GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just brought home a 2021 Acadia Denali and have had two instances where it has had trouble shifting into gear. Feels like a bad transmission slip that gets to the point that I can't even drive it out of my driveway now (car is in drive, engine revs like it is in neutral).

I was able to get it drivable again the first time it happened by switching it in and out of tow/haul mode as that seemed to force it to pick up a low gear. The dealer couldn't reproduce it and just reprogrammed some software per a GM bulletin, but the issue re-occurred a day later. I didn't use the tow/haul 'trick' to force it back into gear so the dealer can experience the issue.

Since this is a new model, I was curious if any other '21 owners had any transmission issues to report. It is possible I just got a lemon that was put together late on a Friday afternoon...

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Could this simply be driver error in use of the push-button shift? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
You'll probably have to show the error to someone at your service center before they can figure out if there's any problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been there twice now. The first time the error code was analyzed, and software 'reset' per service bulletin. Not looking for a solution, just curious if anyone else with a '21 has had issues. I'm going to take another one home with me to see if it has the same problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
604 Posts
We just brought home a 2021 Acadia Denali and have had two instances where it has had trouble shifting into gear. Feels like a bad transmission slip that gets to the point that I can't even drive it out of my driveway now (car is in drive, engine revs like it is in neutral).

I was able to get it drivable again the first time it happened by switching it in and out of tow/haul mode as that seemed to force it to pick up a low gear. The dealer couldn't reproduce it and just reprogrammed some software per a GM bulletin, but the issue re-occurred a day later. I didn't use the tow/haul 'trick' to force it back into gear so the dealer can experience the issue.

Since this is a new model, I was curious if any other '21 owners had any transmission issues to report. It is possible I just got a lemon that was put together late on a Friday afternoon...
I just turned 1000 miles on my 21 Denali and havent noticed any transmission issues at all. The shifting is seamless and Im really happy with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Just had ours towed in yesterday transmission is out..

·
Registered
3 Posts
2021 1400 miles driving down hwy acted like it needed to shift but lost power like a stall. Did it twice then a pop. Called dealership they sent a tow truck to get. Took over a day to get info and they said transmission is gone need new one. Hard to find 2021 transmission though.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
2021 1400 miles driving down hwy acted like it needed to shift but lost power like a stall. Did it twice then a pop. Called dealership they sent a tow truck to get. Took over a day to get info and they said transmission is gone need new one. Hard to find 2021 transmission though.
Assembly line most likely has a truck load of them. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Assembly line yes. But how many are going to have this issue. Bought it with 4 miles have had exactly one month. Wife is pissed. They gave a loaner of exact same vehicle and literally exact same mileage so we will see if it was a blooper or not

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Assembly line most likely has a truck load of them. :)
And loads of them headed to other GM plants/parts distribution warehouses. ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
... Hard to find 2021 transmission though.
"Born on date" probably doesn't matter. LOL The 9-speed transmission has been around a while.

·
Registered
2021 Acadia Denali AWD - Ultimate Pkg - Ebony Twilight Metallic
13 Posts
My 2021 Acadia Denali likes to slam into D, almost every time. Hopefully that's not a precursor. I only have 1200 miles on the ODO, and I'll definitely be bringing it up at my first service visit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2021 with 6,500 miles on it. It's hard shifting/lurching, especially from lower gears. Taking it to the shop this week.
what did the shop have to say? I have a 2021 Acadia ATF and the transmission seems to rev sort of high during normal driving... mostly at lower speeds. It may be normal, not sure. I love the car but only if it can drive lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The shop told me that too much grease was used in the assembly of some transmissions in the 2021 Acadias. First they re-learned the transmission and made me drive it another 500 miles. Then they flushed the transmission fluids and made me drive it another 200 miles. They said about half the time, the flushing fixes the issue. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue for me. So they're ordering a new transmission. I'm waiting a week to follow up and see when I can expect the new transmission. If the answer will put me outside the coverage time of lemon laws, I'm taking this thing back to the dealership and making them buy it back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The shop told me that too much grease was used in the assembly of some transmissions in the 2021 Acadias. First they re-learned the transmission and made me drive it another 500 miles. Then they flushed the transmission fluids and made me drive it another 200 miles. They said about half the time, the flushing fixes the issue. Unfortunately it didn't fix the issue for me. So they're ordering a new transmission. I'm waiting a week to follow up and see when I can expect the new transmission. If the answer will put me outside the coverage time of lemon laws, I'm taking this thing back to the dealership and making them buy it back.
Thanks... ours seems to have a higher revving noise but the rpms aren't high. I suppose until it leaves us on the side of the freeway warranty work will not be able to happen.

Did you have any lights or codes on your dash?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No lights or codes. I was able to take it in without any kind of breakdown. GM is aware they sent out faulty transmissions so I would definitely make an appointment over any strange transmission behavior. I believe they're in the middle of a class action lawsuit over their 2015-2019 transmissions, so it's in their best interest to check everything out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No lights or codes. I was able to take it in without any kind of breakdown. GM is aware they sent out faulty transmissions so I would definitely make an appointment over any strange transmission behavior. I believe they're in the middle of a class action lawsuit over their 2015-2019 transmissions, so it's in their best interest to check everything out.
Thanks for your help. I called the dealership today and they said there is a bulletin out for a software update on them. I'm bringing it in next Monday for them to look at it and do the update.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts