GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I just dropped my 2016 Acadia off at the dealership. The other day it stopped blowing cold air (still cool just not cold) then hissing sound from the dash started happening shortly later. I turned off the A/C and scheduled an appointment at the dealership. From the quick searching I've done on this forum it sounds like a fairly common issue with the evaporation coil (if I got that right) and is a $$$$ repair. Any advice from forum members on best outcomes to fixing this? Just let dealership handle it, is there a specific thing I want them to look at while they have it?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I just had my 2015 in for the exact same thing. They couldn't find a leak, so they added refrigerant with the fluorescent dye in it. Hopefully if you have a leak they are able to find it. Are you under warranty?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
If leaking behind the dash, it is a time consuming repair as they have to pull the entire dash assembly to reach the a/c bits.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Our 2017 was dropped off for same thing last night for work today. We've had an abnormal amount of hissing (even while the A/C was running... we "normally" only hear it when the A/C turns on/off).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had my 2015 in for the exact same thing. They couldn't find a leak, so they added refrigerant with the fluorescent dye in it. Hopefully if you have a leak they are able to find it. Are you under warranty?
Unfortunately my extended warranty ran up in January. I still have a drive train warranty until 100k miles but no more bumper to bumper etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, service advisor just called. They found leak at rear core he said. He said they could get it done by 2pm today and he'd knock 10% off price (who knows if that's legit) since I'm a repeat customer. $1,215 out the door. I knew it wasn't going to be cheap, and honestly was holding my breathe thinking it would be over $2k, so I told him to go for it, and hopefully this will be a one time in ownership repair. We have really loved this car and it fits our family and needs so well.

thanks for the feedback everyone. Hopefully for those of you who posted you just dropped your rig off, its something cheaper, but if not, this will give you an idea of what might be coming.

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
2017+ Acadia Denali
19 Posts
I have the 2017 Denali. Same thing for me. Took it in to replace the rear evap core. Sounds like you got a good price. Mine, thankfully was covered in my extended warranty so I only paid $50. But the bill they gave me said almost $1800 that they charged the insurance company. This was a GMC/Buick service center. Now...mine uses the new R1234 stuff..don't know if that affected price.

Well, service advisor just called. They found leak at rear core he said. He said they could get it done by 2pm today and he'd knock 10% off price (who knows if that's legit) since I'm a repeat customer. $1,215 out the door. I knew it wasn't going to be cheap, and honestly was holding my breathe thinking it would be over $2k, so I told him to go for it, and hopefully this will be a one time in ownership repair. We have really loved this car and it fits our family and needs so well.

thanks for the feedback everyone. Hopefully for those of you who posted you just dropped your rig off, its something cheaper, but if not, this will give you an idea of what might be coming.

·
Registered
2015 GMC Acadia SLT2 w/trailer package
14 Posts

Little late to the party but, ouch. Figured I'd post a reply incase anyone else comes across the issue. Ours was doing similar, blowing but no cold air and it ended up being the rear evaporator leaking. Lucked out though, as it was going to be $1300+ fix, but I had 1 month left on a warranty.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Link to replacement on a 2015 for reference:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts