GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.. I am new to this.. Got my Acadia back in April and just recently when I turn on my A/C it has a terrible odor. Has anyone else had this problem? My husband told me I should take it down to the dealership but I'm sure they are going to look at me like I am crazy! Any input would be helpful..Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum... and other than the above, I hope you are enjoying the Acadia. There are several factors that could cause an odor in your ventilation system. Does the odor persist if you have the heat on? The air comes from the same source, so it would be odd for it to only affect the AC unless you have a leak in your evaporator core- if this is the case, you will have no cold air.

Usually it is a fluid leak of some sort. The dealer will need to inspect it to see what is causing it.

It is helpful to post your location in your profile and vehicle info in your signature so that others can help you. The info on how to do so is in the link in my signature called Blues Clues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input... I don't if the odor is present with the heat on. I live in Tn and haven't had to use it yet. I will test it out tomorrow. Thank you for the helpful link....

·
Registered
5 Posts
it is probably mold and mildew. ... When you last used the Acadia...I bet you left the AC on in some means. It is always good practice to shut the AC off about 2 or 3 minutes before you plan on leaving the vehicle to remove all the frozen moisture and excess mositure in the AC exchanger.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The first thing I would do is have the inside cabin air filter changed. If something is causing the smell it is likely in the filter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check the drain line for condensation from the a/c. May be cloged alowing moisture to build up resulting in mold which was memtioned.
BD

·
Registered
635 Posts
snowboardernh said:
it is probably mold and mildew. ... When you last used the Acadia...I bet you left the AC on in some means. It is always good practice to shut the AC off about 2 or 3 minutes before you plan on leaving the vehicle to remove all the frozen moisture and excess mositure in the AC exchanger.
I have had this in other cars and trucks and the above is the correct problem. When you go from running the AC one day and nothing or heat the next, the moisture that remained has turned sour. Take it to the dealer and they can put a cleaner and odor killer in the line to fix the problem. When the vehicle is under warranty, the dealer should cover the cost.

This usually happens every coupld of years to me. No big deal.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I have had the same issue, Service manager sprayed the vents and he also told me to make sure I didn't have the AC set on recirculate all the time. He said the duct work need fresh air to keep them dried out. Mold is from mositure in the duct work. He also said Febreeze works also!

·
Registered
415 Posts
insti08 said:
I have had the same issue, Service manager sprayed the vents and he also told me to make sure I didn't have the AC set on recirculate all the time. He said the duct work need fresh air to keep them dried out. Mold is from mositure in the duct work. He also said Febreeze works also!
so where exactly do I spray febreeze? you say vents do you mean the ones on the dash? the car is only 3 months old can mold build up so quickly? the smell only last a second or so everytime its turned on then goes away

also another question when the ac is off but i have it set to recurclate the air is very cold is this also air conditioning? a little confused since i have theac set to off. And is there a cabin filter that can be changed?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
SLT09_ACADIA said:
so where exactly do I spray febreeze? you say vents do you mean the ones on the dash? the car is only 3 months old can mold build up so quickly? the smell only last a second or so everytime its turned on then goes away

also another question when the ac is off but i have it set to recurclate the air is very cold is this also air conditioning? a little confused since i have theac set to off. And is there a cabin filter that can be changed?
#1 light mist into the vents on the dash.
#2 Yes especially if it's humid
#3 Same with my Acadia
#4 No, with the AC off or when it is on and the recirculate button is on. It is just exchanging the cabin air only.
#5 I don't know about the cabin filter. I would like to know becuase I would change it every year.

·
Registered
415 Posts
insti08 said:
#1 light mist into the vents on the dash.
#2 Yes especially if it's humid
#3 Same with my Acadia
#4 No, with the AC off or when it is on and the recirculate button is on. It is just exchanging the cabin air only.
#5 I don't know about the cabin filter. I would like to know becuase I would change it every year.
can you really get rid of the mold with frebreeze .If not is there a way to remove the mold. Do you also spray it above in the outlets in the headliner?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Dealership uses a disenfectant is for the mold, febreeze is for the smell.

·
Registered
415 Posts
insti08 said:
Dealership uses a disenfectant is for the mold, febreeze is for the smell.
urrrh....I see well I don't want to go back to the dealership...can I find this in the parts department of gm

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Probably or use a household one. I just checked with the service department there is no cabin filter!

·
Registered
635 Posts
If a/c is off but recirculate is on the a/c is on as well. The compressor runs even though the a/c button is off, thus putting cold air in. This way in all gm cars, and was that way on my wifes old galant.

·
Registered
415 Posts
khansen30 said:
If a/c is off but recirculate is on the a/c is on as well. The compressor runs even though the a/c button is off, thus putting cold air in. This way in all gm cars, and was that way on my wifes old galant.
thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.