GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so we are having serious "where is the appropriate place to put stickers" issues. Last week it was on the windows while I was driving (major freakout from me). Today, she exits the car, takes off the nametag sticker from her first day of golf, and puts it ON THE SIDE OF THE CAR, and presses it down *firmly*. :nono: :angryfire: :confused:

Of course, the first layer of paper ripped off when she quickly tried to rip it off before I saw it. I got to it when it was shreds of paper with lots of the sticky glue. Tried to carefully peel off what I could, and eventually got all the paper off, but now there is tons of left over glue on the car!

I would normally use something like "Goo B Gone" or something else like that, but am terrified it will trash the paint or clear coat (we have the Carbon Metallic).

Thoughts on this (she was in BIG trouble and I am OK on the discipline side-- no advice on that, thanks! ;) )

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
What aout some bug and tar remover and a spot application of wax?

As for the child...oh boy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Seriously, it's just a sticker. Better than the chalk that my son decided my truck needed on the side of it.

I imagine some goo-gone will remove it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
There is also a product called Sticker Blaster that will get the residue off. I believe that AutoZone still sells this product.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Goo-Gone does have a note on the bottle that it may damage some automotive paints and to stay away from rubber.

You could try a pressure washer or a steam cleaner. Finally some Scratch-X will remove any remaining residue.

I have a 5 year daughter and she undersatnds where she can put her stickers. I've been lucky so far.
I cannot stand seeing cars with the rear windows plastered with stickers.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I use WD-40 to remove sticker goo, but I am not sure if it would be OK on paint. I'm thinking not. I do know that some of the gentle cleaning products, like what is in some of the all in one cleaner/polisher/sealer waxes will take off sticker goo. Good luck!!

PS - When my son was 2 and we were doing sidewalk chalk on the drive, I saw him start to head towards Mommy's car with the chalk. I immediately stopped him and told him not to do it and that it would scratch the car and make Mommy sad. :). That worked. But then he pointed to the hood of my car and said ... "Daddy!! Who did that!!!" and when I looked I had a sidewalk chalk mural on the hood of my car. I guess kids are kids. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've always just used a cloth soaked in super hot water and let it sit on the sticky stuff for a while. Then it comes off like nothing and no harsh chemicals..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Don't know if you resolved the sticker problem but I owned a business that manufactured the "pressure Sensitive" Label Stocks. Most of the products like Goo-Gone etc contain solvents that will damage some surfaces. I wouldn't suggest using them on anything but glass, ceramic etc.

WD40 or bug and tar remover are good choices but work slowly. That's OK in my opinion because they won't damage the clear coat. In fact, I use WD40 as a bug and tar remover on my cars... been doing it for years.

An additional tip for removing stickers from plastic surfaces which are not resistant to solvents is to use any oily food product such as butter, margarine, cooking oil, peanut butter, etc. It slowly turns the adhesive into a soft gooey blob that can be wiped off. By the way, water doesn't dissolve most pressure sensitive sticker adhesives but does work on "lick and stick" (gummed) labels.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A hair dryer to heat it up and then and your fingernails to scrape it off also work, although taking it to the car wash and using the power washer would be the quickest way to dispatch of the sticker.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gasoline! That's how I have always removed the 3M stickers that are left behind from when I have demoled/debadged previous vehicles. Let it soak a little then it comes right off. Wash the spot with soap and water once your done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
WD40 shouldn't hurt the paint. I've used it on several cars with no problems. We've also used it on the race car lower rear quarter to keep the rubber from sticking too bad during the burnout.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts