GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I like it but would still rather have a '70 Hemi Cuda.

I was fortunate to grow up in that era when the gov't and insurance companies went berserk over 400-500 horsepower cars. None of them seem to be blinking an eye at the current horsepower wars where the numbers are in the 700-800 range.

Certainly makes going to Saturday morning coffee and cars fun.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I just cannot imagine what a lay person would do with that much horsepower.

I have been away from Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) events too long to know if there is anything that they do these days where a vehicle of that size and horse power would be good. Years ago drag strips were fairly common. Is this still true?

George

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
It's impressive, but not real practical. Aren't there plans to put that engine in a Jeep GC? Soccer moms could terrorize Walmarts all over the country!!

Yes George, drag strips still exist. Tune in to ESPN or FS1 and watch the NHRA and IHRA competitions.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
For me, it would be fun just to own one!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Saw an TV commercial last night Jeep is coming out with a 707 HP Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It looks like they took the issues with getting the power to the road on the Hellcat and made a sweet ride.

The Trackhawk GC is going to be sweet as well. I looked for a SRT GC but couldn't find one for a decent price. Also heard they eat thru tires (No surprise) but every 6-10K vs 12-20K for other High profile Summer tires

Reactions: mdhira1

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Speleos said:
It's impressive, but not real practical. Aren't there plans to put that engine in a Jeep GC? Soccer moms could terrorize Walmarts all over the country!!

Yes George, drag strips still exist. Tune in to ESPN or FS1 and watch the NHRA and IHRA competitions.
I should have been more clear. I am writing about local strips where you take your daily driver and just compete for fun.

George

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
GeorgeC said:
I should have been more clear. I am writing about local strips where you take your daily driver and just compete for fun.

George
Like drive-in movies many have disappeared but many drag strips have survived. I live within an easy drive of 3-4 of them. Most all have nights where you can race anything you like.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,816 Posts
divotdug said:
Like drive-in movies many have disappeared but many drag strips have survived. I live within an easy drive of 3-4 of them. Most all have nights where you can race anything you like.
I heard a funny story about how someone deep-fried his Firebird in a burnout competition at Budds Creek. ;D

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Speleos said:
I heard a funny story about how someone deep-fried his Firebird in a burnout competition at Budds Creek. ;D
I'm sure it has happened more than once. You see it all the time with the burnout competitions at the various Carlisle events.

Back in 2014, Ralph Giles of Chrysler brought and entered a pre-production 2015 Challenger Hellcat into the burnout competition at the Mopar event. Put on quite a show. Still waiting for Ford or Chevy to bring a big HP Mustang or Camaro and do the same thing. Usually just someone destroying their car for a $100 gift certificate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFQTO8lcFU4

You have to get part way through the video before he realized he had the traction control on.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Scbearsfan said:
Saw an TV commercial last night Jeep is coming out with a 707 HP Grand Cherokee.
I'll take the JEEP! That almost ties my son-in-laws Porsche Cerrera S Turbo at 3.2sec from 0-60. Were down here in FL visiting our daughter and her man friend of 27 years. He has 2 Porsche's and 2 Challengers 2008 and 2010, plus several early 70s muscle cars. Will be getting a ride in the silver Porsche S sometime before Monday, when we return back to WI.

Hopefully I can win the lottery and get the JEEP! :hot:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts