attention from the road to look at the map.

·
Registered
119 Posts
His has the HUD.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Mom and Dad have a 2007 MDX and I have a 2007 Outlook so i have driven both cars quite a bit. Personally i really like the Nav system a lot more in the Outlook. It seems more intuitive to me and much more user friendly. The entire center console on the Outlook/Acadia is much more appealing.The MDX center console seems way more congested. I love the clean look in my Outlook. The only thing i like better in the MDX is being able to input addresses while the car is moving.

I like the idea of the Headrest DVD's (they look really cool), but for practicality i think the single flip down screen is better. As a parent of 18 month old twins i like being able to control what they are watching from the front. If I'm alone in the car with them i can swap out DVD's easily. Granted they might get to an age where they want to watch different things but there is something to be said for learning how to share, have patienience, and all that good stuff. ;D

That being said the MDX is a blast to drive! Definitely a different feel than the Outlook. If I'm driving alone (no kids,wife,parents in the car) i would much prefer to drive the MDX.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
84Tank is 100% correct.
Which is kinda funny. I went over the Best Buy to see the in dash nav systems, and since the dealer is letting me keep this car until tomorrow I decided to set it all up like it was going to be mine.
Now maybe I just didn't notice it, but as 84Tank said, I was messing with the Nav and did notice that directions are displayed on the HUD, very cool. Also I was getting the XM Station and Song name on the HUD too. When a new song started to play or when I was using the controls on the wheel to change the station.
That and the fact that I can control the rear DVD player with the Nav screen may just make me stay with the GM setup.
I can get an aftermarket Nav that will also load DVD movies into the Nav screen, but I doubt the HUD will have the same functionality, unless someone else has a HUD and a aftermarket Nav that can comment about the HUD display inputs.
So looks like if I close this deal tomorrow, I'll only need a Bluetooth Handsfree Car setup to add. Looking at a Parriot unless someone else has a better recommendation.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts