GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...1 dirty Acadia! ;D

Just got back to Chicago last night from a trip in Western Michigan. We hit every lighthouse from St. Joseph to the South on up to Big Sable in Ludington. Great trip overall, but the Acadia definitely needed a good cleaning both inside (sand) and out (bugs/dirt). A few highlights from the trip.

1. Climbing to the top of Big Sable Lighthouse. 130 steps total, after a 1.5 mile hike thru the state park. Well worth the view, but a bit rough with a stroller.
2. Met a couple in Ludington visiting from Lansing, MI (home of the Lambdas). They commented about our Acadia and asked how we liked it. Their neighbor works at the plant and they were so proud of the product coming out of their hometown.
3. A lot of nice little towns along the way with very hospitable folks and picturesque scenery. We had a book that took us thru the back roads and while a slightly longer trip, the experience of local life was wonderful.
4. Little Sable Lighthouse...while you can't climb this one(yet), it is the epitome of what a lighthouse and its surroundings should look like...IMO.
5. Saw a caravan of about 35 Corvettes cruising thru the main drag of Pentwater, MI. Mostly C6 models, but one 65-67 model thrown in the mix as well. Spotted another group of 4 Corvettes cruising together at Little Sable (2 late 60's/early 70's green and 2 orange C6).
6. The Acadia handled everything with ease and comfort. Can't even begin to imagine having to do this trip in my last car or even my wife's Envoy.
7. We made it thru the Borman alive and without stopping...for those who have not been thru there, it is not often you get to drive thru without sitting bumper to bumper or at a slow crawl. Hitting it at about 9pm must be the trick!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Glad you had a great time! Did you hit the kite festival?? Sorry the weather was a bit chilly.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we sort of saw the kite festival...we were in Grand Haven on Friday so it was mostly just getting set up and people praticing so nothing too exciting. It was a bit chilly but surprisingly I managed to get sunburned on my face as we enjoyed the beach and let our son play in the sand for an hour or so.

As for pictures, I'm having a bit of a problem with my software so I need to try a different approach. I pretty much just have lighthouse pics, so I'll try to get some loaded on here when I get it worked out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes yes pictures please.

I'm from the Chicago suburbs as well. Been wanting to take a nice little road trip with our Acadia. Perhaps lighthouses it is.

We should have a forum in here dedicated to Acadia roadtrips. So we can document all the different places we've taken our Acadia's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd be happy to share some suggestions for fun things to see and do in West Michigan anytime!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Any photos of said 11 lighthouses and 700+ miles of fun?

Adam

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pictures as promised...multiple posts. Sorry!

BTW should this topic be moved to 'Off-Topic'?

1. St Joseph
2. South Haven
3. Holland
4. White River

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
more pics...

1 and 2. Little Sable
3. Ludington
4. Big Sable

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last ones...

1st Photo was what I had to climb up thru to get to the top of Big Sable (Black and White tower cylindrical tower in photo set above.

2nd Photo was the view from up top looking North.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey.....no Grand Haven photo?? :eek:hno:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry Laurie...Here are some Grand Haven shots ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm teasing. Great shots of all the lighthouses. What a great adventure you went on.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just remembered another highlight from the trip.

On our very first day we were just leaving the St Joseph lighthouse parking area and what was driving towards us? Coincidentally a Carbon Metallic Acadia just like mine. Couldn't tell if it was SLE/SLT or FWD/AWD, because I was looking at the owners. The look on both our faces had to be priceless... :) I wonder if they are on the forum...hmmm.

·
Registered
405 Posts
imgntht said:
Last ones...

1st Photo was what I had to climb up thru to get to the top of Big Sable (Black and White tower cylindrical tower in photo set above.

I could never do that. I am deathly scared of hights can bairly do the third floor at the mall. going up stares to the top of a light house would kill me. I wouldn't do it for 100,000 dollars. I always ask for a first or second floor room at hotels. I cant ever think of a time that hights didn't bother me.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rollin' Thunder said:
imgntht said:
Last ones...

I could never do that. I am deathly scared of hights can bairly do the third floor at the mall. going up stares to the top of a light house would kill me. I wouldn't do it for 100,000 dollars. I always ask for a first or second floor room at hotels. I cant ever think of a time that hights didn't bother me.
Well I'm no fan of heights either, but after the long walk to get there, I wasn't going to make it all for nought. I was gripping the railing on the way up pretty tight and calculated my steps. As you can see in the one picture, the steps had holes in them by design so it was a weird feeling looking down at the step as you climb higher. There were platforms at certain levels, to stop and look out a porthole window. I was more worried someone else would be coming down as I go up and we'd meet on a step rather than a platform. Due to the spiral design, there really wasn't any room for two people to be on the same step at one time and there was probably 20-30 steps in betwen platforms.

Once to the top I was really freaked out. The space between the tower and the railing was maybe 3-4 feet wide, but the wind off the lake was strong enough to push me off balance when I first stepped out the door. I kept my back touching the tower and just sort of scooted all the way around. I snapped a few pics and then tried to get back inside. My pictures looking down include the railing in the foreground as I refused to lean over the edge to get the shot.

I think for me its not so much the fear of heights, as it is the fear of falling!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts