GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys/Gals I'm in early negotiations with a dealer on a 2009 SLE-1. I did the price with options thing on Edmonds and can't get the MSRP's to match up on the options.

Here's the deal(I think):

MSRP: $35,840(according to dealer)
E-PRICE: $29,287(price dealer is asking)
after all applicable rebates* (which right now is the 2250 GM Cash plus 500 Auto Show Cash for a total of $2750)

When I build it with these options on Edmonds it gives me an MSRP of $35,370, Invoice of $32,831, TMV $32,644

PEG:3SA - SLE-1 Pkg
Primary Color:80U - Red Jewel Tintcoat
Trim:19C - Ebony Cloth
Engine:LLT - Engine, 3.6L VVT DOHC V6 SIDI
Transmission:MY9 - Transmission, Auto. 6-Spd (FWD)

Options:

ABB : Seating, 7-Pass. 2,2,3
PZ3 : Wheel, 18" X 7.5" Aluminum Painted
AG5 : Seat Adjuster, Pass. Manual
QD6 : Compact Spare Tire & Wheel, Steel
AH3 : Frt. Seat Adjuster, Driver Manual
QLW : Tires, P255/65R18 BW-ALS
AP8 : Remote Keyless Entry, Extended Range
R9I : XA7 Processing Option
AQ4 : Seat, 2nd Row Captains Chairs
T43 : Spoiler, Rear
AR9 : Seats, Frt. Bucket, Deluxe
T82 : Headlamp Control, Auto On-Off
ARN : Seat, Rear, 3rd Row, 60/40 Bench, Manual
T96 : Fog Lamps, Frt.
AY0 : Restraint System, Inf. Driver & Pass & Head Curtain
TB4 : Liftgate-Manual
BTV : Remote Vehicle Starter System
U2K : XM-Radio Digital Audio System-S-Band
C98 : Frt Pass Airbag Supression
U42 : DVD Entertainment Pkg. Rear Seat
CJ2 : HVAC System, Frt. Tri-Zone
UC1 : Speedometer in Miles
EF7 : Country, U.S.
UE1 : OnStar
FE2 : Suspension System, Ride & Handling
UH8 : Cluster Inst.-Cool Temp, Trip OD, Tach
FE9 : Federal Emissions
UJ6 : Tire Inflator Monitor
GW5 : Ratio Transaxle Final Drive 3.16
UK6 : Rear Seat Audio Controls & Headphone Jacks
JL9 : Brake System, Pwr. Frt & RR Disc. Antilock
UQS : Audio Pkg, Advanced Bose 10-Speaker w/ Surround Sound
K34 : Cruise Control
UVA : Radio, DVD, CD, AM/FM Stereo, MP3, RDS
NEA : Exhaust System-Dual With Chrome Tips
V2P : Roof Rails-Longitudinal-Brushed Alum.
NK5 : Steering Wheel, Std.
VFF : Video Format
NW9 : Traction Control Z88 : Market Brand-GMC

Dealer says I give up ALL rebates to get 0% for 60 or 1.9% for 72 so the price for 0% would be $32,037 before TTL, is this a good deal?
If I can I'd like to get the dealer to throw in the OEM Assist Steps & All Weather Mats, is this asking too much?

Only thing against me is time as the 0% ends on Tues,(3/31).

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
79 Posts
DblD...the dealer is going to make money on the sale any way you look at it - but if the price is right for you than it's a good deal.

If the sticker is 35K and the online price is 29K and the invoice price w/ options is 32K...I'd say it's a decent deal depending on what you were looking to spend. Just remember though, a good deal is different for you than it is for the dealer....they have to make money to stay in business, but it doesn't all have to come from you! So, if you have a ball-park figure that were looking to spend and the sale price is below your bottom line, then it's a good deal. It has to be a price you're comfortable with and can handle. Remember, a dealer "invoice" is what a vehicle actually costs to make, not what the dealer actually "paid" for the vehicle. So if the dealer is coming down 2-3K below invoice there may be some hidden manufacturer to dealer incentives where the dealer has gotten incentives or rebates from the manufacturer in return for selling a certain kind or number of vehicles.

If the dealer is asking 29K, there are probably some of those hidden manufacturer-dealer rebates in play because they surely won't lose $$$ on the sale. There is also what is called "holdback" which is pure profit for the dealer...but that's another topic. I would tactfully ask for the OEM assist steps and the mats in the final sales price - who knows, you might get lucky....good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As far as a cost analysis, here are some numbers:

1) Purchased at $29,287 and financed privately @ 7% interest, payment $579.92:
Interest cost over 60 months= $5,508.06
Total cost over 60 months= $34,795.06
Bankrate.com auto loan calculator

2) Purchased at $32,037 and financed with 0% interest, payment $534.06:
Cost over above numbers, raw ($32,037-29,287): $2,750
Savings over above numbers, total ($34,795.06-32,037): $2,758.06 ($2,593.06 with tax difference below)
Total cost over 60 months= $32,037

Note also you have to calculate tax on the higher price as well, so the above is not exact. At a 6% tax rate, the $29,287 is $1,757.22, and the $32,037 is $1,922.22, for a difference of $165. Your interest rate will vary also, it may be higher or lower than the 7%. You can plug in your numbers on the Bankrate link and get closer figures. In the above example, the 0% deal will end up saving you money and have a lower monthly cost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is it advisable to email the dealer with my "terms", price I'm willing to pay for the vehicle, my trade price, interest rate and goodies list?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Hit or miss. In my dealings on the Acadia & Challenger, it seems like most salesmen like to talk on the phone. I prefer email since it provides a written record of what was said so there are no questions on any numbers.

Wouldn't hurt to try it. GM stock is down 25% this morning, so you'd think they want to sell some vehicles. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw that about the stock, probably because the GM CEO was forced out on Saturday.

·
Registered
131 Posts
yeah, stock decline due to both Wagoner and the overall gov't rejection of the GM turnaround plan.

I'm hoping my dealer is willing to deal too....on the verge of an '09 Summit White...

·
Registered
131 Posts
whups...back to the topic - I wouldn't hesitate to email the dealer with your terms, etc. Keep in mind, you are the customer and whether the deal happens or not is in *your* hands. If your communication preference is email, the dealer should be able to handle it. It also makes it crystal clear as to what is agreed upon, and if they try a bait and switch, at any level, you have email documentation (i.e. if they agree to include floormats, assist boards, etc.).

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
You pay sales tax on the rebate amount no matter what as it is a "cash back" incentive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I emailed them my terms and now they are saying the quoted price was a mistake and they quoted me about 1500 below invoice. They will also not give me the extra 500 I'm asking for my trade(which would have been 700 under what edmonds says the trade in should be, I was willing to eat that) and they will not throw in the assist steps. So I emailed back pointing out the Edmonds trade in value.....and the game continues....

They are probably perusing this forum as I type! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I've gotten 200 more in trade dollars out of them but its still way below what I should be getting. They want me to come in tomorrow to run numbers, not sure if I'll do that or not. They keep saying the mistake in price will only be honored through tomorrow, thats just to get a deal though I'm sure. I priced insurance today and that'll go up 25 a month!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you have a clean trade and can wait on the purchase for a bit, I would consider going it alone on your trade-in and selling private party. I have an '09 Acadia being built in a few weeks and none of the three dealers I talked to would come even close to the "good" condition Edmunds value for my 2005 4Runner. The best I was quoted from the dealer was about $14,000 (with a calculated Edmunds value of $17,100). Multiple dealers said, "there have been a bunch of 4Runners sold at auction lately and none went for more than $13,000-14,000." However, trucks similar to mine options-wise with more miles were listed by local dealers between $19,000 and $22,000!

I detailed my 4Runner and put it on Craig's list for $18,000 and sold it to the first caller for $17,100 three days later. I think the dealers are trying to get better margins on our trades right now to make up for the better deals they are giving on the new vehicles. I have also read that used cars are selling better right now do the economy, too, which makes sense. That helps the dealer make more money on a lowballed trade, but it also helps you if you decide to sell it yourself...

Del

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Don't forget you pay sales tax on the net amount after trade in value so if you decide to sell privately, you have to figure that math into the equation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'm going Del's route....they wouldn't budge today....I think I just need to sleep on the idea of a new ride for a couple more months and see if the incentives are any better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
True on the sales tax - that's a good point. I will pay about $850 more in sales tax, but netting that against the higher sales price of my private trade (roughly $3,000 higher), I'll still be over $2,000 better off in my case.

Del

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Good deal especially if you have a buyer. I have generally gone the trade route in the past - it's easier than running ads and having strangers come to your home. Good luck with the transaction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Craig's List was amazing with regard to results. I got about eight calls on my truck within 2 days and it's free to list here in Boise.

I agree about not having someone meet at your home. I had the buyer come to my work (you could meet in another public place, as well) and we completed the transaction at their bank where I could see them get a cashier's check in real time (and sign a standard bill of sale stating "as is" condition). My biggest worry was a fake check and that's what my bank suggested to do.

Selling outright worked out being a lot less painful than I thought it would be. Dealing with salesman on my trade has been far worse for me in the past!

Del

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Craigslist is a great alternative to ebay, especially for big items like vehicles. Like any online place, there are scammers galore. In my experience they don't take the time to meet with you in person for the cashier's check scam. I like brand forums (like this one) as well- that's how we sold our Durango. I had the buyer meet at a local business, and had called his bank to verify the check was good ahead of time. We made $1,500 more than our highest trade-in offer from a dealer doing this, and this was when gas was in the stratosphere last year and you basically couldn't give away an SUV. The difference in sales tax was about $240, so we came out ahead.

Glad to hear that worked out for the best Del. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Multiple dealers said, "there have been a bunch of 4Runners sold at auction lately and none went for more than $13,000-14,000." However, trucks similar to mine options-wise with more miles were listed by local dealers between $19,000 and $22,000!

Same old dealer crap, buy it low from you and sell high for them, as more and more people sell their own rides the dealers will get the point that they will start having to be more honest with the trades. I'll never trade with a dealer again. I have sold alot of vehicles and if your patient and not in a yank to get a new car, selling it yourself is always king.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
6Sixathome said:
...as more and more people sell their own rides the dealers will get the point that they will start having to be more honest with the trades.
Good point 6- I listened to a radio ad from our local GMC dealer and they sounded almost desperate for used cars. We happened to drive by their lot the same day and when I glanced over, I think there were only like 5-6 used cars there. When we had looked into getting an Acadia there last fall (we didn't buy from this place), I recall there being several rows of them (easily 20+). This dealer is one that plays games, at least in new car sales, so it's not surprising to me they are not doing well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.