GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The interior "chrome" trims are plastic in the Acadia (like most cars) and my brother in law, when looking at the Acadia we had for a long test drive, said "those cheap plastic chrome will chip over time you know". OK - now we both have honda 98 accords with the same plastic chrome as well and have held up for 10 years just fine.

SO.... my question is this - what kind of vehicle has actual chrome or actual wood and not just plastic versions? I looked at the Audi Q7 online and finishes look really nice. Are they real? Does it take a Jaguar? BMW? Bentley? Cadillac? I have no clue!

I am not a total girl (I just changed a flat to the spare to take to Big-O to get my tire repaired - thank you very much!) but I am not a motorhead and don't know answers like the question above. Just curious. Can I afford real chrome or wood trims?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question regarding the chrome trim around the air conditioning vents on the dashboard. I was driving my Acadia this weekend (I've only had the car for a week) and I noticed that there was a pretty bad glare from the sun reflecting off of the chrome trim. Depending on the position of the car, the glare would come and go, but it was quite distracting while I was driving. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I wonder if there's a way to replace the chrome trim with something that doesn't reflect quite as much (maybe something similar to the brushed metallic look on the other portions of the dashboard)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Michael said:
I have a question regarding the chrome trim around the air conditioning vents on the dashboard. I was driving my Acadia this weekend (I've only had the car for a week) and I noticed that there was a pretty bad glare from the sun reflecting off of the chrome trim. Depending on the position of the car, the glare would come and go, but it was quite distracting while I was driving. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I wonder if there's a way to replace the chrome trim with something that doesn't reflect quite as much (maybe something similar to the brushed metallic look on the other portions of the dashboard)?
I've noticed the same thing.. it gets annoying some times when the sun shines right off it and into your eyes...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Keith said:
I think the glare is pretty minimal. I have only noticed it a time or two.
Same here. Nothing terribly obnoxious. Then again, I always have my shades on.

I'm wondering if it will lessen after we tint the windows.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Mama2girls said:
The interior "chrome" trims are plastic in the Acadia (like most cars) and my brother in law, when looking at the Acadia we had for a long test drive, said "those cheap plastic chrome will chip over time you know". OK - now we both have honda 98 accords with the same plastic chrome as well and have held up for 10 years just fine.

SO.... my question is this - what kind of vehicle has actual chrome or actual wood and not just plastic versions? I looked at the Audi Q7 online and finishes look really nice. Are they real? Does it take a Jaguar? BMW? Bentley? Cadillac? I have no clue!

I am not a total girl (I just changed a flat to the spare to take to Big-O to get my tire repaired - thank you very much!) but I am not a motorhead and don't know answers like the question above. Just curious. Can I afford real chrome or wood trims?

Thanks!!
Most car companies have been using plastic chrome for years. Probably because it saves them money and it's most likely safer in a crash than plated metal. I have had a number of cars with it and I have never had a problem. If you look at a older car with plated metal you will see the chrome also pits and sometimes peels. I think with proper care the chromed plastic will last a long time. I think the car companies started using it in the mid sixties.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think brushed finish would be nice - any ideas?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mama2girls said:
I think brushed finish would be nice - any ideas?
Ohh, that would look great!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The area around the console shift knob looks brushed and has a similar reflective issue as with the shiny chrome vent trim.

I always wear sunglasses while driving with nearly any sunlight at all and find the glare very annoying when you get a direct reflection off one of the vents. One time I took a double-take when I looked out the driver's side window because I thought it was cracked - it turned out to be the sunlight glare from the vent reflecting in the window.

·
Registered
92 Posts
man mama2girls......you're good looking AND smart. Brushed would look fantastic. Need a womens eye to come up with that stuff.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I vote for brushed as well. Seems like a good custom aftermarket item.

·
Registered
956 Posts
donlovestheas said:
man mama2girls......you're good looking AND smart. Brushed would look fantastic. Need a womens eye to come up with that stuff.
Seems that mama2girls has an admirer here. I agree that the brushed chrome would look nice. Can't comment on the good looking part as I have never seen her, but she certainly seems to be intelligent and nice.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Seems that mama2girls has an admirer here. I agree that the brushed chrome would look nice. Can't comment on the good looking part as I have never seen her, but she certainly seems to be intelligent and nice.
Shhhhhh.....my husband lurks!!! ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mama2girls said:
Last I bothered to check, Jag, Audi and VW were using real woods.

I don't know of any company using real chromed metal any more. More than likely for safety reasons. My father has a three inch scar on his face from an auto accident he had back in the 60s that resulted from an interior piece of chromed metal ripping through his skin. :ack:

·
Registered
362 Posts
For some reason, wood on a car reminds me of this:

Do not want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts