GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm excited to find this forum - it shows me that there are lots of people as interested in this car as I am. I fell in love with the Acadia when I saw the commercial with the dual sunroofs, and the more I look into it, the more I like it. We went for a test drive the other day and I loved it! I was afraid it would feel too truck-like or mushy like the Suburban or Sequoia, but if felt tight and responsive. I also love the features (I want an SLT-2 with DVD, nav and sunroof), but what I love the most is the look of the Acadia. Something about it really strikes a chord with me.

The problem is that we've only owned Toyotas and Hondas and are a little wary about buying a GMC. We don't want to buy an expensive car and then spend thousands more in the shop. Also, we've always heard not to buy a car in its first model year. But I just read that the prices might go up soon, so I don't want to wait until we can't afford it.

Any reassurance out there from GMC owners?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I was the same way. We always buy Nissan/Infinity or Acura after a graduation present (Chrysler) fell apart. My mom's Town and Country was awful as well. I am the first person in my family since my grandfather died in '76 (he was a union leader for Fisher Body so we always had one GM on the side) to have a GM car. My parents now have a Mercedes, Lexus and Infinity. My husband has driven American once (a Ford and that was only a short time). This said, WE LOVE THIS CAR!!!! It has TOTALLY restored my faith. With the warrantee it should cover any problems and if you have read, GM seems to have a big stake at getting the Acadia right. I bought mine after the "tranny" recall and it runs great!!

The main concern I had was customer service. My Volvo was is the shop so many times (I needed a new clutch once and it took 3 weeks for it to come in from Sweden) that I needed a "loaner" to make it. Our GMC dealer gives loaners as well. Just offering a loaner made me feel at ease. If there is a problem, the shop can deal with it and I can still have a life.

I say GO FOR IT and have fun!!! :wine:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm a buy American kinda guy but this is my first GM and I must say I'm a total convert (from Chrysler products). I highly recommend this car and the other new GM product offerings as well. They really seem to have "got it" over the last couple of years and the products today show that.
:thumb:

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I have owned GMC's since 2002. 2 Denali's and the Acadia. The only thing they have ever been back for are the recalls(or side affects of not having the recalls done).

I have owned BMW, Saab, Volkswagens, Volvo and they have had their fair share of visits. No brand is perfect but if you listen to the media outlets all they will do is praise the foreign makers and bash American cars.

Ask a Toyota owner how happy they were with there car when the transmission recall hit almost every Camry/Avalon produced?

Each automaker will have issues with a car. Nothing is perfect. I had a friend buy a HOnda Civic as a commuter car b/c of the "reliability". 12,000 miles later it had a cracked engine block. It happens.

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I started my recent new/used car search reliability was at the top of the list and I was looking for Hondas or Toyotas. However, I came across the Outlook and then gravitated toward the Acadia. It had everything I could think of that I wanted, and the rave reviews started pouring in, and so I've ended up with the Acadia as of a few days ago.

Yes, the recall/technical service bulletin/problems thread do give me cause for a little concern (but many of these are typical for a new model release, and fixable, too), and I'm ready to "possibly" have a few more issues than I've had with my Honda Pilot, but the trade-off is that the Acadia is head and shoulders above anything else I've seen and, for me, has made it worth taking a bit of risk away from familiar waters (Hondas/Toyotas).

·
Registered
102 Posts
shellbell,

I know exactly how you feel, I have only owned 1 American car, all the rest have been foreign, my last 5 cars have either been Honda/Acuras or Nissan. Of the Honda's, our second Civic was never right from the day I drove it off the lot, you never know what you are going to get. I have friends who both purchased first year Honda Pilots, one had nothing but problems, the other had none, they purchased them within days of each other shortly after they were released. While I still have some reservations, most of which I think are more about this being the first model year, than the fact that it is a domestic, these forums have helped put most of them at east. I think GM has hit the mark with the Acadia, it has everything my family wants/needs in a SUV to replace our MDX. I am looking to do one more test drive in the next day or so to make sure I am comfortable driving it, and if all goes well, hope to drive one home some time next week provided the dealer can find me what I am looking for.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I feel you take your chances with any new car. Some are great, some just dont work out. That said, this will be my third US vehicle. My two previous have been VERY reliable. Have 220,000 miles on the one I have now. They seem to be less maintenance than the Japanese cars I have had. Much better features for the money as well. Come on back to uncle Sam!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Never owned anything but GM...Ford or Chrysler. But then I'm not always politicaly correct.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
For the most part, I've always owned American cars. I've had a Ford Taurus. I bought it used and it ended up being full of problems. I've had a Plymouth Satellite and a Plymouth Voyager that also gave me nothing but trouble. I've had a few Pontiacs (Sunfire and two Grand Ams), loved all three of those cars. I had an old Camaro that was really reliable. My last two vehicles have been Saturn Vues. The first one being an early model year was full of problems, the second one, no problems at all. This is my first new GMC (first GMC was a used Jimmy), so far no problems. (jeez... looking back on it, I've been through a lot of cars in my life already. LOL)

I think the only foreign car I've ever owned was an Audi 5000S wagon that I bought used. GREAT vehicle, no problems. :)

I don't think I'm really loyal to any particular brand. If I like it, I buy it. If I could've afforded it, I would have gotten a Volkswagen Touareg. But they're pretty much out of my price-range.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Acadia.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a Toyota in college and for the first 3-4 years out of college, and I can say that I spent a lot more on repairs for that Toyota than the two Jeeps and three Fords since then. My wife had an Accord when we were married, and in the four years of that Accord it was probably in the shop five times more than our three year old Jeep we just traded for the Acadia (one time under warranty for the Jeep for adjustment of the memory settings, and at the same time to handle a non-safety recall).

My 96 Mustang with 105k miles, I just spent $200 on brakes, and other than that one repair I only spend money for oil changes and tires.

My mother's 04 Envoy, she has absolutely loved. She believes it the best car she has owned, and it was a long road for her back to GM from an 86 Cadillac lemon. My dad is driving an 02 F150 with 110k miles, and has an E-Superduty based RV with a little more than 100k miles-- no issues with any of those vehicles.

All this is to say that every car needs to be judged on it's own merits, and IMO, the rice-burners are no better than the domestics, and in fact when you have an issue with a Toyota or Honda, I have found it is much more expensive to fix, if it even getsfixed. My Toyota and my wife's Accord had chronic issues which the dealers fixed repeatedly and never got right (the Toyota had guage issues and an early cooling problem, the Accord had a 4-time repair on the gas guage and 2-times on transmission slippage before she gave up on it)

I can't say I won't buy a rice-burner at some point, we did look at Nissan, and we looked at Mazda this time and before we bought the last Jeep as well-- but I am biased toward domestics because in general I think you should try and keep your money here to fight the trade deficit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ALL of my parents cars have been american, they have had GM's, Ford's, and Diamler Chrysler's, and tomorrow i am getting my first car a 2003 Chevy S-10!! I dont think my mom will get a foriegn car without alot of talking into and looks better than an acadia or enclave.. She has had her suburban for 7 years and the only problem has been it needed a new gasket or something a couple weeks ago because when we would start it, it would shake alottt and if you didnt give it gas then it would die but it was an easy and cheap fix. I dont have an acadia or enclave yet but we have test driven one and i would definately say GET IT!!!!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
shellbell...there are a few of us "insiders" out here active in the forums. We want to make sure we get it right and listen to you. I and the rest of us here will do our best to make sure you're not disappointed. We take a lot of pride in what we've created with Outlook, Acadia and now Enclave and we want to see them succeed. We know we need to earn your trust and we are trying every day. Thanks for considering the new Acadia...I don't think you'll be disappointed!

·
Registered
128 Posts

Now that the Enclave is in production any comments to compare it with the other 2 brother/sister?

Looks good? Feels good?

When will dealers likely see the units? or more importatnly when will I get a chance to see the Enclave. I have driven an Acadia and just want to compare.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The first Enclaves left the Lansing plant on Wednesday April 18. Can't tell you where they were going or when they'll get there. Gosh, I guess that was helpful!!?? Guess all I can really say is they are building and shipping every day.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Shellbell...I concur with some of your caution as well. Since my 1972 Dodge Dart given to me from my aunt when in college, I've never owned an American car. All Japanese and German. I say GO FOR IT...we love our Acadia so far (delivered 3/9; 3K miles). We researched for 4 months and drove everything out there and Acadia had the best mixture, and in our opinion, best value for the $.

Regarding TSBs and other minor adjustments to the car. If an Acadia owner isn't monitoring this forum, I bet they probably don't even know about them. When they take their vehicle in for service these things would be completed as a matter of course. Regarding the problems thread, many of those things relate to personal preferences or dislikes, not true problems. Yes there are a couple, but I have faith that through Acadia7j100001 and his colleagues monitoring, GMC will have fixes very soon.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I moved from a Acura MDX to the Acadia, when I purchased the Acura I thought I moved up to another level of vehicle from my previous vehicles, I was driving the Blazer and Jimmies from 1995 until 2003, I had three of them, I was disappointed with the American made cars available at that time. When I drove the Acadia I was so excited that this was an American made car that I felt like was at the same if not better level than the MDX. I say go for it, you will be satified with your decision.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts